Post Thanks / Like

CarPro Spotless--is it safe for black B-pillar trim?

It says it`s safe for plastic, but the B-pillar trim appears to be a type of laminate plastic, sort of a clear layer sandwiched over a black layer. Does anyone have experience using it to remove water spots from the delicate B-pillars? In this case it`s a CLS 550.

I replaced the trim a year and a half ago after years of crazing/spider web development, and they still look new without any product other than foam on foam washing. I just want to get the water spots off (and I use a deionizer anyway, but the car is outside 24/7).

Post Thanks / Like

Re: CarPro Spotless--is it safe for black B-pillar trim?

DrewPT- This won`t be of any help (I don`t know from Spotless), but I`m just wondering how it got waterspotted in the first place. Might oughta reconsider whatever LSP you`re using on them so it doesn`t happen again. ("Gee, thanks Capt. Obvious.." huh? sorry.. )

What do you think..what`s the nature of the waterspots? Hopefully they`re not etched in there...but they might not be (only regular) mineral deposits if they`re from sitting outside, and that sounds like what the Spotless is geared towards. While I`ve removed mineral deposits just fine (I used ValuGard`s "B"), the etching on my wife`s A8 from Memphis municipal water was a different story and nothing will ever get that damage out.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m careful to prevent/remove water spots best I can after washing, so these are from rain only (unless the unfiltered water dried on the b-pillars before final rinse, but I would think this next step described would loosen them up). After sudsing down with a foam wash, I turn the bypass nozzle off so I can do a final rinse with deionized water, and then carefully dry with a push towel lightly dragged over the surfaces. With a ceramic coat on the painted surfaces, it does encourage rain water to bead which obviously leaves spots all over. A lot of them do wash off with the next wash process I described. So, despite my fastidious efforts, I figured giving a specific-issue product a try for the more stubborn ones (to minimize need for paint correction, as we`ve discussed recently).

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I have always lightly polished Black B,C, Pillars on a few hundred German cars to remove the damage and get them perfectly clear, applied the LSP, Sealant, or Coating on them, and never had any Client tell me they got all water spotted up.. And this is where it rains about 300 days a year.. But the rain in the Pacific Northwest is perhaps, really clean and does not bring down a lot of pollution, etc., with it..
    I do not see the water spot issue in Northern California either..

If you have a ceramic coat on the paint, why not apply it to the Pillars ? It will have to help if nothing is on them now..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I have always lightly polished Black B,C, Pillars on a few hundred German cars to remove the damage and get them perfectly clear, applied the LSP, Sealant, or Coating on them, and never had ..[issues]..
    I`ve never had problems from polishing the ones on my German cars, but the Mazda`s pillars had a black film-over-plastic, the pigmented layer of which was *VERY* thin, and I don`t mean 3 microns..it was THIN. You could cut through it with a Finishing Polish and even some AIOs.

Post Thanks / Like

CarPro Spotless will not harm your black pillars. Be sure to avoid glass. If it gets on glass, wipe off quickly and neutralize with window cleaner or QD.

Post Thanks / Like

Great, thanks guys!

Thread Information