Post Thanks / Like

1 step correction in the sun

what pad/compound combos are you guys using for 1 step corrections in the sun? what wax are you applying afterwards? i have a car to do Saturday, and they have no garage or shade and they dont want to bring it to my garage for a full 2 step and ceramic

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1 step correction in the sun

Quote Originally Posted by Nosnibor View Post
    what pad/compound combos are you guys using for 1 step corrections in the sun? what wax are you applying afterwards? i have a car to do Saturday, and they have no garage or shade and they dont want to bring it to my garage for a full 2 step and ceramic
    If it were me I would lose those people..

What if it`s really hot, windy and dusty that day?

Do you have a 10 x 20 or bigger pop up tent ?

Are you set up completely for mobile ?

The only product I can remember that is supposed to work outside, is the Poor Boy`s Line that says they work just as good in sun or shade..

Dan F
    Likes ht330ci liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    If it were me I would lose those people..

What if it`s really hot, windy and dusty that day?

Do you have a 10 x 20 or bigger pop up tent ?

Are you set up completely for mobile ?

The only product I can remember that is supposed to work outside, is the Poor Boy`s Line that says they work just as good in sun or shade..

Dan F
    im using their water, just toting my stuff with me. i`ll be set-up in about a week. but i was definitely keeping an eye out on the weather conditions for the day. wind, rain, temp etc..
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Shine Supply Burnout. Blue HDO pad. Also The Last Cut in some cases finishes out nicely
    Likes Nosnibor liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Best suggestion if it positively HAS to be done outside at the vehicle owner`s place: START EARLY IN THE MORNING!!!
    The less sun and heat you have to contend with, the better. Not knowing your physical geographic location (rural or urban) or the the size, type, and color of the vehicle you are working on all contribute to the results you may (or may not) achieve in this mobile detailing endeavor.
    Environmental variables you will be dealing with:
    1) Sun or clouds and ambient temperature that day (More of the effect it has on you personally!)
    2) Humidity
    3) Tree leaf/seed, sap, or pollen and lawn debris from lawn cutting in the air
    4) Dust in the air from lawn cutting or windy, dry day which will swirl your wax application like NOTHING else
    5) Insects to contend with (Northwood`s or swamp mosquitoes will eat you alive)
    Vehicle properties:
    1) Size of the vehicle (bigger takes longer, obviously or low vehicles like, sports cars, you are on your knees or bent over)
    2) Contours and trim (IE, are you taping off plastic trim and rubber seals during the polishing with the one-step product??)
    3) Color of the vehicle (Black may become VERY warm)
    Owner`s property:
    1) Inclined paved driveway (Makes it hard or difficult to use a ladder platform on tall vehicles)
    2) Dirt driveway or lawn to do the work on
    3) Hard water issues (washing with this in warm weather or sun will be a nightmare! Consider buying 10 gallons of distilled water to use.)
    4) "Convenient" water faucet/spigot or electrical outlets (IE, your garden hose or electrical cords may not be long enough to reach them!)
    5) Nosy neighbors or kids interrupting your work
    6) Having the owner look over your shoulder as you work
    7) Stains in the owner`s concrete or paved driveway from cleaning the vehicle or from products you use (or spill!)
    OR killing the lawn where you are working on the vehicle.
    8) Where to dispose of waste water from vehicle washing or cleaning your equipment. (Don`t dump it on the lawn or flowerbed!)

These are all things you need to consider in doing this detailing job. (Are you SURE you still want to do this job?.. just saying..)
    Last edited by Lonnie; 06-09-2020 at 12:33 PM. Reason: misspelled "spigot" (spicket)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Best suggestion if it positively HAS to be done outside at the vehicle owner`s place: START EARLY IN THE MORNING!!!
    The less sun and heat you have to contend with, the better. Not knowing your physical geographic location (rural or urban) or the the size, type, and color of the vehicle you are working on all contribute to the results you may (or may not) achieve in this mobile detailing endeavor.
    Environmental variables you will be dealing with:
    1) Sun or clouds and ambient temperature that day (More of the effect it has on you personally!)
    2) Humidity
    3) Tree leaf/seed, sap, or pollen and lawn debris from lawn cutting in the air
    4) Dust in the air from lawn cutting or windy, dry day which will swirl your wax application like NOTHING else
    5) Insects to contend with (Northwood`s or swamp mosquitoes will eat you alive)
    Vehicle properties:
    1) Size of the vehicle (bigger takes longer, obviously or low vehicles like, sports cars, you are on your knees or bent over)
    2) Contours and trim (IE, are you taping off plastic trim and rubber seals during the polishing with the one-step product??)
    3) Color of the vehicle (Black may become VERY warm)
    Owner`s property:
    1) Inclined paved driveway (Makes it hard or difficult to use a ladder platform on tall vehicles)
    2) Dirt driveway or lawn to do the work on
    3) Hard water issues (washing with this in warm weather or sun will be a nightmare! Consider buying 10 gallons of distilled water to use.)
    4) "Convenient" water faucet/spigot or electrical outlets (IE, your garden hose or electrical cords may not be long enough to reach them!)
    5) Nosy neighbors or kids interrupting your work
    6) Having the owner look over your shoulder as you work
    7) Stains in the owner`s concrete or paved driveway from cleaning the vehicle or from products you use (or spill!)
    OR killing the lawn where you are working on the vehicle.
    8) Where to dispose of waste water from vehicle washing or cleaning your equipment. (Don`t dump it on the lawn or flowerbed!)

These are all things you need to consider in doing this detailing job. (Are you SURE you still want to do this job?.. just saying..)
    Thank you for that. There`s a lot of those variables I`ve considered, and some I didn`t. It`s a big black 2500 HD. I dont wanna take the job, but, being new in the business, I feel I need to so I can get my name out. Hes a well known, well respected chiropractor in the area, so hopefully he can help promote me to all of his friends and clientele . Thats what I`m hoping for anyway

Post Thanks / Like

I haven`t tried them but the Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions line might work for you. The products were introduced and demonstrated at an event held outside in the Arizona sun, and have been reviewed by two fellow Autopians:

https://www.autopia.org/forums/car-d...ax-review.html

TW Hybrid Solutions LOVES the heat!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nosnibor View Post
    . It`s a big black 2500 HD. I dont wanna take the job, but, being new in the business, I feel I need to so I can get my name out. Hes a well known, well respected chiropractor in the area, so hopefully he can help promote me to all of his friends and clientele . Thats what I`m hoping for anyway
    At the risk of sounding like the ultimate wet blanket I`d give some thought to how Mr. Well Known might respond if things don`t go well. I`m *NOT* disparaging your abilities or making any unflattering assumptions! It just sounds like an incredible challenge, and it`s one that *I* would not be up to. There`s zero way *I* would be able to pull that off to my (and/or maybe the client`s) satisfaction under those conditions, and I`m not lacking in confidence

Post Thanks / Like

I work mobile and some notables that seem to work OK for me are, 3D HD Speed (AIO), Blackfire One Step (AIO) and Jescar compound and polish. These have all worked well even on black cars in direct sun on 90+ degree days

That being said, when I`m working outside, I am NOT chasing perfection, only improvement, and sell my service as such. I call the service a "gloss enhancement" rather than correction, with 50-75% correction and typically get those results pretty consistently.

In terms of the machine, I use my Rupes 21 pretty much all the time for this level of work (I have other machines for more intricate stuff on the more correction focused jobs) and a light cutting pad. In my case I`m currently using Buff n Shine Uro-Tec Maroon pads 90% of the time. I will vary this occasionally to a uro tec yellow pad or a carpro gloss pad (got them for a steal) when working with softer paints.

I have also (while not common) turned down any polishing work due to a poor environment (pollen, dust etc.)

Depending on what your customer wants and expects, if you cant match your service to it, I would turn the job down in everyone`s best interest. If your customer starts to talk like they know more than you and talk down to you, walk away. Not worth your time.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
    I work mobile and some notables that seem to work OK for me are, 3D HD Speed (AIO), Blackfire One Step (AIO) and Jescar compound and polish. These have all worked well even on black cars in direct sun on 90+ degree days

That being said, when I`m working outside, I am NOT chasing perfection, only improvement, and sell my service as such. I call the service a "gloss enhancement" rather than correction, with 50-75% correction and typically get those results pretty consistently.

In terms of the machine, I use my Rupes 21 pretty much all the time for this level of work (I have other machines for more intricate stuff on the more correction focused jobs) and a light cutting pad. In my case I`m currently using Buff n Shine Uro-Tec Maroon pads 90% of the time. I will vary this occasionally to a uro tec yellow pad or a carpro gloss pad (got them for a steal) when working with softer paints.

I have also (while not common) turned down any polishing work due to a poor environment (pollen, dust etc.)

Depending on what your customer wants and expects, if you cant match your service to it, I would turn the job down in everyone`s best interest. If your customer starts to talk like they know more than you and talk down to you, walk away. Not worth your time.

Good luck!
    Absolutely what I`m looking to do. "improvement" not correction. guess i could`ve worded the title to show that. Hope you don`t mind if i steal that term, "gloss enhancement". i like it. thanks for the tips. much appreciated
    Likes ShaneB liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    At the risk of sounding like the ultimate wet blanket I`d give some thought to how Mr. Well Known might respond if things don`t go well. I`m *NOT* disparaging your abilities or making any unflattering assumptions! It just sounds like an incredible challenge, and it`s one that *I* would not be up to. There`s zero way *I* would be able to pull that off to my (and/or maybe the client`s) satisfaction under those conditions, and I`m not lacking in confidence
    Thank you for the insight. i have no problem walking away if the environment and clients lack of confidence or "advanced knowledge" of the process is in doubt or being questioned.

Post Thanks / Like

Nosnibor- Glad I didn`t come across badly/insulting. Sounds like you`re approaching this sensibly, hope it all turns out OK whatever you do (also hoping you`ll post back if you get a chance and let us know).

Post Thanks / Like

Poorboy`s line. I`ve tested their Black wax (wish I could find the pic with the temp gun on the hot, black surface!) on a hot day, black hood. Surface temp was 120s or 130s. Crazy. Waxed a bit at a time, let it haze (faster than usual under those conditions), easy wipe off.

I`ve also used Blackfire`s One Step in direct sun, a couple of times. For a short time, it`s fine. Let it go too long, not so much. I`d have to do more testing, but I wouldn`t go more than 15 or so minutes with it.

Poorboy`s stuff, I`ve used with the most success in hot temps, direct sun.

One thing I used to do before getting a pop-up shade, is I would turn the car, angled if possible, so one side can be in the sun, the other side is "shaded" then turn the car around so the other side is shaded]

Lonnie has some great tips. Best one: start as early as possible. I sometimes leave my house before the sun starts coming up.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve used Rupes Uno Protect with a yellow foam pad in direct sun and it’s fine. Wipes off easily and leaves behind a slick surface.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ll 2nd HD speed.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Thread Information