Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Grease for polisher

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    I sure hope I can find some bearings. I highly doubt Griot`s would use some form of proprietary size, so I suspect I`ll be able to find a replacement online somewhere. I wasn`t intending to get the bearing from Griot`s anyway.
    Google "Bearing Interchange Chart". It is what we in engineering used to find obsolete bearings (IE, bearings from manufacturers no longer in business or bearings no longer being made by the original manufacturer) OR cheaper off-shore bearing manufacturers (AKA, reverse-engineered or knock-offs) to cross-reference bearing part numbers from various bearing manufacturers. Most "better" bearing have some bearing number stamped or etched the side of the race to identify them in some way. If not, the bearing is REALLY cheap and the only way to find a suitable replacement is to measure the inside diameter and outside diameter and thickness with a digital calipers in millimeters and find an identical-sized "upgrade" from a bearing manufacturer. SKF offers some of the best bearings in the business, but you pay for it (think Porsche quality with Porsche price or Snap-On tools versus Harbor Freight tools) ). You will see how many different bearing manufacturer there are on this chart. Many of the long-time USA companies are no longer in business due to off-shore competition (like New Departure and Hyatt).

Since we are on the subject of bearings, I will caution those of you who are having wheel bearings replaced on vehicles at non-dealer repair shops OR if you do it yourself. Be careful of the bearing that you buy. With low quality knock-offs available at a very reasonable price, saving quite few bucks for a bearing might not be in the best interest of vehicle safety and your well-being. ASK to see the bearing AND the box it came in at a non-dealer repair shop if they tell you that they can install one at a very cheap price quote. Imitation and counterfeit bearings are hard to spot, however, just like counterfeit money. One way is if all the printing on the box is in Chinese subscript and there is no English on it other than "Made in China." or if the bearing looks rusty already, even though it has lubrication grease or corrosion-inhibiting oil on it.
    GB detailer
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie- Hey, you`re posting all sorts of good info on this thread

haha. Snake Oil
    Yeah, kinda clever marketing there IMO (that really is the name of it). Very good, and *CLEAN* lube that doesn`t seem to attract/retain dirt all that badly and that lasts/stays put well for such a light-viscosity product. Tiny little bottle with a great applicator-tip, made primarily for firearms back in maybe the `90s. Dunno whether they still make it....

I haven`t had issues, either. At least, I don`t think so. My PC did seem to "see out" some melted grease over the summer last year. I picked it up and felt it all...sort of wet...around the venting area. Noticed a bit of dark grease around there. Figured the hot summer months in the non-insulated garage did a number on it. But, after taking it apart last night, not so sure. Some grease looks fine..
    Huh, I`m a bit surprised by that "dark grease around vents". Mine got used in a shop that often got into the triple-digits but I`ve never seen that.

I think much of what we do is overkill
    Heh heh, that gets my vote for Understatement of the Month.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Lonnie- Hey, you`re posting all sorts of good info on this thread
    Yes! Thanks Lonnie

Yeah, kinda clever marketing there IMO (that really is the name of it). Very good, and *CLEAN* lube that doesn`t seem to attract/retain dirt all that badly and that lasts/stays put well for such a light-viscosity product. Tiny little bottle with a great applicator-tip, made primarily for firearms back in maybe the `90s. Dunno whether they still make it....
    haha... I dig the name. Not sure I`d buy it without the approval of one such as yourself, though.

Huh, I`m a bit surprised by that "dark grease around vents". Mine got used in a shop that often got into the triple-digits but I`ve never seen that.

Here are some pics.

Post Thanks / Like

JustJesus- Huh, that *did* look really nasty in there! Guess it`s a good thing you opened it up and regreased it.

Post Thanks / Like

I think my 7424 Porter Cable need to be greased.

Would Valvoline semi synthetic grease work?

Post Thanks / Like

JustJesus- Huh, that *did* look really nasty in there! Guess it`s a good thing you opened it up and regreased it.
    My mistake for not making it clear. Only that one bit looked nasty. The "clean" grease is from the factory. I hadn`t regreased it yet.

Last night, I finished taking it apart. I kind of regret it now! Removing so much of that good grease, only to apply more good grease?

Okay okay. In all fairness to myself, I figured I`ll try out the process on my cheapest polisher, the PC, before attempting to do it on my Flex 3401.
    That, and since I started, I kind of wanted to finish

Tonight, if all goes according to plan, I`ll add the new grease. The parts were cleaned last nigh, and just awaiting the new stuff.

Wish me luck

Post Thanks / Like

.. I figured I`ll try out the process on my cheapest polisher, the PC, before attempting to do it on my Flex 3401.
    Why are you regreasing your Flex 3401? All I`ve ever done to mine is the rare (maybe three times total) reoiling of that felt-like ring behind the plate.

Post Thanks / Like

Why are you regreasing your Flex 3401? All I`ve ever done to mine is the rare (maybe three times total) reoiling of that felt-like ring behind the plate.
    it`s for the used model I bought, my second 3401.

It`s an early model, I want to say 2009 or so, and I bought it off ebay. On one of my last jobs, I was using that one more than my newer 3401, and I was noticing my pads getting some heat warp type stuff. I swapped the BP on both 3401s, and noticed the old unit had a bit of "darkening / burn" type stuff, sort of like when you check the dipstick on a car that ran with too low on oil? if that makes sense.

Also, I`m sort of going to "modify" some bits, and figure might as well replace the grease (and any wear items as needed).
    (don`t ask about the mods, it`s a secret for now..hehe)

I do tend to reoil the felt ring almost every time before use. It`s quick, and I figure cheap insurance. How else will I go through that hole bottle of the oil, anyhow?

Post Thanks / Like

I figure in any instance, no matter what machine, and what grease, grease gets old, it liquifies with generated heat, and then from centrifugal force gets slung out of the way from where it`s needed.

That periodic inspection, and re-greasing, provided re-assembly is done properly with no damage, any and all units will benefit, and then live a longer life.

Post Thanks / Like

it`s for the used model I bought, my second 3401...
    Ah, OK..does sound like it could use some attention.

I noticed the old unit had a bit of "darkening / burn" type stuff, sort of like when you check the dipstick on a car that ran with too low on oil? if that makes sense.
    Yikes, it makes sense but I`m glad I`ve never experienced anything like that!

I do tend to reoil the felt ring almost every time before use. It`s quick, and I figure cheap insurance. How else will I go through that hole bottle of the oil, anyhow?
    Ah, you`re young...you`ll use it up. Though I bought that tiny bottle of SnakeOil back in the `90s, used it a *LOT* at the range, and still have most of it left.

Gee, I`ve maybe lubed that felt ring three-four times since my Flex was new...you must lean on it more than I do as there`s hardly ever been any contact to justify the oiling. Guess I`m careful after all the (IMO user-error-related) failures when they first came out (mine is a really early one).

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD
    I figure in any instance, no matter what machine...
    I sure won`t argue with that Guess I`m spoiled by those Cyclos....*Zero* maintenance for decades, including years of frequent use in a shop, and when I sent the oldest one in they said it didn`t need *anything* at all.."it`s like new inside"..though I did have them chance the brushes anyhow. Note that unit had been, uhm...abused badly..too, was even left outside during some storms.

Post Thanks / Like

I buttoned her up last night. The regret I had, was gone after I was done. I`m glad I did it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Likes SWETM, Loach, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

What`s the best way to get that gear assembly out of the top there? Does it just pull straight up and out once you get the plate cover off? Mine was on there good I figured I was missing something, I ended up power cleaning and repacking the new grease from the sides.

Looks good!
    WaxMode - Product Testing & Reviews
    Likes JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Loach, thanks.

You are correct. There is another two steps before you can pull that gear off. On the other side, you will need to pull the bearing assembly out. It`s the part where the backing plate screws onto.

That exposes a small 5/16" bolt head that needs to be removed. Remove it. You will need to hold the gear assembly as you unbolt it. I used a flathead as a pry bar against the gear, as accessed through the hole on the other side.

Once that`s off, the gear assembly pulls straight out.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Thanks Loach, Stokdgs thanked for this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information