Post Thanks / Like

What is a "gloss enhancer"?

I`m just looking to increase my understanding, and avert any incorrect or inappropriate use of products.

I rotate between two wash soaps - PB SSS and CG Citrus Wash`n`Gloss. I know that the SSS rinses "clean" and I use it prior to any LSP or machine work. I know that the CG has "gloss enhancers" but isn`t supposed to have "wax". I saw a detailing retailer list it with their "wash and waxes". Honestly I don`t find it increases, restores or affects beading but the extra gloss is apparent (and I kind of like it).

What is it? Can it build up? Is it bad (which is different than sub-optimal) to use prior to reapplying an LSP? Do they negatively affect LSPs, plastics, hydrophobic windshield coatings or anything else?

Just curious....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is a "gloss enhancer"?

Quote Originally Posted by Surly View Post
    I`m just looking to increase my understanding, and avert any incorrect or inappropriate use of products.

I rotate between two wash soaps - PB SSS and CG Citrus Wash`n`Gloss. I know that the SSS rinses "clean" and I use it prior to any LSP or machine work. I know that the CG has "gloss enhancers" but isn`t supposed to have "wax". I saw a detailing retailer list it with their "wash and waxes". Honestly I don`t find it increases, restores or affects beading but the extra gloss is apparent (and I kind of like it).

What is it? Can it build up? Is it bad (which is different than sub-optimal) to use prior to reapplying an LSP? Do they negatively affect LSPs, plastics, hydrophobic windshield coatings or anything else?

Just curious....
    Gloss enhancers are any left over product meant to leave shine and/or protection. Most soaps use polymers for this. Some use SiO2 (or some polymer form to get SiO2 on the paint, which you may have heard by now), and some use wax such as carnauba. Terminologies in the detailing business (particularly chemical companies) interchange words all the time. In this case I think CG doesn’t include carnauba wax but likely includes polymers which are the main ingredient of ‘synthetic (man made) wax’ which is another often used term. So it would t have surprised me if this had been on the retailer list with the wash and waxes due to polymer content but whatever.

Regarding your final questions:
    Gloss enhancers can build up but the amount you are getting from that CG wash or most other washes (some SiO2 washes being the exception) is minimal, so you are only building minimal on top of minimal and honestly the wash itself probably knocks out the previous gloss enhancers from the previous wash.

Gloss enhancers aren’t bad to use prior to LSP unless doing a coating or any other product that states it needs a bare or prepped surface (coatings and SiO2 products generally). I would say that using these soaps before most sealants and waxes is sub-optimal, not bad. I think most sealants and wax solvents will dissolve these minimal gloss enhancers during application.

The only way gloss enhancers like these would negatively impact an LSP on paint, glass or trim would be by masking the superior qualities of those LSPs. It’s not ‘harming’ or degrading the LSP more than a traditional soap but it can clog pores of coating or mingle with sealants or waxes to change the water behavior or look. Whether you can wait a week or so and have those qualities go back to normal LSP status probably depends on whether the gloss enhancers mixed with the LSP layer or merely layered separately and fully wash away with time, rain or the next car wash. Some of my terminology in the last few sentences may be a bit flawed but from a perspective of functionally understanding if gloss enhancers affect LSPs, hopefully it helps paint the picture.
    Likes William_Wallace, RMD liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Some soaps can leave a somewhat sticky substance on the paint.
    Likes William_Wallace liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

When I think gloss enhancer for me personally duragloss aqua wax was my gloss product. Could just be my eyes. Usually gloss product did not have epic beads more sheeting.
    Likes wannafbody, blucpe liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I never noticed anything from the Gloss Enhancers in the shampoos I`ve tried. Sure not saying that`s the norm though...once again, people here have posted about things that I never experienced and IMO *their* experiences are worth paying attention to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    Some soaps can leave a somewhat sticky substance on the paint.
    I`ve only experienced that with the (older versions of) ONR I`ve tried, but if a conventional shampoo doesn`t "all rinse away" I can sure imagine it happening...thinking "mystery ingredients left on paint".

Heh heh, !YMMV! again, like how you never get that from the Mr. Clean we both use in the house.

Thread Information