Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: SiO2 Ceramic Spray Sealant comparison test

I applied Wolfgang Uber Spray Ceramic coating a couple weeks ago. We`ve had a couple rain storms and their was some dirt on the car. I drove to the spray coin op and rinsed the car off, no soap was used. The water beading was quite impressive. After driving away and letting the car dry, it didn`t rinse as clean as I`d hoped it would.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    I applied Wolfgang Uber Spray Ceramic coating a couple weeks ago. We`ve had a couple rain storms and their was some dirt on the car. I drove to the spray coin op and rinsed the car off, no soap was used. The water beading was quite impressive. After driving away and letting the car dry, it didn`t rinse as clean as I`d hoped it would.
    Yeah i was hoping for that with Cquartz and it was a no go also. Even if snow foamed. It definitely protects against swirling better and the car looks cleaner longer but touchless washing/rinsing is a myth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Yeah i was hoping for that with Cquartz and it was a no go also. Even if snow foamed. It definitely protects against swirling better and the car looks cleaner longer but touchless washing/rinsing is a myth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed, now it comes down to an issue of longevity.

I had this car painted about a month ago. It`s been sitting outside. One day I cam home and found a bird bomb. I got some waterless wash and tried to remove it. It etched the clear. After applying Wolfgang, the bird bombs wipe off with ease and no etching.

Post Thanks / Like

SiO2 Ceramic Spray Sealant comparison test

Update 08/25/2020 (2.5 months):
    The car has been sitting in my driveway for a week due to a piece of metal stuck in a front tire and lack of availability to get it checked out and now new fronts put on.

But I was at least able to get some pics after a brief, heavy rain today. The car hasn’t been washed in a week.

Back Roof:

Now the front roof, which I accidentally screwed up. A week ago I mistakenly put PBL Waterless Wash on the drivers side front during drying aid. This is where VS1 is applied. VS1 was still looking really good during the wash before that. But here it appears there may be WW polymers masking the VS1 behavior. I’ll keep an eye on this. It’s harder to not touch certain panels than you’d think!

Front Roof

Since I haven’t been keeping tabs on this roof in the last few weeks, I’m going to pass on attempting performance rankings. Let the pictures do the speaking. All I’ll say is that, as expected, the back row of the back roof has degraded the most. And the area with VS1 clearly got masked a bit.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, roscopervis liked this post
    Thanks William_Wallace thanked for this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn`t count any of those as dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quick check in, pics taken after a day of heavy rain. This shows some weakness compared to the picks two posts above which were after only one quick downpour. I forgot the front roof with WG CSC and VS1, unfortunately.

Granted the car has not been cleaned in some time, clearly the back (lower) row of lighter maintenance sprays are showing more degradation than the front (upper) row of more substantial sprays. It is what it is though. The car has been outside for the last 7-10 days and in the shop briefly to have new front tires put on.
    Likes roscopervis, William_Wallace liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Update from Saturday 09/05/2020 (5 days short of 3 months):
    The X5 has continued to live outside as I have spent more than a week letting the Q5 have the garage to piecemeal correction/prep, etc.

In preparation for a vacation I gave a wash with DP Coating Maintenance Wash and afterwards took some water pics:

Back Roof:

First, I apologize about the angle as it’s hard to see the driver’s side results. And the side-angle spray impacts the sheeting of these and this is the only angle I took pics (was in a rush getting ready for my trip). Regardless here is my rankings of the middle roof coating lite wannabes as far as remaining performance at the near-three-month mark:

Coating lite wannabes:
    1) Wowo’s CS
    2) Feynlab
    3) IGL
    4) TW Hybrid Solutions CSC

Wowo’s is some stout stuff. More of a standalone than a topper from what I gather. For a dirt cheap option it’s a beast.

Feynlab co to yes it’s comeback tour, surpassing IGL. I respect the Feynlab Spray now especially when price is factored.

IGL showing signs of fading from the 2.5-3 month mark but certainly not dead.

TW is odd, some days it looks ok and other days it looks like it’s on its last leg. Today it looked pretty ok, on par with IGL.

The back row of maintenance sprays were looking in pretty rough shape so I took another round of water shots for just them:

I was happy enough that I can call a winner and a loser of this row and move on from it:
    1) Britemax Remax
    2) BF SiO2 Spray Sealant
    3) Mckees 365
    4) Jescar Bead-It

Britemax was a nice surprise as far as longevity and performance vs price.

BF SiO2 is solid which many people are aware of.

M37 365 is marketed as a 1 year spray coating but I’ve tested it 3 times now and it doesn’t perform top notch and lasts on the lower end of maintenance sprays.

I do want to shout out that despite Bead-It looking the most weathered/ dead the soonest, I actually like price and the application due to bring very simple and non-finicky. It’s the easiest of these 4 to use. Don’t deter from buying it if you like to apply things somewhat regularly (every 4-6 or 8 weeks).

Anyways, I then applied PA Gold Zirkon over the maintenance spray row as I didn’t feel confident in my back roof being protected from whatever vacation may throw at it during the next week. Back roof maintenance spray test is done.

Now the front roof.

Front Roof

Sorry, in my rush I forgot to take pics again. But WG CSC still looks very good. Beading and sheeting great.

VS1 looked hurt enough (not dead but not making me feel good about being on vacation with it) that I decided to also end its run and apply PA Gold Zirkon over it.

1) WG CSC looking great
    2) VS1 looked meh, it’s not removed from test

On a side note, here’s some beauty shots of the X5 with its new coat of Gold Zircon on top of 1.5 month old Infinity Wax, just because I’m flexing:

Thanks Coatings=crack thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I’m glad that the Wowo’s is starting to show it’s strengths on your side of the pond. It’s a great sealant, eschewing the ceramic trend and hype and just providing great durability at the sub coating level.
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

On the Mckees side of things, I`m disappointed in their 365 coating as well that I nabbed a sample of.
    Based on this/my own experience, I almost see it as inferior to their Hydro Blue product (just ordered a gallon of the Pro version which is just a more concentrated version of the consumer product).

Had nothing but praise for the original gallon of their non pro hydro blue spray on, rinse off to apply application.
    Saves these aching bones/joints so many steps with "good enough for me" results in the looks/durability aspect.
    /superlazydetailer
    Likes BudgetPlan1, acuRAS82 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much for running this test. Very helpful.

Now that all of the practical stuff is out of the way, I have one superficial question: Which of the maintenance sprays looked the best? Could you really tell any difference?

I`m going to run a winter torture test on a sealant this winter, but in the spring I`m going to coat my car again. Right now, one path I`m thinking is using a reliable, known coating like CQuartz, and then "playing" with a booster spray. On my family vehicles I simply coat them and keep them clean with good results, but after using CURE with CanCoat on my car I got hooked by the extra gloss you get from an occasional booster. I`ve used CarPro Elixr and Gyeon CURE, so it`s time to try something else.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BMWWW View Post
    On the Mckees side of things, I`m disappointed in their 365 coating as well that I nabbed a sample of.
    Based on this/my own experience, I almost see it as inferior to their Hydro Blue product (just ordered a gallon of the Pro version which is just a more concentrated version of the consumer product).

Had nothing but praise for the original gallon of their non pro hydro blue spray on, rinse off to apply application.
    Saves these aching bones/joints so many steps with "good enough for me" results in the looks/durability aspect.
    /superlazydetailer

Same here, I`ve been impressed with their products and sad to see this one failed so quickly.
    2005 Pontiac GTO
    2014 HD Street Glide
    2020 Volvo V60
    2019 Volvo XC60

Post Thanks / Like

SiO2 Ceramic Spray Sealant comparison test

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

Now that all of the practical stuff is out of the way, I have one superficial question: Which of the maintenance sprays looked the best? Could you really tell any difference?

I`m going to run a winter torture test on a sealant this winter, but in the spring I`m going to coat my car again. Right now, one path I`m thinking is using a reliable, known coating like CQuartz, and then "playing" with a booster spray. On my family vehicles I simply coat them and keep them clean with good results, but after using CURE with CanCoat on my car I got hooked by the extra gloss you get from an occasional booster. I`ve used CarPro Elixr and Gyeon CURE, so it`s time to try something else.
    I rarely comment on argumentative things I can’t prove unless it blows me away. And it’s really tough to see differences on these small panels.

With that being said, the best looking panel in the roof in my eyes is the back spoiler which has Kamikaze Infinity Wax, lol. Not part of the test but it has that different, smooth, rich look to it like the rest of the car. Beyond that I will just say that the panel with coating lite wannabes looks glossier/sharper than the maintenance spray row. The maintenance sprays don’t have as much glassy to them if my eyes are telling me objectively.

And whether it’s because of their location or larger area, the WG CSC and VS1 look like the glossiest and best flake-pop of the bunch. Could be that they’re at an angle but w/e. They look great.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Fair points, and thanks for answering.

I wasn`t sure if there were any of them which stood out from the other. I can see how the small squares would make it hard to tell much of a difference.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Fair points, and thanks for answering.

I wasn`t sure if there were any of them which stood out from the other. I can see how the small squares would make it hard to tell much of a difference.
    If on side panels, perhaps. But on the roof where I never look except when washing, it’s not something I see from many angles very often.

Post Thanks / Like

These will all easily last throughout Toronto`s winter months of Nov-April as they are all stronger, more durable candidates that what I used in the past, which is basically a sio2 booster spray (non-pro Hydro Blue).
    At least in my use, washing once a month (roughly) through a touchless car wash. While the beading disappears month 2-3, there is something left on the panel into the spring that makes the paint shed dirt very well with a touchless wash that cakes on the prewash/soap. This is for a daily driven car, on the highway for 10miles each way, but parked in a heated garage.

For winter, I`d honestly just pick whatever is cheapest and easiest to apply. The touchless wash resulted in a more than clean enough surface for me to comfortably do an ONR wash should I be tempted to (I fought the temptation). Could easily re-up with a booster spray at that point (I did not) if you cared about beading.
    Likes acuRAS82, Desertnate liked this post

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information