Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Products You Don`t Hear Too Much About Anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Lonnie- Some old-school draftsmen I`ve known were *incredibly* skilled, and I bet you are too. Just the regular *handwriting* of people who really know how to wield a writing implement can blow me away...genuine pleasure just to look at it. In some cases I believe it`s an innate gift that some rare people are born with.
    Not me! I had to practice, practice, practice my hand block printing EVERY day in technical school. I was fortunate enough to have an old-school drafting instructor (even by those standards in those days) who made all his students hand-print lines of text he wrote on the blackboard (what`s that!?) onto 3X5" index cards and be graded accordingly. To this day I STILL hand-print checks, mail envelop addresses, & application or information forms because of this "ingrained" training. People marvel at how precise and crisp it looks, even today because you just do not see that anymore. Just takes me forever to do so, which drives my better half bonkers and she has to wait for me to finish filling them out , like at healthcare offices.
    I was not a natural draftsmen by any means, but my technical school instructor did teach me how to draw and read blueprints. I loved making technical drawings and I considered myself a "good" draftsmen when I graduated. When you have a passion for something, you tend to work very hard to become "good" at it, like vehicle detailing!

(Old draftsmen never die; they just draw flies!)
    GB detailer
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie- Actually, that`s even more impressive! You had to *work* at it, and you did what it took to gain mastery. I honestly wish I`d received such training when I was younger, bet I`d simply love reading your handwriting
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Writing in cursive these days is getting to be an endangered species. My handwriting always sucked. Doesn’t help I’m lefty . I admire those who can write in Cadillac script-like calligraphy.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Not me! I had to practice, practice, practice my hand block printing EVERY day in technical school. I was fortunate enough to have a very-old school drafting instructor (by those standards in those days) who made all his students hand-print lines of text he wrote on the blackboard onto 3X5" index cards and be graded accordingly. To this day I STILL hand-print checks, mail envelop addresses, & application or information forms because of this "ingrained" training. People marvel at how precise and crisp it looks, even today because you just do not see that anymore. Just takes me forever to do so, which drives my better half bonkers and she has to wait for me to finish filling them out , like at healthcare offices.

)

Same here I took drafting courses every year in Highschool. No autoCAD so it was drilled into us how we had to write. It drove my mother nuts. She was an elementary school teacher. And she would say "All those years teaching proper handwriting wasted just to draw a picture".

However, I got the last laugh and went into Medicine. Now my handwriting is atrocious.
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Pledge streakes like crazy

Post Thanks / Like

Kerosene 1 cup to a bucket of water was the first rinseless car wash. Sponge on a section at a time , wipe with a towel and then wipe with a dry towel. If you did this all the time , the metal clips that held mouldings on which were metal would help prevent rust.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, since my extensive list of car-care manufacturer`s/name you don`t hear much about in post #13 of this thread, I must add one:
    Surf City Garage
    I do remember that they were offered for a while at Walmart, but I do not see them anymore there.. I assume they have been supplanted by Chemical Guy`s.

I go back to SCG and their Professional Line that they introduced a while back. I see Autopian All-Star Sizzle Chest using SCG Pro Glass Cleaner listed in his products used in his posted details, so I know someone is still using their products.

Anyone else use these products yet, or are they gathering dust on the back shelf of car-care products??
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I liked the Surf City Garage Tire Conditioner it always made my tires nice and black.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

The Surf City interior Detailer is pretty good. I find it has more cleaning ability than the Megs one.

Post Thanks / Like

Blackfire Paint Sealant, aka the original Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protectant (WDAFPP). This was discussed a ton 5+ years ago but has since been supplanted by BF’s newer offerings; One Step, SiO2 Spray Sealant, and BlackICE Liquid. But the sealant and the combo with Midnight Sun wax are still amazing.
    Likes JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    OK, since my extensive list of car-care manufacturer`s/name you don`t hear much about in post #13 of this thread, I must add one:
    Surf City Garage
    I do remember that they were offered for a while at Walmart, but I do not see them anymore there.. I assume they have been supplanted by Chemical Guy`s.

I go back to SCG and their Professional Line that they introduced a while back. I see Autopian All-Star Sizzle Chest using SCG Pro Glass Cleaner listed in his products used in his posted details, so I know someone is still using their products.

Anyone else use these products yet, or are they gathering dust on the back shelf of car-care products??
    I just used the Surf City Grime Destroyer (Tar Remover Gel) the other day
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Blackfire Paint Sealant, aka the original Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protectant (WDAFPP). This was discussed a ton 5+ years ago...
    I got mine long before they came up with the "Wet Diamond" name; I still had the dealership building for my shop and that was last-century. Utterly unfavorable impression, one of the two/three LSPs I`ve ever stripped off...using it up on calipers.

But OTOH...I can see why somebody else *would* like it. It did the "darkening" thing rather dramatically, made the car look completely different, like a whole `nother paint code.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Utterly unfavorable impression, one of the two/three LSPs I`ve ever stripped off...using it up on calipers.
    This might be the first time we`ve had different experiences. I never "looked back" or stared at the wife`s Kia so much as I did when it had the Wet Ice Over Fire combo.

This was a fun thread to read through.
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larry A View Post
    Kerosene 1 cup to a bucket of water was the first rinseless car wash. Sponge on a section at a time , wipe with a towel and then wipe with a dry towel. If you did this all the time , the metal clips that held mouldings on which were metal would help prevent rust.
    Yep, remember by co worker doing that in the late 60`s early 70`s. Had the shiniest pickup on the job!!! He said he always did that in the morning before it got too hot cause it would streak otherwise. If it was really dirty he would substitute Lestoil instead of kerosene.
    Thanks
    Bill G

1972 Buick GS Stage 1
    1 of 728 made
    1 of 1 SCO color combo

Post Thanks / Like

Early 70`s when I got my first GS, I used nothing but AstroShield. I remember when they redid some potholes I got po`d, but I had so many coats of this stuff on that when I hit it with the hose it came right off. Back in the day that was the slickest stuff that I ever used.
    Thanks
    Bill G

1972 Buick GS Stage 1
    1 of 728 made
    1 of 1 SCO color combo

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread Information