Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Products You Don`t Hear Too Much About Anymore...

Do they make Wizards car-care products anymore?? I remember that was a favorite on car show circuits in the 80`s and a local body shop and car parts supply store sold their products. Never bought or used them.

Another car-care product manufacturer is The Treatment Products, LTD out of Chicago IL. I bought their products in the 80`s at the mid-July Iola Car Show in central Wisconsin. What I remember is the carnauba wax came in a brown plastic tube, like tooth paste. GOOD STUFF back then. The company still exists.

Lestoil?? That was my early 70`s de-greaser for cleaning wheel wells as a teenage kid and washing my dirty towels and rags. I had to do them by hand as my Mom absolutely refused to wash them in the washing machine, and for good reason!! Spic-n-Span was another, but both of them were hard on the hands and really chapped them.

AND speaking of detergents, another former forum-favorite was Charlie`s Soaps (the liquid) for cleaning towels and early microfibers. Some Autopians would swear by it, other said ,meh!, and used Tide. I thought Charlie`s Soaps had (or has) sodium borate in it, a mineral better know as Borax. I do know it is a plant-based, hypo-allergenic detergent today.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Charlie’s Soap simply wouldn’t clean for me—both my MFs and my laundry— so I ditched it. It’s too bad because had it worked, it would be pretty economical.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Wizards is still sold by Rural King and API paint stores.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Do they make Wizards car-care products anymore?? I remember that was a favorite on car show circuits in the 80`s and a local body shop and car parts supply store sold their products. Never bought or used them.

Another car-care product manufacturer is The Treatment Products, LTD out of Chicago IL. I bought their products in the 80`s at the mid-July Iola Car Show in central Wisconsin. What I remember is the carnauba wax came in a brown plastic tube, like tooth paste. GOOD STUFF back then. The company still exists.

Lestoil?? That was my early 70`s de-greaser for cleaning wheel wells as a teenage kid and washing my dirty towels and rags. I had to do them by hand as my Mom absolutely refused to wash them in the washing machine, and for good reason!! Spic-n-Span was another, but both of them were hard on the hands and really chapped them.

AND speaking of detergents, another former forum-favorite was Charlie`s Soaps (the liquid) for cleaning towels and early microfibers. Some Autopians would swear by it, other said ,meh!, and used Tide. I thought Charlie`s Soaps had (or has) sodium borate in it, a mineral better know as Borax. I do know it is a plant-based, hypo-allergenic detergent today.
    I used the treatment in 1964when i worked for a pontiac dealer. Back then it wAS CALLEDSlax Supper X and was made in Dolton Ill. The owner died and his widow sold the formular to its present owners.It gave a super shine that no other wax was could match.
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    Prima
    Right on, has anyone pulled Prima out recently? Looks like their site is still up and running. After the gloss testing with Amigo I had Hydro and Hydro Max out last month to play around with after cleaning out the sprayers and a good shake, they were working great!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Loach View Post
    Right on, has anyone pulled Prima out recently? Looks like their site is still up and running. After the gloss testing with Amigo I had Hydro and Hydro Max out last month to play around with after cleaning out the sprayers and a good shake, they were working great!

Oh yeah...I have every single one of those in my cabinet. I need to reach for Hydro more but tend to get stuck on D156. Hydro Max is such a fantastic product but got pushed back in the cabinet with the release of all of the SI02 spray products (Hybrid Solutions/Seal and Shine etc).
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing
    Likes Loach liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larry A View Post
    I used the treatment in 1964when i worked for a pontiac dealer..It gave a super shine that no other wax was could match.
    By the time I tried it in the late `70s it was a system with a pre-cleaner, glaze, and wax. The wax was in a plastic tube..it wasn`t bad, more user-friendly than the Mirror Glaze stuff I was using, but much less so than the CleanerWax + StraightWax combos.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    By the time I tried it in the late `70s it was a system with a pre-cleaner, glaze, and wax. The wax was in a plastic tube..it wasn`t bad, more user-friendly than the Mirror Glaze stuff I was using, but much less so than the CleanerWax + StraightWax combos.
    I used SLAX in the early 70s. It was pretty big in So Cal with Porsche guys. I used it on my VW squareback LOL. Later Super X worked good for me. Great memories!

Post Thanks / Like

A couple more: Granatize paste wax. Blue in color and smelled like gun powder LOL

Blitz wax. Solid product IMHO and they`re about 5 miles from me in Ventura, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post

Lestoil?? That was my early 70`s de-greaser for cleaning wheel wells as a teenage kid and washing my dirty towels and rags.
    Wizards, still around, O`Reillys stocks some.
    Lestoil............ ACE hardware will fix you up!

Here`s an oldie a friend gave me years ago...........wax.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by uzj100 View Post
    Blitz wax. Solid product IMHO and they`re about 5 miles from me in Ventura, CA
    One Grand Blitz wax? Wow, that`s a blast from the past for me!

I love Blitz wax and it was the first "real" detailing product after leaving NuFinish behind. I loved the stuff, but it only lasted about 8 weeks and I was constantly re-waxing my cars. When applied to the silver BMW I owned at the time it would make the paint glow. Not an easy thing to do with silver paint!
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Blitz wax was my first real “premium” wax as well. I always held it in high regard.
    Likes tom p. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Blitz was big here when I first joined Autopia...usually as a topper for something like 3M IHG/etc. I never used it myself, having other stuff that seemed at least as good as what people were reporting.

uzj100- Huh, I don`t think I`ve ever even *heard* of SLAXor Ganitize! And, heh heh... the only Super-X I know from is related to another industry entirely

Post Thanks / Like

Has anybody here ever used the original Simonize? Like from the days of "Motorists wise, choose Simonize"?

I never did, not after what my mother said about it being so much harder to use than M16 (which was challenging enough for my younger self, who probably tended to use too much product).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Yeah, Blitz was big here when I first joined Autopia...usually as a topper for something like 3M IHG/etc.
    That was the combo I used on my car and customer cars. always looked great!

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread Information