Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning interiors during covid 19 pandemic

What are you using to wipe down interiors? I’ve heard using 70% or stronger ISP will work but what surfaces could it damage?

Ammonia and bleach a no-no. Lysol wipes? Hydrogen peroxide?

I’ve read in some reports Micro ban (or at least a couple of their products) are good to go and made the EPA’s list. Adam’s interior QD has Microban is that good?

Just like to know what all your using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning interiors during covid 19 pandemic

There is a new P&S product with a wet swell time of 10 minutes that is 25 per gallon. Making it the most economical option. Detailed image has it on their website

Post Thanks / Like

Dwell

Post Thanks / Like

I think dwell time is the biggest issue. I`ve got some Lysol disinfecting wipes and they call for remaining wet for 4 minutes to kill. Wiping down a phone or my pocket knife inside the house and it seemed like it was already dry in about a minute. So trying to do that in a warm let alone a hot car seems like a waste of multiple wipes. Maybe a soapy solution is the trick, probably make a mess but would probably be safer.

Here is some interesting info:

Post Thanks / Like

Gtechiq Tri-Clean, but yeah same problem with dwell time.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, I just had a thought. Sure the spray on and dwell products are great, but non-carpeted surfaces, why not just use hand soap? If hand soap is safe enough for our hands and advised by medicine, why not try it? Use terry cloth towels, for clean up, that can be laundered with bleach on leathers and plastics, and save the spray on sanitizers for plastics...? Just a thought because we need to start using products strategically, I haven`t seen Lysol wipes or spray stocked in stores for about three weeks......

Post Thanks / Like

I picked up a gallon of concentrated sanitizer from a local restaurant that is closed during the stay at home order. Pretty good stuff, 1oz per quart of water. It will last a long time.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what`s *really* required to kill this Virus...I heard one Med. guy say it`s relatively fragile and easy to kill, but I`d hate to be wrong about that!

It does seem that some mechanical aspect of the cleaning is a good idea..those "touchless" approaches with Bleach/Hydrogen Peroxide sure require a long dwell time whereas you can safely wash it off your hands in that now-famous 20 seconds.

IF "any ol` hand soap" is fine, I`d expect most any Interior Cleaner to be OK too, but [REPEAT "hate to be wrong.."].

I do hope that everybody is learning to keep things like Sanitizing Wipes/etc. on-hand all the time. Once somebody`s sick you`re already behind the curve, even with just the Common Cold.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    What are you using to wipe down interiors? I’ve heard using 70% or stronger ISP will work but what surfaces could it damage?
    If by "ISP" you mean Rubbing/Isopropyl Alcohol, you definitely want to keep that off leather..guess how a certain Autopian learned that the hard way when he was a kid
    Likes Coatings=crack, Scrapyard liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how many cases we’re going to see of owners damaging their interiors from using the wrong products to disinfect.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes Coatings=crack, Oneheadlite, llebcire liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I wonder how many cases we’re going to see of owners damaging their interiors from using the wrong products to disinfect.
    Point well taken. Iso-Propyl Alcohol (IPA) is probably THE most common "disinfectant" being used to "sanitize" vehicle surfaces, BUT I wonder how safe it is for plastics, vinyl , and coated leathers IF used repeatedly. I am using a hospital-grade spray from Claire (a sub-division of Spray-Way) called Disinfectant Spray Q for sanitizing exterior door handles on my vehicles, but that is it.

I do have Spray Nine Multi-Purpose Cleaner & Disinfectant from Permatex/Illinois Tool Works, Inc., but I do not think it has made the CDC`s list of "approved" cleaners/disinfectants for CoVID-19. It was (past tense emphasized) a forum favorite for cleaning mildew-moldy vehicle interiors. I would be more inclined to use this full strength Ready-To-Use (RTU) on "sanitizing" interiors than Clorox or Lysol wipes or alcohol on a vehicles`s interior, even if it is not"approved". It has more notoriety and following in the boating industry. Mine comes from Midwest farm supply store Mills Fleet-Farm, but I did think I saw it at Meijer`s.

Yes, I know the Microban stuff is being advertised on TV for it effectiveness on CoVID-19, but I wonder how "difficult" it is to procure any products with this disinfectant in it due to the high demand for homeowner/residential use, like the Adam`s product.

I also see that Adam`s are making a alcohol-based hand sanitizer. But then, so are a few of our Wisconsin-based vodka/gin distillers. The nice thing about them? They are expensive even without paying the drinking alcohol state excise taxes, BUT they are supposedly "safe" to ingest, although there is a warning it is not intended to used as such.

I am also waiting for some "uninformed" homeowner mixing ammonia and bleach together for use as a disinfecting cleaner. That is one of the most common household product mixing mistakes made in the United States that sends many to the hospital Emergency Room with lung injuries from the toxic gases produced from the chemical reaction between these two household cleaning products. I do think that there is a bold-print warning NOT to do this on each product`s label, but who reads the labels? (Or as ever-present Autopian Accumulator says, RTFL, meaning "read the freaking (cannot use the bad word, forum software will no allow it!) label."
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post

I`d imagine quite a few. On delicate interior surfaces, I have had interior specific cleaners stain some sensitive materials. I don`t want to imagine what will happen when people take bleach at disinfecting strength and leave it to dry on their door panels or steering wheel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post

I do have Spray Nine Multi-Purpose Cleaner & Disinfectant from Permatex/Illinois Tool Works, Inc., but I do not think it has made the CDC`s list of "approved" cleaners/disinfectants for CoVID-19. It was (past tense emphasized) a forum favorite for cleaning mildew-moldy vehicle interiors. I would be more inclined to use this full strength Ready-To-Use (RTU) on "sanitizing" interiors than Clorox or Lysol wipes or alcohol on a vehicles`s interior, even if it is not"approved". It has more notoriety and following in the boating industry. Mine comes from Midwest farm supply store Mills Fleet-Farm, but I did think I saw it at Meijer`s.

Spray Nine is not a product that I would left sit to disinfect a surface, unless I wanted streak marks all over the surface.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont know if ammonia will disinfect but ammonia and water can be used on fabric seats and carpets , but not leather. The bonis about ammonia is that when the smell goes away it pulls all the other oders out of the fabric , and it doesent leave any chemicals to attrach more dirt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Baldone View Post
    There is a new P&S product with a wet swell time of 10 minutes that is 25 per gallon. Making it the most economical option. Detailed image has it on their website
    It has ammonia which i read can not be used i. Some interior (leather, vinyl) that takes out highly touched areas like steering wheel and shift knobs.

Not sure those anyone use ammonia inside?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information