Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning interiors during covid 19 pandemic

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    First, try an interior quick detailer type product. But I suspect the surface is damaged and most likely can`t be fixed. There are a couple options. One would be to try to cover the damage with a vinyl spray paint. The other is called flocking. It`s a messy but cool looking glued fiber. You can find videos on youtube. It`s messy and removing the dash or taping a plastic drop cloth down tight might be the best options.
    Appreciate your help!

Flocking is cool but more than I’m interested in due to the labor.

Would rubbing alcohol hurt anything at this point? Of course I wouldn’t do it in direct sunlight and would follow up with dressing.

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning interiors during covid 19 pandemic

Why would you flock that area...that would be a total mismatch to the rest of the the trim pkg

Post Thanks / Like

llebcire (Eric):
    I think wannafbody is correct: the damage that you`ve posted a picture of is from "improper" cleaning, most likely a) chlorine-bleach-based product (think Clorox wipes) I really have no proof.

I have seen "similar" problems in Ford and GM plastics and vinyls, BUT I always thought it was a flaw in the production of the plastic or vinyl, IE, the plastic resin was not well-mixed during the injection molding process and was missed in Quality Control, both by the part manufacturer and the assembly line inspectors, AND the dealership customer delivery prep personnel. When I use a vinyl/plastic protectant on some of these pieces, it seems blotchy or even streaked, like the plastic does not "absorb" the protectant when wiped off. You can clean the area again with a diluted APC (All-Purpose Cleaner, like Meg`s Detailer Line D101 at 3:1 or Optimum Power Clean at 3:1), reapply the protectant and wipe it off, and it will STILL be blotchy or streaky as before. Trying to reapply the protectant by itself again and wipe it off yields no better results.
    THAT should never happen in a Honda. Their Quality Control at all levels is second-to-none, which leads me to the conclusion of improper cleaner damage.
    One of the "problems" with vinyl protectants is that some are glossy and some are more matte, natural, or low-gloss in appearance. I dislike the high-gloss look as the reflection off the dash can impede a driver`s vision in certain sunlight angles during the day and be a safety hazard. Some like it though, because it imparts a freshly detailed appearance. it also "covers" those blotchy or streaky plastic imperfections until the protectant burns/gasses off in the hot temps of a summer sun inside the green-house windowed vehicle interior.

I would NOT recommend rubbing alcohol (70% iso-propyl alcohol, or IPA as it is abbreviated here in this forum) as a cleaning agent on vinyl. Hard plastic, maybe, but not soft INTERIOR vinyl. (I say interior as IPA is used as a cleaner on EXTERIOR vinyl, like door guard side molding). There is also a great debate about using citrus-based Limonene cleaners and whether they dry out or "dissolves" the organic (carbon-based) solvents in plastics and vinyls. I think diluted and wiped off in a timely fashion, they are safe, but used full-strength and left to dwell for a length of time, then yes, they cause problems.

I still prefer AeroSpace 303 protectant, but that is me, because it is more "matte"/natural in sheen/gloss. Meguiar`s makes some consumer-level protectants in both a low-gloss and high-gloss sheen. You may have to "experiment" with different protectants to see which one gives you the best look at covering/hiding your damage and how frequently you will need to apply it to maintain that look.
    GB detailer
    Likes llebcire liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Eric -

Just one mans opinion but I don`t see dealers doing full on sanitizing....hell, I got a tire patched back in summer, and the tire joint guys were all maskless and one even had a cough/sneeze that made me super uncomfortable. I can see how -dealerships- may make their staff wear masks but as far as sanitizing, I can see how techs are supposed to wipe steering wheels, knobs, door per protocol but I don`t see them doing much beyond that. Could be million reasons on your issue but I don`t see it tied to the the sanitizing . Maybe the PO was a Uber Driver/Lyft Driver and he had his placard sitting in there. Or the funky Lyft Ones with the LED light logo and heat. Lotsa variables but I think what you see is from the PO - previous owner and not dealer sanitization caused...
    Likes llebcire liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    llebcire (Eric):
    I think wannafbody is correct: the damage that you`ve posted a picture of is from "improper" cleaning, most likely a) chlorine-bleach-based product (think Clorox wipes) I really have no proof.

I have seen "similar" problems in Ford and GM plastics and vinyls, BUT I always thought it was a flaw in the production of the plastic or vinyl, IE, the plastic resin was not well-mixed during the injection molding process and was missed in Quality Control, both by the part manufacturer and the assembly line inspectors, AND the dealership customer delivery prep personnel. When I use a vinyl/plastic protectant on some of these pieces, it seems blotchy or even streaked, like the plastic does not "absorb" the protectant when wiped off. You can clean the area again with an APC, reapply the protectant and wipe it off, and it will STILL be blotchy or streaky as before. Trying to reapply the protectant by itself again and wipe it off yields no better results.
    THAT should never happen in a Honda. Their Quality Control at all levels is second-to-none, which leads me to the conclusion of improper cleaner damage.
    One of the "problems" with vinyl protectants is that some are glossy and some are more matte, natural, or low-gloss in appearance. I dislike the high-gloss look as the reflection off the dash can impede a driver`s vision in certain sunlight angles during the day and be a safety hazard. Some like it though, because it imparts a freshly detailed appearance. it also "covers" those blotchy or streaky plastic imperfections until the protectant burns/gasses off in the hot temps of a summer sun inside the green-house windowed vehicle interior.

I would NOT recommend rubbing alcohol (70% iso-propyl alcohol, or IPA as it is abbreviated here in this forum) as a cleaning agent on vinyl. Hard plastic, maybe, but not soft INTERIOR vinyl. (I say interior as IPA is used as a cleaner on EXTERIOR vinyl, like door guard side molding). There is also a great debate about using citrus-based Limonene cleaners and whether they dry out or "dissolves" the organic (carbon-based) solvents in plastics and vinyls. I think diluted and wiped off in a timely fashion, they are safe, but used full-strength and left to dwell for a length of time, then yes, they cause problems.

I still prefer AeroSpace 303 protectant, but that is me, because it is more "matte"/natural in sheen/gloss. Meguiar`s makes some consumer-level protectants in both a low-gloss and high-gloss sheen. You may have to "experiment" with different protectants to see which one gives you the best look at covering/hiding your damage and how frequently you will need to apply it to maintain that look.
    Thanks for your insight and detailed explanation! I’ll pass on the IPA and will switch to some Meguiars I have but haven’t opened as the Lexol is at the bottom of the container and possibly losing potency. I’ll apply liberal coats allowing them to dry naturally with minimal wiping to see if it helps.

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information