Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Grease for polisher

Was talking to my maintenance supervisor at work today about grease for my polishers and he handed me a tube of this said I could have it. Apparently they are switching grease and have some extra.

Will this be acceptable grease for a DA polisher?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Grease for polisher

People have been using Wolf`s Head Red

I wonder if the Chevron stuff would work, though. I was just at Home Depot looking at the grease they carry.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

OP, I’m on my phone, so searching what type of grease you were given isn’t very easy, so I will leave you with this: How does that grease compare to White Lithium Complex? White Lithium Complex is designed for bearings/gears that experience high speed, high load, and high temperatures, for sustained periods of time. It’s the go to grease for many many bearing/gear applications where a fluid bath is not feasible. Some may considered WLC a little overkill for a polisher, but grease is the cheapest form of insurance.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a related thread on repacking grease in a polisher started by Mary B:
    https://www.autopia.org/forums/machi...ghlight=grease

By the way, the NLGI 2 on the side of the tube is the viscosity rating for this grease and is designed for extreme-pressure/stress applications (as in coming together, like gears under extreme loads, which I assume the "EP" notation stand for) OR hi-temp applications (like disc brakes or hot environments, like machine bearings in ovens or dryer machinery) and is thicker than NLGI 1. NLGI 2 has the consistency of peanut butter. Just remember, this thicker grease will also induce some amount of "drag" on the polisher motor. If you operate the polisher for extended periods of time (say, 4 hours of constant use) or use it every day as a professional detailer may do, this thicker grease might be a good application.
    GB detailer
    Likes Stokdgs, Loach liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I was at the auto parts store last night for some power steering return hose, looking through the aisles (already hit the detailing section, of course) when I ran into the grease section. Then I remembered I wanted some for my 3401.

So I was reading through some of the dozen there (including Mystic, Valvoline, Lucas, etc).

Ended up getting the Lucas Red and Tacky. Was it the "polymers" that sold me on it? Or that its drop point was 540* which was higher than Valvoline`s 500*? Who knows.

Not sure when I`ll actually put it in, though. Have some projects that have priority. I can open later and take a photo.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Likes Stokdgs, Loach liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve got Royal Purple High Performance 01312 running in a lot of mine that I`m keeping an eye on, including my cheap Chinese Hyet(Goplus) 21mm and one of my favorites - Chechnya CHE-S15 that are both running buttery smooth. I threw the Lucas Red N Tacky in the Dewalt rotary which seems to be working well over the last 4 months. My GG6 I could not get that gear assembly out for the life of me, spindle lock much have been barely stripped preventing me from being able to unscrew the assembly, anyone ran into that issue?
    WaxMode - Product Testing & Reviews
    Likes JustJesus, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think they had Royal Purple, or I would have maybe got that one instead. Or debated.

Haven`t tried with the GG6, though I want to replace a bearing in the gg3. Might as well de-grease it

Post Thanks / Like

I`m finding this thread kinda interesting...I`ve never greased a Polisher in my life (nor, AFAIK, had issues from not doing so) and/but I`m sure not saying that`s OK!

I *have* lubed the Felt Ring on the Flex 3401 a few times, but I just used Snake Oil (yeah, actual product name) for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Brian just did a video today and mentioned White Lithium Grease.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KBsToy View Post
    Brian just did a video today and mentioned White Lithium Grease.
    That`s what Lonnie has been saying, lithium grease [complex].

Post Thanks / Like

Is the Royal Purple High Performance 01312 grease THE consensus of you Autopians to use on buffer/polisher gears??

On a related note about grease, some greases are incompatible with one another and will cause corrosion due the chemical reaction between them. This is especially true in grease used for bearings. I only know about this working at a helicopter manufacturer. When helicopters crash, usually a Federal Aviation Agency (FAA) will do an investigation. In a helicopter crash in Alaska (not involving a helicopter for the company I worked for), it was determined that the crash occurred when the rear rotor blade failed to rotate and seized up. Closer examination determined the failure was caused by corroded bearings due to an acidic reaction between two different greases used for maintenance lubrication of the bearings. Needless to say, there is a reason why placards are placed on critical parts with grease manufacturer and specifications used for maintenance of these parts. Might not seem important on bearings of a lawnmower or farm equipment, but it is on aviation equipment.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I haven`t heard of other guys running Royal Purple 01312 in the polishers, just me so far. It`s what I was using around the cars so I figured I`d try it out for a long term run. This is an aluminum complex grease as opposed to a lithium based one. I was grabbing it for around $10 a tube at the parts stores locally, much more expensive than regular greases, but results are good so far with no issues and it`s most likely overkill in the polishers compared to the Lucas Red N Tacky and Wolf`s Red.
    WaxMode - Product Testing & Reviews
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    ...On a related note about grease, some greases are incompatible with one another and will cause corrosion due the chemical reaction between them. This is especially true in grease used for bearings.... Needless to say, there is a reason why placards are placed on critical parts with grease manufacturer and specifications used for maintenance of these parts. Might not seem important on bearings of a lawnmower or farm equipment, but it is on aviation equipment...[and other things we trust our lives to]...
    Good on you for posting that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    I dont think they had Royal Purple, or I would have maybe got that one instead. Or debated.

Haven`t tried with the GG6, though I want to replace a bearing in the gg3. Might as well de-grease it

Can you then get a Bearing for the GG3? Or will you have to outsource from some 3rd party company who sells Bearings?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I`m finding this thread kinda interesting...I`ve never greased a Polisher in my life (nor, AFAIK, had issues from not doing so) and/but I`m sure not saying that`s OK!

I *have* lubed the Felt Ring on the Flex 3401 a few times, but I just used Snake Oil (yeah, actual product name) for that.
    haha. Snake Oil

I haven`t had issues, either. At least, I don`t think so. My PC did seem to "see out" some melted grease over the summer last year. I picked it up and felt it all...sort of wet...around the venting area. Noticed a bit of dark grease around there. Figured the hot summer months in the non-insulated garage did a number on it. But, after taking it apart last night, not so sure. Some grease looks fine

Quote Originally Posted by Loach View Post
    .. but results are good so far with no issues and it`s most likely overkill in the polishers compared to the Lucas Red N Tacky and Wolf`s Red.
    I think much of what we do is overkill

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Good on you for posting that.
    Agreed. I was actually tempted to mix Red N Tacky with the OEM grease in the PC, as I couldn`t figure out how to remove the "innards" of the gear mechanism. [shrug]

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD View Post
    Can you then get a Bearing for the GG3? Or will you have to outsource from some 3rd party company who sells Bearings?
    I sure hope I can find some bearings. I highly doubt Griot`s would use some form of proprietary size, so I suspect I`ll be able to find a replacement online somewhere. I wasn`t intending to get the bearing from Griot`s anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information