Post Thanks / Like

Expire / expiration Date Questions

I did not spend 10+ minutes researching (apologizes) but did a little research over time and used good judgement. Most water based products will last, just make sure to shake/mix before use if sitting for awhile.

My Question pertains to all products and hope to have feed back.

I have some 2-3 year old interior and exterior products that i am curious about how long i have until they can no longer be used. All are kept in a 65+ degree garage and all out of direct sunlight. All products range from CarPro, BlackFire, PoorBoys, Chemical Guys, etc... How long do leather cleaner/conditioners last? Interior protectants? Ceramic Coatings? Fabric Coatings? Etc... If you have a good idea about how long it should last or even how to restore the product please speak up. Again, let this include all products. A nice quick forum search of Expire or expiration would bring this thread up with tons of answers hopefully. If i am beating a dead horse and this was discussed else where please delete this post and point me in the right direction. Thank you.

I did find this thread to be helpful.
    https://www.autopia.org/forums/paint-correction-and-gloss-enhancement/184669-polishes-glazes-expire.html?highlight=expire
    1998 SVT Contour T-Red - Vortech, Built Trans, Centerlines, Suspension - SOLD
    2003 SVT Lightning Sonic Blue - Modded
    2010 SVT Raptor Molten Orange - Stockish
    2013 SHO Taurus Red - Stockish - SOLD
    2015 Ford Edge White - Stock

North Carolina Air National Guard. Veteran

www.facebook.com/dukedetails

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Expire / expiration Date Questions

Unless you have clumps forming in products, I wouldn`t worry about them expiring. I have a bottle of 845 that`s probably 15 years old and it`s fine. I have Zaino that`s about 12 years old and is fine.

Post Thanks / Like

csvtjohnga- You probably saw this on that other thread, but...

I could probably count on one hand the products that`ve gone bad from mere age...and that`s going back to the `70s. The *vast* majority of my current Detailing Products are at least a decade old, and they`re all still fine. I`m still using some Tony Nancy Leather Cleaner from the early `80s, and I recently used up some of my late father`s Armor All Interior Cleaner from well before that.

Some natural-stuff Leather Products *can* go bad, but it`s usually obvious (look/smell).

Now *Coatings*...some OptiCoat is one of those few products that did go bad for me, and I gather they all have a limited shelf-life.

YMMV of course, but I generally assume stuff is still OK and I`m hardly ever disappointed.

Post Thanks / Like

The only product I ever felt went bad vs drying out because of a leaky bottle, was a jug of Meguiar`s Gold Class shampoo. Like the other`s I`ve got quite a few products that are easily 5 years old and some which are well over a decade...maybe almost two!
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    The only product I ever felt went bad vs drying out because of a leaky bottle, was a jug of Meguiar`s Gold Class shampoo.
    Huh, that one surprises me. But I guess it gives me one more reason to dislike GC

My little jar of BHMA (remember *them*?!?) Interior Wood Wax (relabeled Zymol Detail) is *STILL* OK despite having had a cracked cap since 1985!

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I`m just shocked Accumulator used Armor All.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    Hey, that was the ORIGINAL protectant in the late 70`s and , yes, that is what I used. Some of the "early" version did turn some white vinyl headliners a yellow tinge, but it was better than using Pledge furniture polish on interior vinyl.\\
    I did buy a bottle of 303 Protectant that had gone "bad", unbeknownst to me, when it froze and then unthawed in a RV store`s off-season storage area and it smelled like bad body odor, literally. I returned it to the place I bought it and when they asked why, I took the sprayer head off and let them smell it . I had learned that this was a "problem" with this particular product when it froze from this forum. SO, if you see me smelling a bottle of 303 before I buy it, you`ll know why!
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    Back in the `70s it was about as good as such products got. I *still* think it`s under-rated, at least for what it is (thin, short-lived, overly glossy even when diluted). Again, I *NEVER* had any problems from it. I still have some (also my late father`s, probably from ~`84) and it was OK I the last time I used it.

When I switched to Pinnacle and Meguiar`s back in the `80s it was for the nicer (IMO) appearance, otherwise I never noticed any huge diffs between those "serious products" and AA.

Hey, the now-MIA ScottWax was still using it (diluted to cut the gloss) back when he was posting here.

The big surprise with the AA line was how abrasive their "clearcoat safe" cleanerwax was, now that stuff you had to be careful with!

Post Thanks / Like

I still use regular AA on the wheel wells of my dad’s vehicles. It’s good enough for him so that’s why I continue to use it. Boy is it a short lived product when exposed to any kind of water though.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I still use regular AA on the wheel wells of my dad’s vehicles..
    Yeah, IIRC that`s what ScottWax uses it for too. I tried it, but the SprayWaxes work out a lot better for me, in part due to their better durability.

Post Thanks / Like

I told my dad I’m going to switch to spray waxes as soon as the AA is used up
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Thread Information