Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Leatherette conditioner?

I recently bought a new to me, 2016 Mini Countryman S, and it came with "leatherette". I understand this is not a true leather, but more like a "pleather"/vinyl type of material.

Here`s my problem with it - I`ve never owned a car with anything other than cloth material. I have NO idea how to care for it, what products to use (or avoid using!) on this stuff. The main reason for this is I`ve spent most of my life driving around in Southern California, where leather and vinyl would give the back sides of your legs a nice burn during the summer. So, because of that, I`ve only ever dealt with cleaning cloth covered seats.

The only thing I`m aware of to use on something remotely close to leatherette is Armor All, and I`m afraid to use that because I remember a friend`s dad who used to use that on his bench seats in his pickup truck. You take a corner, and suddenly as a passenger, you`re sliding into the door or the driver. I`m not sure I want to use that, so I figured I`d ask here for suggestions on what to use that isn`t "high gloss" and "super slippery" for a car seat.

Anyone have any suggestions/recommendations? I truly haven`t a clue where to start.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leatherette conditioner?

Try Pinnacle Black Label Leather &Vinyl Coating. Doesn’t make slick or shiny more like brand new mattish appearance.

If not wanting to spend that much Adam’s leather conditioner or PBMG’s equivalent. The have alot of V&L conditioners

OTC: I use to use Mothers VLR and it was nice.

I ordered the Pinnacle because i wanted something that lasted months not weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have had really good results with gyeon leather.

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/gyeo...l#.XuIzLfZFyF4

Seats look fantastic on my 2011 Hyundai Sonata with coated leather. Started using Gyeon leather on my wife`s new to her VW Tiguan with Leatherette this past December. I just applied the second application last week. It is a small bottle but a little goes along ways. I have been using the same bottle since 2017. I`m not even half through it.

Post Thanks / Like

303. It makes it a little more slippery but it’s amazing at keeping plastic looking great.

Post Thanks / Like

Sprzout1977- I`d just keep it clean and occasionally wipe it with an Interior QD. I`ve found that high-quality interior vinyl basically doesn`t require any kind of conditioning at all and can last indefinitely without it.

If you were parking it outside year-round in AZ or something like that I`d approach it differently (and actually do something preventive), but unless there`s some indication that something actually needs to be done, eh...I`d just stick with the Int. QD.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Sprzout1977- I`d just keep it clean and occasionally wipe it with an Interior QD. I`ve found that high-quality interior vinyl basically doesn`t require any kind of conditioning at all and can last indefinitely without it.

If you were parking it outside year-round in AZ or something like that I`d approach it differently (and actually do something preventive), but unless there`s some indication that something actually needs to be done, eh...I`d just stick with the Int. QD.
    Well, actually, I kinda AM doing the "outside, year round" weather. I live in an apartment where I`m parking either in a carport or an uncovered, unassigned parking space, and when I park at work, it`s uncovered as well. I`ll give the QDs a shot, though - probably be just fine, but I wasn`t sure how this stuff should be cared for, since it`s not really leather and it`s not the cloth that I`m used to.

Post Thanks / Like

Sprzout1977- I predict you`ll find that`s sufficient.

Hope you like that Countryman, the AWD Minis really intrigue me!

Given any thought to using some kind of seatcover so you`re not sitting directly on the vinyl? The ancient Volvo wagon I used to have was a lot more pleasant to sit in once I got some cotton between me and its vinyl seats. Oh, and note that I inherited that after *years* of abuse/neglect and its vinyl was still OK. I never did give its seats any kind of treatment the whole time I had it, and last I heard they`re still perfectly OK for its current owner. Good vinyl is tough stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Sprzout1977- I predict you`ll find that`s sufficient.

Hope you like that Countryman, the AWD Minis really intrigue me!

Given any thought to using some kind of seatcover so you`re not sitting directly on the vinyl? The ancient Volvo wagon I used to have was a lot more pleasant to sit in once I got some cotton between me and its vinyl seats. Oh, and note that I inherited that after *years* of abuse/neglect and its vinyl was still OK. I never did give its seats any kind of treatment the whole time I had it, and last I heard they`re still perfectly OK for its current owner. Good vinyl is tough stuff.
    I actually REALLY like the Mini Countryman. We`d bought one before in 2013, for my wife; it was a great car. We drove it multiple times from San Diego to the Bay Area, and drove it out to Albuquerque one year to visit wife`s brother and his family. Unfortunately, about 2 years ago, a lady in a BMW decided she had to get out of the carpool lane on the freeway, and came across 5 lanes of traffic in the rain, sliding the entire way. she clipped us, spun us around and into the cement barrier on the freeway, totaling the car. We walked away with nothing more than a few scratches and bruises where the seatbelts held us in, and it was what convinced me to buy another one when my Mustang GT was about to bite the dust after 13 years of ownership.

I`ve been thinking seriously about some neoprene seat covers for it, but at $600 for custom fit seat covers for the front and back, I dunno if I want to go down that road. I`ve seen other sets that are cheaper, but they`re nowhere near as nice. I`ll figure something out, maybe try some of the products suggested above.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sprzout1977 View Post
    I actually REALLY like the Mini Countryman. We`d bought one before in 2013, for my wife; it was a great carr..[that].. convinced me to buy another one when my Mustang GT was about to bite the dust after 13 years of ownership.
    Gee, that`s what *EVERY* Mini owner I`ve ever asked has said! Sounds like they really satisfy people. Thanks for the feedback.

I`ve been thinking seriously about some neoprene seat covers for it, but at $600 for custom fit seat covers for the front and back, I dunno if I want to go down that road. I`ve seen other sets that are cheaper, but they`re nowhere near as nice. I`ll figure something out, maybe try some of the products suggested above.
    I got those for a previous vehicle. I assumed I`d hate them (?neoprene? sit on rubber? gonna be hot and nasty..) but *no* they were great. They simply *solved the problem* of protecting the seats and would`ve been good as an alternative to sitting on vinyl too...at least IMO.

I got the ones from Wet Okole (!?sp?!) and while they were pricey, I can`t remember what they actually cost now...just that they were worth it. I`m still using those in my Tahoe (they fit kinda well enough) to cover up a seat the dogs like to use. Easy for me to spend your money for you though..

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator,
    You said if the car was in AZ you would do something “preventative” to the leatherette. May I ask what you would recommend? I am in AZ and am always trying new things. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I’ll second the notion of just using an interior detailer - light cleaning and conditioning, and you can use it all over your interior. You also get peace of mind that most (I believe) have claims of added UV protection. At least the Griot’s interior detailer I use does. I also like that you can use it on steering wheels and not end up with it being sticky/slippery. The surface ends up looking fresh and clean, but not shiny and overdressed.

I always feel the need to chime in when people talk about seat covers - Please keep in mind that many cars the days have side airbags in the seat (your Mini included). I’d hate to have anything in the way of the trajectory of a side airbag trying to come out and do it’s job.

Maybe the full custom seat covers take this into account and have breakaway stitching or similar design feature to allow for this, but I swear none of the cheaper ones I’ve seen on cars look like they take this into account.

As a technician, Mini is one of the 3 brands we service. I beg of you to maintain it better than Mini spells out - in my opinion/experience they push the oil change intervals out way too far. We’ve also had people tell us that the dealer literally told them when they bought the car they don’t even need to open the hood between services (!). Some of the Minis have issues with oil consumption, so that’s a bold statement when the cars can use a quart of oil every thousand miles, they hold less than 5 quarts, but the service interval is over 10,000... (With no low-oil level indicator). FWIW, we recommend every 5k for oil changes (Cheap insurance).

Not to knock on the cars! The people that have them love them, but sadly I see them later in life when issues have stacked up because the cars never get looked at. If you ever have any Q’s, feel free to PM me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    I’ll second the notion of just using an interior detailer - light cleaning and conditioning, and you can use it all over your interior. You also get peace of mind that most (I believe) have claims of added UV protection. At least the Griot’s interior detailer I use does. I also like that you can use it on steering wheels and not end up with it being sticky/slippery. The surface ends up looking fresh and clean, but not shiny and overdressed.

I always feel the need to chime in when people talk about seat covers - Please keep in mind that many cars the days have side airbags in the seat (your Mini included). I’d hate to have anything in the way of the trajectory of a side airbag trying to come out and do it’s job.

Maybe the full custom seat covers take this into account and have breakaway stitching or similar design feature to allow for this, but I swear none of the cheaper ones I’ve seen on cars look like they take this into account.

As a technician, Mini is one of the 3 brands we service. I beg of you to maintain it better than Mini spells out - in my opinion/experience they push the oil change intervals out way too far. We’ve also had people tell us that the dealer literally told them when they bought the car they don’t even need to open the hood between services (!). Some of the Minis have issues with oil consumption, so that’s a bold statement when the cars can use a quart of oil every thousand miles, they hold less than 5 quarts, but the service interval is over 10,000... (With no low-oil level indicator). FWIW, we recommend every 5k for oil changes (Cheap insurance).

Not to knock on the cars! The people that have them love them, but sadly I see them later in life when issues have stacked up because the cars never get looked at. If you ever have any Q’s, feel free to PM me.
    I`m kind of a stickler with checking the oil myself, and running synthetic on everything we own. My wife doesn`t see the value ("It`s almost twice as much!") but I`ve had MUCH better luck and longevity with synthetic in the car. I tend to watch the color and the level of the oil to judge when I need to change it, rather than going by the service levels, so not a problem at all with me as to 5k oil change intervals. I`m just not going to take it to the stealership to have it done, since I didn`t get a maintenance plan with the car (would`ve pushed the payments up by almost $150/mo, and I HAD to take their gap insurance if I wanted the extended maintenance plan - they weren`t willing to budge on that, and I`m being a little cheaper than they wanted.

As for the interior detailer, I`ll look at the Griot`s too - the fact that you said it doesn`t make the steering wheel sticky/slippery is a BIG thing for me. I had an `84 Ford F-150 I used to drive when I was 16, and my dad put a steering wheel cover on it because the steering wheel got that sticky, nasty feel on it when he put some sort of cleaner on it (It might have been ArmorAll or TurtleWax or some other concoction that was big in the late 80`s/early 90`s) and the stickiness never went away.

The local AutoZone carries almost a full line of Griot`s cleaners and detailers, so I`ll have to look and see if they have it so I don`t have to order direct and deal with shipping. I`m leery of shipping lately because we`ve had a rash of porch pirates in the area, and I`m no longer working from home to collect it when it shows up.

As for seat covers, I understand fully about the side airbags in the seat - when we got into the accident in our 2013 Mini Countryman, we had them deploy in our car, and I truly think that it helped save us from worse injuries than we could`ve had. The Wet Okole seat covers I was looking at specifically have breakaway stitching to allow the side airbags to deploy, but I`m still having a hard time with just a little over $300 for front seat covers...Maybe I`ll ask for them for Christmas and tell everyone to chip in.

Glad to hear you like the brand I was seriously considering, though! It settles my mind a bit more on them - I`ve not known anyone personally to have them, so I wasn`t sure of the quality.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing i like with the conditioners (or coatings) is it probably will have stronger UV protection.

I own a convertible and UV protection is important to me. Another is dust repellency. I have or have had P&S express, Griots, Adams and Meguiars interior QD’s. None come close to keeping dash dust resistant as PBL L&V coating.... not by a long shot. I like all the ones mentioned above but probably like Adams best as it has Microban in it which is antimicrobial.

I’d recommend coating and then weekly or bi weekly cleanings with a Any of the QD’s mentioned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Ferrari Man View Post
    Accumulator,
    You said if the car was in AZ you would do something “preventative” to the leatherette. May I ask what you would recommend? I am in AZ and am always trying new things. Thanks
    Don`t thank me yet...because my best response is "I don`t know!"

As your location line says, you`re dealing with *really* hot weather, and I bet plenty of UV gets through the (normally UV-blocking) autoglass too. I`d have some kind of seat covers and of course I`d keep covering the steering wheel/etc. when parking it outside (that "etc." would include the top of the dash), but as for the right product I`m clueless.

Gee, I don`t much like the stuff, but maybe 303?

If you`re lucky, somebody else from your part of the country will chime in with a *real* answer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    One thing i like with the conditioners (or coatings) is it probably will have stronger UV protection...I’d recommend coating and then weekly or bi weekly cleanings with a Any of the QD’s mentioned
    I still get hung up on the "how to prep for a redo" when it comes to Interior Coatings...and I`d worry that if I botched up the application it`d be a bear to sort out.

Are those valid concerns in your opinion?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information