Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Products You Don`t Hear Too Much About Anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Rain Dance was a `cleaner wax`? Had no idea Products You Don`t Hear Too Much About Anymore......nor did I even know what a cleaner wax was. Fortunately there really wasn`t much black plastic on the cars we were using it on but it didn`t much like gray primer either; at least one panel was always in primer because, well `race car` Products You Don`t Hear Too Much About Anymore...

Who had money for paint when ya hadda spend your $2.65/hr minimum wage on Hooker/Hedman/Blackjack headers and Thrush glasspacks?
    Shooting primer over perfectly decent paint added like 20 hp back then.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RMD View Post
    Shooting primer over perfectly decent paint added like 20 hp back then.
    Flip that air cleaner lid for another 10! Products You Don`t Hear Too Much About Anymore...
    Likes wannafbody, grisby, mobenzowner liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    It`s amazing how many other products I`ve kept around that long went bad in the bottle, but Klasse never seems to age...
    Funny, but completely different experience here; I could probably count on one hand the Detailing products that have gone bad for me due purely to age. I`m still using up *so* much stuff that was "pretty old" before we moved here in 2000.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Rain Dance was a `cleaner wax`? Had no idea Products You Don`t Hear Too Much About Anymore......nor did I even know what a cleaner wax was...
    The Cleaner Wax + Straight Wax combo worked even better back in the days of ss than it does with b/c. Actually worked quite well IME and "modern versions" of it are still working great for me 40-some years later
    Fortunately there really wasn`t much black plastic on the cars we were using it on but it didn`t much like gray primer either; at least one panel was always in primer because, well `race car`..
    After Two Lane Blacktop came out, Primer = RaceCar was indeed even more popular, though some famous Hot Rods were *always* in primer, some of `em still wear that same primer today, half-century or more later!

We had a version of "matte paint jobs" back then too...I got the idea from Ian Fleming and his description of Bond`s souped-up old Bentley, which was based on a real car (which was indeed painted with Royal Navy Battleship Gray (semi-flat) paint). A pal of mine had a Nova painted in (ss) flat *silver* and it turned out really cool (he used TR3 on it with great results, we *all* thought that car looked great).

..B/F Goodrich Radial T/A tires slathered in ArmorAll...good to go!
    Ya know...actually, well..yeah. I used gallons of (the original) ArmorAll on tires (yep, including BFG T/As!) and *NEVER* had any problems. No sling (after the first dumb try that I learned from), no "rubber degradation" that people talk about..no problems at all after that first "way too much product" experience (when I also learned about using it on floor mats ).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I don’t hear much about Valugard and its ABC decontamination system any more although it remains my number one way to decontaminate and prep a car.
    I gather they don`t really *want* to make it a mainstream/enthusiast-lever product...if they did they`d probably have to add the "color-changing" feature.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you want to go back , how about Car Groom. Thats what we used before Meguiars came to the midwest. Car Groom was a great line , you could only buy it at a place that sold auto paint. before armor All we used Clear Floor Wax to make tires shine. Clear Floor Wax was also used on vinyl tops common back then .

Post Thanks / Like

Pledge was what we used in the late 60`s
    Likes BudgetPlan1, wannafbody liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

WD40 or kerosene to get single stage paint to shine
    Likes grisby liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    Growing up at our lake home an elderly lady a few doors down washed her car with kerosene and an old rag.. She said it left a paraffin film on it when it dried. I`ve heard of farmers doing this also on their machines.
    Likes wannafbody liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Astouffer512 View Post
    What exactly is liquid glass? From what I read some call it a wax, some call it a polish. It says to build layers with it?
    Adding to wannafbody’s response, the current version I own is simply a sealant. And they do recommend layering. I went through a month with it once but the look was pretty bland. I ended up doing 4 coats. Beading was good, I actually liked it at the time, but I was a newbie trying new stuff and I’m not sure how I would feel nowadays. The can/tin says it will last forever with cap tight and properly stored. Knowing what I know today, it’s unbelievable that it sells for $25-30.

Post Thanks / Like

Let`s just say that products like Liquid Glass, ReJex, Klasse AIO , and Collinite 845 Insulator wax are "classic chemical formulations" that still have their niche market appeal and use. Even Meg`s M16 Professional Car Wax had its day and appeal and probably still would, but Meg`s pulled the plug on its manufacturing after it could no longer met new government-mandated VOC regulations rather than change it formulation.

It is kind of like my career field of mechanical design/drafting and the drawing/graphics technology. When I started this career it was all manual drafting: paper vellum, technical pencils and lead hardness types, and drawing boards. Very tedious and time consuming. But the individual technical art-work was outstanding and it was very easy to tell who made what drawing and who was a good draftsmen or designer and who was not. When computer-aided drafting and design (CADD) came in, that all changed. All drawings looked identical. Now you used a computer and keyboard to "create" the technical art. What really changed was the speed that design changes could take place at and part dimensional accuracy. No more manual drawing "fudging" or out-of-scale parts or hand-calculated coordinate dimensions. When the computer-aided machining (CAM) portion came in, design and manufacturing processes were even more streamlined. it was old technology versus new technology. The point is, though, that drawings are still drawings. Parts could be made from old manual hand drawings or new CAD drawings. It was just a lot easier using the new CAD drawings and much of my CAD drafting was redrawing old hand drawings into CAD to "correct" manual drafting shortcomings or dimensional mistakes (engineering errors).
    The same could be said of old formulations of car-care products and newer formulations. Old formulations of Meg`s M16 shine as well or out-shine some of the newer formulations of sealants and coatings. What M16 does not have is the protection characteristics and application longevity of the newer sealant and coating formulations. So why use M16?? For me sometimes nostalgia is just that: a carnauba wax shine is unique in its look and when it is just applied it has a WOW-factor that is hard to beat (in my eyes anyway).

That said, it would "difficult" for me to back to manual drafting. Today`s 3-D graphics are so far removed from the manual drafting I did, just as today`s SiO2 coatings are from old canuaba waxes. But I REALLY miss the unique craftsmanship and art work of technical manual drawings made by gifted designers and drafters in those days and the skill sets it required. Which is why I still like to use old car-care chemical formulations sometimes: just to remember how much I did like it (and to use up that product in my stash!).
    GB detailer
    Likes mc2hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larry A View Post
    Do you want to go back , how about Car Groom. Thats what we used before Meguiars came to the midwest. Car Groom was a great line , you could only buy it at a place that sold auto paint...
    Hey, maybe *that* was the brand of Finishing Polish I used back then! I`ve been wracking my brain for ages trying to remember what it was...white bottle, black lettering, pink product.

Yeah, back in the day *everybody* bought all their Detailing stuff at paint stores, even the women in my family.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    -AND-

Quote Originally Posted by John U
    Growing up at our lake home an elderly lady a few doors down washed her car with kerosene and an old rag.. She said it left a paraffin film on it when it dried. I`ve heard of farmers doing this also on their machines.
    One of my friends` dads did that on his `62 Chevy. Hey, he got over 400K out of it driving year-round in Ohio, quite an accomplishment back then when everything rusted out so fast.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Old formulations of Meg`s M16 shine as well or out-shine some of the newer formulations of sealants and coatings. What M16 does not have is the protection characteristics and application longevity of the newer sealant and coating formulations. So why use M16?? For me sometimes nostalgia is just that: a carnauba wax shine is unique in its look and when it is just applied it has a WOW-factor that is hard to beat (in my eyes anyway)...
    I only recently quit using my M16. IME it lasted longer than quite a few sealants, protected better than some of `em too. I only liked its look on certain paints, but yeah..for me that "nostalgia factor" is definitely triggered by its scent. Great stuff to apply by machine too, as long as you don`t over apply/work it (which will change your day if it happens).

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie- Some old-school draftsmen I`ve known were *incredibly* skilled, and I bet you are too. Just the regular *handwriting* of people who really know how to wield a writing implement can blow me away...genuine pleasure just to look at it. In some cases I believe it`s an innate gift that some rare people are born with.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread Information