Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting way to deal with bird droppings, Reflow

Caught this video and found it pretty interesting regarding bird dropping removal. Always heard like bugs it was the acid that would etch the clear coat, here they are saying it`s mechanical abrasion that you get when it heats and cools. Either way like bugs get them off as quick as possible as I`m sure all of you have at least some kind of spray on board to tackle them.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Interesting way to deal with bird droppings, Reflow

Interesting. I hope AG picks it up but I bet it’s not cheap.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Since switching to FK1000P I haven`t been cleaning off the bugs/bird-bombs between washes, and I`ve had zero etching even when I left `em on there for months. Yeah, *months*. Not recommending that anybody else let it go like that, just posting my experience.

Much as I like AutoGlym stuff, I`ve sure never needed any kind of special product/approach when I did clean `em off...just a *LOT* of time being *very* careful with swabs/RW/MFs...and I don`t mean just "a minute or two per spot", I really took my time and was certain to let the product do a solvent-action-softening and then "rolled" the [stuff] onto cleaning media instead of "wiping".

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like voodoo to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Since switching to FK1000P I haven`t been cleaning off the bugs/bird-bombs between washes, and I`ve had zero etching even when I left `em on there for months. Yeah, *months*. Not recommending that anybody else let it go like that, just posting my experience.

Much as I like AutoGlym stuff, I`ve sure never needed any kind of special product/approach when I did clean `em off...just a *LOT* of time being *very* careful with swabs/RW/MFs...and I don`t mean just "a minute or two per spot", I really took my time and was certain to let the product do a solvent-action-softening and then "rolled" the [stuff] onto cleaning media instead of "wiping".

I think a lot of it has to do with what kind of birds. In So Cal, a car with zero protection bird droppings don`t seem to do much unless left on forever. I had a person who lived in another state tell me he got Vulture dropping on his Cquartz coated car at work, and when he got home he went to clean it off but it already had bad etching. I dunno if his story was true, but it made me Google Vulture poo and I learned it`s pH level is between 1-2, where Acid Rain`s 4-5. Thankfully, I don`t think So Cal has a single vulture. Couldn`t imagine a bird poo so potent that even a coated car wouldn`t help unless you cleaned it off almost instantly.

Post Thanks / Like

Modern urethane clears are not old lacquers, not really chemically possible to do what they say.
    Before wasting time and money, check the affected area with at least a 30X magnifier, if you observe cracking/crazing, the film former binder of the paint is damaged beyond any buffing for an actual repair.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:
    Likes RaskyR1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

When at Finish Kare, in addition to lab testing, would prepare panels and take to the Santa Anna dump. Would place them on top of the guard shack, facing the main sun. They would get the morning dew, then baked by the sun.
    And the sea gulls which ate anything, would crap on them. Leave them for one month and back to the lab to inspect.

Post Thanks / Like

quebert- Well, I will say that some of our FK`ed vehicles get around and have been [messed] on in various locales..but that is indeed a good point.

Ron Ketcham- That post about the Gulls has me glad I bottled-water-ed the car after it got coated with their [guano] and didn`t roll with my usual "don`t bother" approach. I didn`t get it all off, but good enough to avoid any problems.

That was a *GREAT* way for FK to real-world test, I wouldn`t be surprised if it was your idea

EDIT: Oh, and props for posting how today`s autopaint doesn`t do what some would say

Post Thanks / Like

Either mix 20% or so IPA in the water or just use an automotive glass cleaner as the while the water will remove the solids, it goes down and activates to some extent,the acids in the droppings. The IPA works as a "drying agent" and as it evaporates, pulls some of the imbedded acids with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Ron Ketcham- I recall your mentioning the IPA for this before.

This will be yet another time that you understandably over Yours Truly, but I just don`t experience etching the way one would expect. Situations that I`d bet $ on never bite me. Famous last words, but that`s how it`s been ever since I switched to the Fk1000P. It was *almost* that good with KSG * 6, but nothing like this.

That time with the gulls/Crown Vic I was certain something would cause trouble, but I dodged a bullet that time too...making me even less open to reason perhaps

I will ask you though: Does the IPA strip FK1000P? I`ve heard *so much* conflicting info on whether Rubbing Alcohol will [mess] up LSPs..I just err on the side of caution and don`t go there.

Post Thanks / Like

It will remove a small percentage of the wax film build, but not like a hydrocarbon base dedicated grease/wax remover. 1000P is a polymer micro-wax based product that when cured produces a very tight molecular structure of it`s film. As such the quick evaporation of IPA`s do not allow it to break the structure.

Post Thanks / Like

Ron Ketchan- Ah, OK..thanks for explaining (and not just because it`s what I wanted to hear ). Next time something like that happens I`ll reach for the glovebox bottle of (alcohol-based) Glass Cleaner and not take chances..."you`re only lucky until you`re not" and all that.

Post Thanks / Like

Good info here...Thanks Ron!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

I just came across a product called Drop Wipes. They are meant for cleaning up the crap. I bet they contain alcohol. From the product reviews, looks like people like them.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham View Post
    It will remove a small percentage of the wax film build, but not like a hydrocarbon base dedicated grease/wax remover. 1000P is a polymer micro-wax based product that when cured produces a very tight molecular structure of it`s film. As such the quick evaporation of IPA`s do not allow it to break the structure.
    Wow, thanks for that insight, something to think about with LSP/solvents in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    ..."you`re only lucky until you`re not"
    Kind of how I feel about going to the supermarket right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information