Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Solution Finish - What`s your trim topper

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    I really like the Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer for faded black trim. Has a nice natural look, isn’t real finicky like I’ve heard Solution Finish is. I can’t speak for durability, it’s only been on three or four months so far.
    That sounds great...except it`s black and anything black (like the TW tire coating) I seem to make a mess of...

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    I second Wolfgang (WETS) or Mckees Plastic Trim Restorer... practically the same thing. Applies so easily and lasts months. Looks nice. If you have really wasted trim you can do SF first, but otherwise these two options will keep it looking new if used every few months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Huh, OK...funny since it`s one product I simply love (though not as much as I did the v1.0) {Ultima Tire & Trim Guard}.
    I`ve never used the UTTG, I presume the v1.0 was more like WETS. These are great products, easy to apply, nothing to mess up, last a decent amount of time. I think a better solution than coatings, but time slips away from me and I always seem to be applying them after I`ve noticed some fading rather than on a proactive basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham View Post
    Simple,when doing some testing for the owner of Solution Finish, used Wipe-New , worked great, holds up for the year of the test.
    Now that`s funny...I think you have mentioned that before.

Post Thanks / Like

Simple,when doing some testing for the owner of Solution Finish, used Wipe-New , worked great, holds up for the year of the test.
    Coming from you, that got my attention. Guess Wipe-New is OK if it gets your seal of approval, so thanks for mentioning it (again...I`m listening this time).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I`ve never used the UTTG, I presume the v1.0 was more like WETS. These are great products, easy to apply, nothing to mess up, last a decent amount of time. I think a better solution than coatings, but time slips away from me and I always seem to be applying them after I`ve noticed some fading rather than on a proactive basis..
    Truth be told, that`s usually when I redo mine too. Some area will need redone and that precipitates doing a lot more. At least that "lot more" is staying ahead of the curve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    I clicked on the youtube link Guz....I know seeing things over a screen vs. in person may differ to the eyes. In the videos, it does look like too my much gloss, which was my experience with another trim coating. I just like the black,--eggshell-- gloss one gets with SB. And a little (literally in words) goes a looong way.
    You are right. Then the simple answer is stick with what you know. Textured trim will reflect the light differently than smooth trim with something on it.

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    I haven`t been happy with the trim that I have re-dyed with SF and then applied a trim coating too afterwards. It would have either been DLUX or GTechniq C1. After the dye effect has worn off after a 12-18 months when you attempt to reapply SF to that trim it will absorb terribly because the remaining trim coating. It will look all blotchy. There`s not good way to prep for the trim coating removal except for time.

I keep it to WETS, M37 Trim restorer, UTTG afterwards or something similar since I learned that lesson.
    Well said. It does help to just reapply whatever coating was applied after a cleaning. That seems to work better than trying to reapply SF.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Think "base-clear"-the Wipe-New has a strong resin system, unlike a dressing. It may appear a bit shiny for a short time but with time will settle down to a more satin finish.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like

Think "base-clear"-the Wipe-New has a strong resin system...
    Ah, OK, Resins...now I get it.

And yeah, other than for tires I just don`t get the idea of Dressings. No way would I want to reapply every few weeks/months (which is a big part of why I like that UTTG+).

Post Thanks / Like

Tires contain a percentage of a UV anti-oxidant wax-IE with driving and the heat generated by driving, the important
    blooming" process takes place to replace the wax that has gotten to the surface and is used up by exposure is replaced The blooming pushes the surface was with a "dressing" away, combine that with the evaporation of either the dimethal silicone or PDMS leaves the sidewall. Over the years have experimented with various resins to overcome this action. Lately, after some thinking, applied two coats of common liquid acrylic floor wax and allowed it to dry. The floor wax does not create a gloss, more of satin finish. At that point, I applied a common PDMS water borne dressing over it. The acrylic wax provided sort of a barrier over the UV wax and appears to have extended the life of the PDMS dressing. Will play with it more come warmer weather.

Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Solution Finish - What`s your trim topper

I played with floor wax as a sealant for wheel wells years back. Worked so-so and not well enough to stop using automotive dressings on them. I’d be curious how the floor wax under dressing pans on tires though.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill, the floor wax is cheap enough, get some and play with it, also great on those old vinyl roofs, lasts for a month or longer and rain does not wash it off and leave streaks on the paint and glass like a PDMS resin based dressing will.

Post Thanks / Like

Boy, I feel like it`s 2004 again, what was that floor wax y`all were using? We just need David B. to put some in a bottle with Sonus on it and it will be just like old times.

To be fair I think David B. was replacing a discontinued Meguiar`s product, in the way McKee`s replaced D114. https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...gine-kote.html

Post Thanks / Like

I used to use Mop n Glo. I think the Sonus product was a little bit better.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes Ron Ketcham liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    To be fair I think David B. was...
    Always 100% stand-up in his dealings with me. I might be in the minority here, but I never had one bit of disappointment in any of my dealings with him.

Post Thanks / Like

Placing a order and revising this thread.
    Re: Wipe New. Is this a Solutions Finish Product.

When I google Wipe New, all I get is a Rust-OLeaum product.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    When I google Wipe New, all I get is a Rust-OLeaum product.
    Better not take just my word for it, but I *think* that`s right...and why some of us where skeptical until Ketch approved the stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL. Never would think I would pick up rustoleum for the autos

Double Thread Bump. Anyone Using Wipe New ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information