Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: "Pro" level products

Heh heh, who would`ve thought I`d get mentioned twice in a thread about Pro Coatings?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs
    Accumulator`s "disdain" for Meguiar`s compounds and polishes with their Trade-Secret Oils (TSOs) ...
    Heh heh, I`d hate to try stripping the ones in M205 well enough for a Coating, even if others do find it easy-peasy.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Here`s my opinion of Meguiars. They are a well known company but take just about any of their products and you can find a comparable product that`s better from a different manufacturer. Ultimate compound and polish were supposed to be groundbreaking. Griots compounds and polishes are easier to work with and remove. For an OTC product line, I`d pick Mothers or Griots over Meguiars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    I would say that the Wolfgang in the syringe and Blackfire in the bottle can give similar results to some of the "pro" products.
    That may be true but what I was getting at is that a "pro" coating to me would be one that requires authorization to purchase and apply. Most of these coatings available to the average consumer would fall into the consumer/prosumer.

Here is another example for you, Cquartz UK 3.0 and TiO2 are both sold in 100ml bottles that are labeled as "Pro Size". We all know that these are prosumer coatings. And yes they rival professional grade coatings.

How about a company like Sonax, P&S or Meguiar`s who only have one coating sold to both the consumer and professional?

I think you see where I am going.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    travbee:

Dr. Beasley has come out with new line of compounds and polishes that do not require a prep-wipedown to remove emulsifiers and lubricants and actually preps the surface for their coatings.
    If they only came in a better package than those lotion bottles which look terrible at dispensing product. I get it in that they want to stick with their Dr. theme.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

This has been a great discussion so far.

I have detailed and corrected paint on hundreds of cars over the past 20 years since Ive been in and out of the hobby.

I have always used prosumer grade products and have had great results. I simply have not taken it to the next step where I open my own shop and do it full time, it has always been something I do for fun, family, side money, word of mouth etc.

If I`m at a car show and see a GREAT car with a poor finish, I`ll chat it up with the owner and go that route.

Basically I have a decent full time job and I have never put detailing completely first where it is a "true" business, but the thought has crossed my mind. And if I go pro, just wondering about products that I should be using or even what exists as a PRO level product, so I`m taken seriously by prospective clients etc.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

In my area there is a pro detailer who is certified by IGL. I drive by his shop on a regular basis and I`m guessing that for every time they are open there is almost an equal amount of days that they are closed. Not sure they really make that much money after paying rent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by travbee View Post
    Basically I have a decent full time job and I have never put detailing completely first where it is a "true" business, but the thought has crossed my mind. And if I go pro, just wondering about products that I should be using or even what exists as a PRO level product, so I`m taken seriously by prospective clients etc.
    I would let the quality of your work be the driver of clients taking you seriously.

You`d be surprised at how many reputable pro`s with their own business and/or shops use the same prosumer products you can buy today.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes atgonzales, BudgetPlan1, Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bodidly22 View Post
    Go CQUK 3.0 - 1-2 years depending on conditions, usage etc. - Light to medium polish, then go again - 3+ years is horse biscuits, sure it might still be there... but it`s swirled up! (unless you`re Accumulator!)
    had a good laugh with this message
    Likes bodidly22 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Anytime I see Pro on a bottle of anything that is available to consumers I just think marketing scheme.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William_Wallace View Post
    had a good laugh with this message
    100% always comes from a position of love... we all love our Accumulator - and I`m one of his biggest fans.

We must speak the truth, in our homes in our workplace and especially in this forum... there is so much BS in this world. This overreacted virus has changed me.... for better or worse I have yet to decide.

Truth is now the forefront of my thoughts... i`ll leave you with an Emily Dickinson quote

Tell all the truth but tell it slant —

Success in Circuit lies

Too bright for our infirm Delight

The Truth`s superb surprise

As Lightning to the Children eased

With explanation kind

The Truth must dazzle gradually

Or every man be blind —

THE POEMS OF EMILY DICKINSON: READING EDITION, The Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, Copyright © Copyright © 1914

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    travbee - How many years experience do you have paint correcting, and how did you do it? How many vehicles have you paint corrected per year ?

In my experience with Coatings, ( I started with Zaino over 20 years ago), they were great when they first came out over 15 years ago.. It was a free market, not many manufacturers..
    Then some started getting really smarty-pants, and decided if their coating was that good, they should charge more for it, and restrict that now way higher price/s to their "people" who had to have a legit business, business license, etc., the whole shebang..

Then, the one I was using made the price requirement so high, I just let it go.. I did not have the Client Market I had before that could afford it, so I knew it was not going to work for me any longer in my new location..

Now, it is even more expensive and more requirements to go through on some products to have their "pro" versions if that is what they really are..
    I believe some even make you buy so many syringes of it a year, if you want to keep on their supply chain..
    So perhaps they have taken on the 7+ decades old Avon marketing strategy...

There are now a LOT of choices in the coatings industry, with new ones introduced bi-yearly/yearly, etc... All making claims about being the best but no one has any real world testing results that can be seen, much less verified very well..

Everything that has been said about coatings above by all these great men, is true and based on real-world experiences...

I had my first Optimum coating go just past 5 years awhile back, and was still holding up, when I removed it and re-applied the last syringe I had of that product..

And, as has been accurately stated above, your experiences will vary, depending on all those conditions already said above..

Good luck with your research !
    Dan F
    I have had wonderful results with Optimum when they had the more reasonable priced Opti-Coat. Just loved the looks of it on my black extremely soft G35. Just looked gorgeous every time I washed the car. I had to look back at her twice it was so stunning, I couldn`t believe I had prepped and applied this product the very first time. If I had known they were going to go bonkers on the price I would have ordered more syringes and kept them in a vacuum sealed bag. Ever since then I have been wandering in the desert hoping for another Opti-Coat like product.
    The car was still stunning the day I sold it years later.
    Sorry for the rant.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RZJZA80 View Post
    Anytime I see Pro on a bottle of anything that is available to consumers I just think marketing scheme.
    You mean such as the some of Megs pro line?

Post Thanks / Like

not sure if some people will like what I am going to say about car products....I use to play golf two times a week...always went online to try to fine out what golf ball was best for me...like car products golf ball company`s has a golf ball that goes farther then any other ball...goes higher...goes lower...stops on a dime on the green...etc...then I seen my playing partners go looking for golf balls in the woods...lakes...and sure as crap they hit that ball and wow it goes so far...stops on the green...so then I realized it doesn`t matter what you pay for a ball an old one found in the lake was just as good...its like car care products...one better to use because it shines better...more glossy...last for ten years..etc...I am an old timer always have my car`s looking the best...years ago we just had wax..and the cars looked great...no buffers...just hand wax...now we have have sealants...coatings...special wax...just sio2..and then uber SIO2...both made by the same company...also there`s Gyeon...on and on...I feel sorry for newbie trying to figure out what to use...LOL I just ordered WFG ceramic booster...LOL now I can throw out my old SIO2 silica spray
    Likes bodidly22, wannafbody liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bodidly22 View Post
    Go CQUK 3.0 - 1-2 years depending on conditions, usage etc. - Light to medium polish, then go again - 3+ years is horse biscuits, sure it might still be there... but it`s swirled up! (unless you`re Accumulator!)
    Just as a data point, I applied CQuartz UK 2.0 (not 3.0) to my daughter`s car over 2.5 years ago. She lives in Oklahoma where the weather isn`t all that harsh and the car sits in a garage at both home and work. The only attention it gets is a good washing like I taught her and a wipe down with Ech20 about once every 6~8 weeks. The coating actually seems to be holding up better than a 1.5 year application of CQUK 3.0 on my wife`s car, and the swirls are minimal, probably due to the infrequent washes.

This is by no means the norm, but it is actually possible! I fully expected to detail the car when she visited this summer, but really didn`t see the need.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

A golf ball’s performance does degrade the longer it sits in the lake. Lot’s of comparisons have shown that.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Two thoughts occur to me:

1) I`ve *dramatically* improved some of my results by switching to "better" products in a few categories. E.g., I can`t wash marring-free (even with my technique) using lower-quality shampoos. The diff was absolutely night/day.

In other cases (especially LSPs), any diffs were immaterial at best. E.g., the "Expert Detailer" who thought a car I did with 476S was wearing Dodo Juice because "nothing else looks quite like that!" Wrong wrong wrong...he wouldn`t believe it was Collinite even after I told him I was the guy who applied it

2) While I can see the (supposed ) rationale, I don`t like that I can`t buy "Pro" products.

I only coat things like wheels. Used to be I could get a coating that`d last many years (OptiCoat V1.0), but now such stuff is only available to Pros If I`m only gonna get a year or two, I`d rather just apply FK1000P a few times instead.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information