Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glass Cleaner?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Glass Cleaner?

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Looks like I`ll just be using up my 3D 50:1 for the foreseeable future. It`s OK but I do wish it died off cleaner. I`m saving the GG for the Crown Vic since it doesn`t mess with the RainX much and saving the Zep40 for jobs where it`s the only thing that`ll work right.

Some of those "special" towels (e.g., Zep/Zap/etc.) do sound intriguing, but I`m not ready to try `em just yet.

I launder my (current) Glass Towels from Griot`s separately purely out of concern over linting after learning my lesson the hard way And I still always follow up with the GG Polypropylene Window Wipes, which I gather are *not* popular with anybody else here.

Coleroad- I`m utterly astounded (and pleased) to hear that straight IPA works for you! I`ve tried a few roll-your-own Glass Cleaners and none of `em worked worth a [darn] compared to my "real" ones, which I attribute to the surfactants in the latter although I don`t really know.
    Zep works good if you don’t let your windows get too soiled. I use them as a finishing wipe and think if you follow any glass cleaning routine with these you’ll end up streak free. If you’d like to try one i’d be happy to send you one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Coleroad, Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I’m kind of a glass cleaner nerd. Some people are into waxes or coatings I’m into glass cleaners and coating toppers. My all time favorite is Nexzett Glass Cleaner. It’s strong and can be diluted and at $7.99 a bottle it’s relatively inexpensive. I also like Sonax Glass Cleaner. It is a bit milder and not concentrated but it will cut through bug guts and dirt very well. Stoners foaming glass cleaner is great for inside use since it “sticks” and doesn’t run and drip. All three will get the job done and I have not had streaking problems with any of the three.

The towel you use is important too. I prefer a waffle weave microfiber towel since it grabs more stuff and holds more cleaner. Some folks spray the cloth and others spray the glass. I normally spray the glass on exteriors and spray the cloth on interiors. I spray the cloth on interiors to cut down on overspray. Some people wash their glass towels separately from their other detailing towels to cut down on cross contamination, I don’t, but I if you have enough towels it probably a good idea as streaking can come from other products on your glass towel. I’m a nerd.
    I know the towels are important, for sure. I have a tool that I use for the inside windows (at least, i used to on the Mustang I owned; the windshield was big and the angle wouldn`t let me get to the bottom center or the corners) and it`s got some microfiber cloths that cover it. It`s not perfect, but it did the job for the windshield where I couldn`t reach. Again, different tools for different cars and situations, right?
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been happy with Uber (3oz to 1 Gal dilution) as a glass cleaner. Can`t say I`ve ever tackled anything too filthy with it so not sure how it would fair in a pro environment cleaning neglected cars. Not sure the cleaner is all that important seems like the trick is all about multiple towels. The last buffing towel needs to be nearly bone dry. I`ve tried a couple different TRC glass towels and the Griot`s glass PFM all meh, not sure they are any better than a low pile towel. Though I do like the small form factor of the Griot`s.

I did pickup some Clarify on a recent order, definitely gets the best smelling glass cleaner award. Never did like the Cherry Sucrets smell of Uber.

Post Thanks / Like

Coatings=crack- Ah, that cloth does indeed sound good.

Thanks for the offer of one, but I`m declining all offers of products to try as I`m drowning in stuff I already have I *still* haven`t tried the Glass Cleaner Bill D sent me over three years ago!
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It was longer than that. In fact I think it was double that.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used ONR mixed with distilled water it works very well for me.
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dynoguy View Post
    I have used ONR mixed with distilled water it works very well for me.
    It’s funny how everyone has different experiences with stuff. I tried ONR, but had a strange experience where while the glass was still wet, you could see what I can only describe as “un-cleanable spots” when the (Interior) glass was still wet -- you could scrub all you wanted, and the spots wouldn’t go away. I was afraid these areas would show up as fog/cloudiness in cold weather months.
    Switched to a standard glass cleaner, and it cut through those spots. Haven’t gone back to ONR for glass since.

Sacrilege since it’s not what they say to do, but does anyone use the Zap cloths with actual glass cleaner? Seems like it could be the best of all worlds?

Post Thanks / Like

Lately I have been using SprayAway and TRC Korean Waffle Weave Towels - seems to work out well.

TRC does also have a "Smitten" Glass mitt with Waffle Weave on one side / Twist Loop on the other
    Link to Retail Site Removed

I am interested in any feedback on Carpro`s Calfify - as to if it`s worth the added cost - Spray Away can be had rather inexpensively....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grovlet View Post
    Lately I have been using SprayAway and TRC Korean Waffle Weave Towels - seems to work out well.

TRC does also have a "Smitten" Glass mitt with Waffle Weave on one side / Twist Loop on the other
    Link to Retail Site Removed

I am interested in any feedback on Carpro`s Calfify - as to if it`s worth the added cost - Spray Away can be had rather inexpensively....
    I used Sprayaway for the first time last night when a bird decided to bomb the window of our car. Cleaned up the bird bomb very nicely! Is sprayaway detrimental to glass sealants or coatings?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Gtechniq G6 and a CarPro Glassfiber towel have been my go to for the past year. I`d like to go Clarify a try when I run out of G6, but I still have half a bottle left.

Post Thanks / Like

After years I`ve finally gotten my glass-cleaning process dialed in. Another big thumbs up for Nextzett Windscreen Clear. I`ve used a bunch of glass cleaners including Sprayway, Stoners, Perfect Glass, etc., and they made me think there was no such thing as a truly superior class cleaner until I tried Nextzett. I dilute it 1:1 with filtered water and it gives me the best results I`ve been able to achieve... for once I`m not chasing smears on my windshield the first time I drive in the sun after I clean the glass.

As far as method, the key is not using too much product--If the glass is filthy I wash it first with ONR, then use a little glass cleaner to finish off. Use two cloths, one to apply the cleaner and lift anything off the glass, the second dry one to remove any trace of remaining cleaner. As far as glass cleaning cloths, when my white undershirts wear out I cut the top halfs off (under the arms) and the bottom halves become my glass cleaning cloths. Those work better for me than any of the several kinds of glass cleaning cloths I`ve gotten from detailing suppliers.

I usually use Zap Cloths for the interior glass because I never let it get too smeared or greasy, and I don`t have dogs or kids The trick with those is to soak them, wring them out as much as possible, then let them dry even a little more before using them.
    Likes Lonnie, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SF Space Grey View Post
    As far as method, the key is not using too much product--If the glass is filthy I wash it first with ONR, then use a little glass cleaner to finish off. Use two cloths, one to apply the cleaner and lift anything off the glass, the second dry one to remove any trace of remaining cleaner. As far as glass cleaning cloths, when my white undershirts wear out I cut the top halfs off (under the arms) and the bottom halves become my glass cleaning cloths. Those work better for me than any of the several kinds of glass cleaning cloths I`ve gotten from detailing suppliers.
    That’s a good point in my opinion. I have been struggling lately with cleaning the interior of the windows on our cars. It took me back to when i was young and I knew nothing about “safe” detailing so to speak. Back then I would load a bucket up with Mr. Clean cleaner and water and an old bath towel cut into rag sized pieces. I had a ‘99 Ranger with the vinyl flooring and every surface was cleaned with that bucket solution. Glass and all (of course I then cleaned the glass with Windex and a paper towel)
    But my point in this is the Mr. Clean solution must have worked to strip all the oils and filth from the inside of the windows and then the Windex and paper towel removed the streaks. This makes me wonder if something like an Eco APC I have now would act the same and then go over it with some dedicated cleaner and MF to get that streak free look I can’t seem to get now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, you guys who can clean glass satisfactorily with RW just kill me, my efforts always resulted in a total FAIL (and yeah, mixed with distilled water).

Bill D- See how time flies for us older guys? How many times have I asked you what the proper dilution is?!? (yeah, need to ask again but this time I`ll write it down)

gorram- The primary reason why I love the GG PFM for Glass is that the plush side doesn`t leave MF lint, and it`s the *only* plush MF I have that doesn`t. Even my WWMFs for Glass leave it, although sometimes not for the first few uses..but once they wear a bit, it`s awful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Heh heh, you guys who can clean glass satisfactorily with RW just kill me, my efforts always resulted in a total FAIL (and yeah, mixed with distilled water).

Bill D- See how time flies for us older guys? How many times have I asked you what the proper dilution is?!? (yeah, need to ask again but this time I`ll write it down)
    I’m pretty sure the sample I gave you is RTU. I just abstracted it from my existing mixed up bottle and gave it to you.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I’m pretty sure the sample I gave you is RTU. I just abstracted it from my existing mixed up bottle and gave it to you.
    Ah, the modest size probably made me think "concentrate"..wonder how I can tell other than trying it and seeing if it, uhm...gee, what would it do wrong? Streak or something and strip anything it comes in contact with I guess (better be a little careful).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information