Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning interiors during covid 19 pandemic

Quote Originally Posted by ERP View Post
    .. most steam cleaners will require extended duration, high temps, and/or strong chemicals to disinfect - which makes using steamers as a viral disinfection device for vehicle interiors a less than ideal choice sadly...
    That`s a great point! It`s often buried in the finer print of the User Manual that i suspect many don`t read. My steam-mop for the household floors would take *forever* to actually "sanitize" them, life`s too short...and I see my "good steamer" in that light too.

Gee, I bet those TANCS are pricey!

Oh, and Welcome to Autopia! I don`t think we`ve shared any threads before now...

Post Thanks / Like

Based on what is currently out there research-wise I would say that steam likely is an effective way to destroy it BUT there are a bunch of factors at play - specifically temperature and duration of steam contact.

The Covid-19 is pretty fragile compared to something like the Norovirus, C.Diff, MRSA, etc etc.

Regular steam can be used to kill the Norovirus, 5 minutes @ 158 F / 70 C; or 1 minute @ 212 F / 100 C. This is one way how cruise ships disinfect fabrics and beds after noro outbreaks.

Most research on using steam cleaners to disinfect are using large industrial machines with high pressure and high temps (356 F / 180 C) combined with strong disinfecting chemicals (germicides/fungicides/etc) and are focused on cost-effectiveness and make comparisons for residential use difficult. So most steam cleaners will require extended duration, high temps, and/or strong chemicals to disinfect - which makes using steamers as a viral disinfection device for vehicle interiors a less than ideal choice sadly.

There is one caveat though, if you have a steam cleaner with TANCS (Thermo Accelerated Nano Crystal Sanitation technology) these require 3-5 seconds of contact to disinfect surfaces of viruses. I`m not entirely sure how it works. Somehow the steam interacts with the crystals and gets bio-film destroying properties, since Covid-19 is a pretty weak virus and TANCS can knock out hard to kill viruses in seconds - it would make sense that TANCS would be effective against Covid-19. The EPA certified TANCS as disinfecting devices during the Ebola scare, BUT systems with TANCS are pretty expensive though entry level start just under $2k.

(I recently picked up a non-TANCS steam cleaner, so I`ve been doing a bit of reading.)
    I have had great success with the use of allowing an enzyme cleaner to dwell and high pressure hot steam. As indicated, there evidence of an outer layer that needs to be compromised to help kill the virus. With the combination of the enzyme cleaner and using my Vapor Rhino steamer which is rated at 145 PSI at 210*-240* at the tip. I have taken several temps and have averaged 230* at the tip consistently.

Using a brush attachment to help contain the tip temp and the pressure, I move slowly throughout the interior of the vehicle. Keep in mind that the Vapor Rhino is only 5% humidity, so it is a dry steam (which from what I read is detrimental to the virus as well. I heard that the virus thrives well in cold, dark, wet conditions and does not like hot, dry, bright conditions. I used some food grade bacterial swabs. Using them before, I have gotten a purple reaction (contaminated) and then afterwards a green reaction (non-contaminated). I swabbed the usual areas...door handles, steering wheels, knobs, shifters, radio buttons, etc. to get a good sample of the interior. With that being said, I am fairly confident that I am decontaminating the surfaces to kill most bacteria immediately, and I think as far as Corona goes, the virus is still so new that if they are correct in saying that compromising the outer layer will help destroy the virus, then I feel my process should be effective.

Given data that 56*C (132*F) @ 15 minutes will kill the virus. Almost double the temp, and the reduction in time to around 8 minutes *should* be equally as effective in killing it....

Just some food for thought.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ryan Cywinski - Owner
    Northeast Auto Reflections
    Detail Spa and Mobile Wash, LLC
    www.northeastautoreflections.com
    Likes ERP liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Street5927 View Post
    ...I used some food grade bacterial swabs. Using them before, I have gotten a purple reaction (contaminated) and then afterwards a green reaction (non-contaminated)....

I am fairly confident that I am decontaminating the surfaces to kill most bacteria immediately, and I think as far as Corona goes, if they are correct in saying that compromising the outer layer will help destroy the virus, then I feel my process should be effective.

Given data that 56*C (132*F) @ 15 minutes will kill the virus. Almost double the temp, and the reduction in time to around 8 minutes *should* be equally as effective in killing it....

Just some food for thought.
    Ooo where did you get those swabs?!

Coronaviruses are enveloped viruses with a protective fat layer, disinfectants tear apart that fat layer, which compared to non-enveloped viruses (e.g., Norovirus) they are pretty fragile.
    Eight minutes of 230 F steam should be more than enough to destroy the virus seeing has the hardier Norovirus wouldn`t even survive that. So it is highly likely your process is killing the virus.

I do have two questions though:
    (1) Does eight minutes of 230 F steam not damage plastics?
    (2) Have you tested the effectiveness of the of each component in your disinfecting method (steam & enzyme cleaner) individually?

It`s possible that for your cleaning method the (a) enzyme cleaner by itself is performing 100% of the disinfection, or (b) steam is the primary means of disinfecting, or finally (c) effective disinfection requires the combination of both steamer and enzyme cleaner.

I suspect that the disinfectant injection system on your steamer is doing the bulk of the work in terms of bacterial and viral sanitation. At 145 psi I also imagine you are able to penetrate porous surfaces with disinfectant quite effectively without over saturating the area (the specs on the commercial rhino steamers are great). I imagine you would get similar disinfecting results with disinfectant fogger - but you wouldn`t get any of the cleaning (stain removal, carpet cleaning, etc) benefits of a steamer.

I think steam as a means to disperse disinfectant cleaners is great, but for systems that don`t have that capability steam is a poor choice.
    Just because I`m stupider than them they think they`re smarter than me!

Post Thanks / Like

Ooo where did you get those swabs?!

Coronaviruses are enveloped viruses with a protective fat layer, disinfectants tear apart that fat layer, which compared to non-enveloped viruses (e.g., Norovirus) they are pretty fragile.
    Eight minutes of 230 F steam should be more than enough to destroy the virus seeing has the hardier Norovirus wouldn`t even survive that. So it is highly likely your process is killing the virus.

I do have two questions though:
    (1) Does eight minutes of 230 F steam not damage plastics?
    (2) Have you tested the effectiveness of the of each component in your disinfecting method (steam & enzyme cleaner) individually?

It`s possible that for your cleaning method the (a) enzyme cleaner by itself is performing 100% of the disinfection, or (b) steam is the primary means of disinfecting, or finally (c) effective disinfection requires the combination of both steamer and enzyme cleaner.

I suspect that the disinfectant injection system on your steamer is doing the bulk of the work in terms of bacterial and viral sanitation. At 145 psi I also imagine you are able to penetrate porous surfaces with disinfectant quite effectively without over saturating the area (the specs on the commercial rhino steamers are great). I imagine you would get similar disinfecting results with disinfectant fogger - but you wouldn`t get any of the cleaning (stain removal, carpet cleaning, etc) benefits of a steamer.

I think steam as a means to disperse disinfectant cleaners is great, but for systems that don`t have that capability steam is a poor choice.
    Hi ERP, I have not had any damage done to any plastics at that temp. I have not individually tested the enzyme v. steam. I have only tested the combination. Yes, I love my Vapor Rhino. It is actually my go to machine for many different aspects of detailing. It does a great job in door jambs, steam injected carpet cleaning/seat cleaning when the suction is hooked to my Mytee is amazing! I get much better results than my Mytee, using much less water and leaving the seats/carpets not nearly as wet.

I have also completely washed vehicles with the Vapor Rhino. I love it so much, that I wish it has a little more power/heat for washing exteriors so I am kicking around the Fortador Cleaner next....but that is a big dollar investment.
    Ryan Cywinski - Owner
    Northeast Auto Reflections
    Detail Spa and Mobile Wash, LLC
    www.northeastautoreflections.com
    Likes ERP liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Huh, I`ve damaged (and in a huge way ) interior/other plastics, including synthetic carpet, with even very brief exposure to steam. Like..seconds as opposed to minutes. One of those !YMMV! things, so I`d sure be careful around anything irreplaceable.

Post Thanks / Like

My steamer is what they call "ATIS" certified. Which seems to be unique to daimer brand steamers. It`s a kleenjet mega 1000cvp. I use the injection feature with APC, I would think the heat plus the cleaner would destroy most things pretty quick if not instantly. It sure cleans really fast when you hit surfaces with superheated apc/steam.

I also have damaged plastics with steam, and it can happen rather quickly (most noticably on older vehicles). I`ve learned what to watch out for and haven`t had an issue in years. Treat steam like a rotary polisher. Keep it moving, don`t stop in one place. If 1-2 seconds of steam won`t get something off, back off and try something else
    shanesautodetail.com
    facebook.com/shanesautodetail
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Based on what is currently out there research-wise I would say that steam likely is an effective way to destroy it BUT there are a bunch of factors at play - specifically temperature and duration of steam contact.

The Covid-19 is pretty fragile compared to something like the Norovirus, C.Diff, MRSA, etc etc.

Regular steam can be used to kill the Norovirus, 5 minutes @ 158 F / 70 C; or 1 minute @ 212 F / 100 C. This is one way how cruise ships disinfect fabrics and beds after noro outbreaks.

Most research on using steam cleaners to disinfect are using large industrial machines with high pressure and high temps (356 F / 180 C) combined with strong disinfecting chemicals (germicides/fungicides/etc) and are focused on cost-effectiveness and make comparisons for residential use difficult. So most steam cleaners will require extended duration, high temps, and/or strong chemicals to disinfect - which makes using steamers as a viral disinfection device for vehicle interiors a less than ideal choice sadly.

There is one caveat though, if you have a steam cleaner with TANCS (Thermo Accelerated Nano Crystal Sanitation technology) these require 3-5 seconds of contact to disinfect surfaces of viruses. I`m not entirely sure how it works. Somehow the steam interacts with the crystals and gets bio-film destroying properties, since Covid-19 is a pretty weak virus and TANCS can knock out hard to kill viruses in seconds - it would make sense that TANCS would be effective against Covid-19. The EPA certified TANCS as disinfecting devices during the Ebola scare, BUT systems with TANCS are pretty expensive though entry level start just under $2k.

(I recently picked up a non-TANCS steam cleaner, so I`ve been doing a bit of reading.)
    This is spot-on about steam. I had purchased a TANCS steamer a few years ago for this exact reason (EPA certified disinfecting) and at this point in time I am extremely glad I did. It works great around the house and in cars (steaming headliners with a white cloth pad is particularly rewarding), and I don`t have to keep (and let dwell) harsh chemicals around my two little boys.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

What specific make and model of TANCS-certified steamers do you have and what are you using as an enzyme cleaner(s)?

Seems to me that this type of service will be in great demand once "Stay-at-Home" and "Shelter-in-Place" state and/or local government mandates/recommendations are reduced or lifted. And not only for vehicles, but residential homes and business buildings as well.
    I imagine that this will be the next "run" on COVID-19 related cleaning equipment and products for this service. (Economic) Opportunity for someone!

To all those who have posted responses here in this thread on this particular subject, I say "Thank You". Your insight, experiences, and suggestions are not taken lightly by myself coping with this virus and the extraordinary circumstances and conditions we all face. And while this is just a seemingly small aspect (vehicle deep cleaning) of that circumstance, I find it to be an important part of the process getting through this pandemic while reducing or mitigating its effects on personal health, and hopefully, back to a more "normal" life as we know it in America.
    GB detailer
    Likes Stokdgs, Scrapyard, Coatings=crack liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

From 50 years ago, a great song by John Lennon - Isolation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8lOLNfnCBg
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I am bumping this thread to ask if there are any Autopians out there who work at new car dealers or at used car lots and what procedures your are using to disinfect or clean vehicles: IE specific equipment, microfiber manufacturers and type/names, and chemical manufacturer cleaning products you may be using.
    I just want to know if there are specific protocols and methods in place for vehicles being delivered for customer purchased vehicle pickup or after potential customer test drives.

I would really like to know if your car dealership or lot is considering purchasing or has bought steamers, ozone generators, or commercial misters/atomizers/sprayers and what make and model they are.

This COVID-19 sanitizing process is becoming the "new normal" and applies to ANY business that has person-to-person contact as part of their business process, whether retail, hospitality, transportation of people, tourist attractions, food and beverage, entertainment (including sports venues), healthcare, churches and schools, fitness or training gyms, government institutions, and general service (like car detailing).
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I used spray 9 off and on. If the car was covered in pet hair I always broke it out or if the person was a hippie. I alway diluted somewhere in 5 to 1. 30 second soaking time then started cleaning. I also u it in shed mice always make nests in my craftsman mower so I soak nests down before removing.

I like the smell before covid it was dirt cheap between purple power and super clean in price.

Post Thanks / Like

Cleaning interiors during covid 19 pandemic

Reviving this thread as my question is topical - someone earlier asked about whether you would be seeing damage from the antivirus treatments.

Last May, towards the start of the pandemic, I purchased a pre-owned 2015 Accord Coupe with 41k miles. The car was in excellent overall condition with no signs of sun damage on the interior or exterior. I noticed during the test drive some areas of the interior appeared to have a chalky/milky residue which I assumed was due to the dealer spraying the interior with disinfectant spray. Dealer was a large Lexus/Infiniti/Rover/MINI dealer so my assumption is they were using something designed for interior applications.

Car was only on the lot for a week before I purchased and within a few days cleaned and treated the interior using Lexol vinyl - it seemed to remove the residue. I started to notice the passenger dash pad, above the airbag, started to look chalky a few weeks later. I’ve treated the area 3 - 4 times with the same results and the rest of the vehicle continues to look great.

My assumption is that the disinfectant baked into the vinyl as this would be a flat area in direct sunlight. Should I attempt to clean with something like rubbing alcohol or something else?

Thanks!

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Based on what I`ve read, the latest from the CDC is that Covid doesn`t last very long on a surface and getting the virus from a surface is a low risk. Considering the heat buildup in the warmer months disinfecting cars on a regular basis probably isn`t needed.
    Likes llebcire liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    Based on what I`ve read, the latest from the CDC is that Covid doesn`t last very long on a surface and getting the virus from a surface is a low risk. Considering the heat buildup in the warmer months disinfecting cars on a regular basis probably isn`t needed.
    Thanks!

My question is whether I can fix the vinyl which seems to dry out quickly in this one area - I assume there’s either still residue or the dash has bee damaged from treatments last year.

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

First, try an interior quick detailer type product. But I suspect the surface is damaged and most likely can`t be fixed. There are a couple options. One would be to try to cover the damage with a vinyl spray paint. The other is called flocking. It`s a messy but cool looking glued fiber. You can find videos on youtube. It`s messy and removing the dash or taping a plastic drop cloth down tight might be the best options.
    Likes llebcire liked this post

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information