Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

"Pro" level products

I`m interested in what products people are using when you see boutique detailing shops claiming 3-4 years of protection from ceramic.

I have been in and out of the detailing scene for years, and have purchased all my stuff from autogeek/autopia and have yet to come across things of that "level."

Thanks!
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: "Pro" level products

If you`re looking just at longevity, it`s a crapshoot and dependent on many things.

To wit:

We have 2 cars with considerably different usage patterns; both protected with same set of `boutique` products/coatings:

1. At 3 years, 17k miles, Car 1 was still performing (w/ regards to coating) at about 85% `as applied`
    2. At 2 years, 42k miles, Car 2 was in need of re-polishing and re-coating.

1. Car 1 is about 5500 miles a year, no freeway, sits outside from April thru November but only really driven daily November thru April, short trips, no freeway.
    2. Car 2 is year round daily driver, generally always garaged, 25k miles a year, 95% freeway.

Both are in NE Ohio.

Same protection, varying usage far different likely outcomes. Freeway use, especially during winter, is very, very hard on a vehicles finish. Road salt, brine, chemical de-icers, road grime ain`t good for anything regarding a cars finish. Merely sitting outside in the elements has little effect on (this particular coating) coating degradation.

Point being, no claims listed on a box can even begin to adequately predict longevity. It`s the ultimate YMMV scenario. And in NE Ohio, longevity based merely on the passage of time is a poor barometer of coating performance. Heck, I can take a 6-month `coating-lite` product like Gyeon CanCoat, plop it on a car that only goes out in nice weather 3 months of the year and it`ll last for years.

I (personally) think that for cars that are actually used/driven frequently, unless coating is a self-healing product (that actually works), anything beyond 2-3 years is pointless for someone who is mildly OCD-ish about vehicle appearance. With a black daily driver, even if my coating was still doing well after 2 years/42k miles, the car woulda needed to be re-done due to defects instilled over the course of those miles in a harsh world. A coating with a 5-7 longevity, even if it were accurate, is not something I personally would ever need though others may have different needs. Since the whole `eleventy-billionH hardness` is pretty useless when discussing scratch resistance of a coating, the world will eventually take it`s toll on the paint w/ respect to scratches, scuffs and other road-borne injuries.
    Likes Loach, JustJesus, billg71, RMD, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks William_Wallace thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

To answer the other part of the question, I think some of the products a pro detailer may be using are only sold to "certified" installers and aren`t available to the general public via retailers like AG, Autopia, Detailed Image, etc.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes John U, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    To answer the other part of the question, I think some of the products a pro detailer may be using are only sold to "certified" installers and aren`t available to the general public via retailers like AG, Autopia, Detailed Image, etc.
    I want to get into that "certified" installer realm...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by travbee View Post
    Generally you need to have a business address, insurance and in many cases go through their accreditation ($$) process/program. If you have all of that, contact whichever company you`re interested in and enroll in the `process`.

Just because something is `certified` is not a guarantee that any given product is better (whatever `better` means). There`s a whole cornucopia of coatings outside of the Autopia/Autogeek world that are very good and still available to the consumer.
    Likes JustJesus, billg71, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Not easy to do unless you have a business.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Even if you have an established business no guarantee that you can use “pro” products since the supplier will protect a current business based on proximity of the new business... NO FREE MARKET....
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards
    Likes Stokdgs, BudgetPlan1, travbee liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

The easiest to get Pro product would be Blackfire or Wolfgang from autogeek.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    The easiest to get Pro product would be Blackfire or Wolfgang from autogeek.
    Are those really “pro” products just because it has pro in the name?

To me they are still consumer grade coating was they are available to anyone.

I would consider pro the likes of GTechniq Crystal Serum Ultra, Cquartz Finest, IGL Kenzo, Opticoat.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Stokdgs, BudgetPlan1, Desertnate, travbee liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m interested in what products people are using when you see boutique detailing shops claiming 3-4 years of protection from ceramic.

I have been in and out of the detailing scene for years, and have purchased all my stuff from autogeek/autopia and have yet to come across things of that "level."

Thanks!
    I often wonder the same. There’s a lot a pros on this forum. One might pm you with an offer you can’t refuse. What product are you looking for?

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by [B
    travbee;2178080]I want to get into that "certified" installer realm..[/B].
    travbee - How many years experience do you have paint correcting, and how did you do it? How many vehicles have you paint corrected per year ?

In my experience with Coatings, ( I started with Zaino over 20 years ago), they were great when they first came out over 15 years ago.. It was a free market, not many manufacturers..
    Then some started getting really smarty-pants, and decided if their coating was that good, they should charge more for it, and restrict that now way higher price/s to their "people" who had to have a legit business, business license, etc., the whole shebang..

Then, the one I was using made the price requirement so high, I just let it go.. I did not have the Client Market I had before that could afford it, so I knew it was not going to work for me any longer in my new location..

Now, it is even more expensive and more requirements to go through on some products to have their "pro" versions if that is what they really are..
    I believe some even make you buy so many syringes of it a year, if you want to keep on their supply chain..
    So perhaps they have taken on the 7+ decades old Avon marketing strategy...

There are now a LOT of choices in the coatings industry, with new ones introduced bi-yearly/yearly, etc... All making claims about being the best but no one has any real world testing results that can be seen, much less verified very well..

Everything that has been said about coatings above by all these great men, is true and based on real-world experiences...

I had my first Optimum coating go just past 5 years awhile back, and was still holding up, when I removed it and re-applied the last syringe I had of that product..

And, as has been accurately stated above, your experiences will vary, depending on all those conditions already said above..

Good luck with your research !
    Dan F
    Likes BudgetPlan1, travbee liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Are those really “pro” products just because it has pro in the name?

To me they are still consumer grade coating was they are available to anyone.

I would consider pro the likes of GTechniq Crystal Serum Ultra, Cquartz Finest, IGL Kenzo, Opticoat.

I would say that the Wolfgang in the syringe and Blackfire in the bottle can give similar results to some of the "pro" products.

Post Thanks / Like

Go CQUK 3.0 - 1-2 years depending on conditions, usage etc. - Light to medium polish, then go again - 3+ years is horse biscuits, sure it might still be there... but it`s swirled up! (unless you`re Accumulator!)

Likes wannafbody liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

travbee:
    One thing to consider is staying with and using ONE manufacturer`s product line to avoid the possibility of incompatibility. Not so sure if that is the case with coatings, but there was some discussion on CarPro Essence not being "friendly" with other coatings and may be the underlining reason why some of them failed early or looked "muted` after a while.

Accumulator`s "disdain" for Meguiar`s compounds and polishes with their Trade-Secret Oils (TSOs) used as the emulsifier and lubricate with the abrasives in their formulations can cause havoc with some waxes in his experience, if not removed with some type of prep solution.

Dr. Beasley has come out with new line of compounds and polishes that do not require a prep-wipedown to remove emulsifiers and lubricants and actually preps the surface for their coatings.

I say this because their are a host of "pro-grade" product lines available to hobbyist detailer. The "problem" is that not all car-care product manufacturers offer ALL the products for a complete start (wash) to finish (quik-detailer) of the entire detailing process. It may require choosing products from several manufacturers, including a"specialty" product for a specific detailing task (like trim restorer from Solution Finish). What manufacturer`s products work with other products comes from experience and trial-and-error. And that is the reason I and so many others belong to this Autopia forum. I learn from other`s posted experiences to avoid my own trial-and-error. It is my "most invaluable" detailing tool and the reason why I continue to detail vehicles and enjoy it.

As you can see, your post here is the beginning of that process.
    GB detailer
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Stokdgs, travbee liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Dr Beasley is a dark horse product line I have used for customers and have always been blown away, most of their products have written and video instructions, no secrets, just products that work as stated.
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards
    Likes Stokdgs, travbee liked this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information