Post Thanks / Like

Help/thoughts with AIO/LSP on white paint (2015 Focus)

Our babysitter just got a 5-6 year old white Ford Focus and I want to hook her up with a cleaning and winter/spring protection. It’s her 2nd and best cat she’s owned and she’s quite thankful for it, wants to keep it nice! I’m impressed with her attitude.

I have so much stuff I don’t use that I think is good on white paint and durable, so I’m particularly having the following in mind to apply during a quick 2 hour detail (will include wash):
    FK1000p
    PNS / BSD
    DG 105 / 601
    Mckees 360

Initial thoughts:
    I think she would be pleasantly surprised how the white will look polished, otherwise I would just slap a coat of PNS or FK1000p after a chemical wash and be done. I don’t think Ill have enough time to do a good polish with Mckees 360 after a wash.

So, seems like DG 105/601 is my best bet since I think it can be applied quickly being only a cleaner sealant with no abrasives. I may follow with PNS or FK1000p a week later, but Sunday I’m just concerned with the 501 cleaning.

QuestionS for forum:
    - Since I’ve never used 105 with 601, please help me: do I mix the two on a pad together and apply, or is it best to apply 601 then 501 on top of the dry residue? I know directions are the latter but I thought I read about the former being effective, and obviously quicker if that works.

- Also, does anyone see any reason why PNS or FK1000p might not bond to DG 105 a week or two later?

- And of course if anyone sees a way better process for a quick clean and protect given the products above, feel free to give feedback!

Edit: - And, is there any point in using a polishing pad for 105 even though I’ll be moving very quickly, or is a LC black/red the way to go?

Thanks for helping the women who helps out with my son!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help/thoughts with AIO/LSP on white paint (2015 Focus)

acuRAS82- Ah yeah...Ford`s Performance White (or whatever they`re calling it these days) can look great when it`s even remotely well-detailed, I`m sure she`ll be thrilled!

I don`t know from the DG products, but I`m confident the FK1000P will work OK as a topper given the stuff I`ve applied it over. Perfect combo IMO.

I utterly despise the LC Black/etc. pads for jobs like this! Too soft, too "tight" in the porosity dept., just not something I`ve ever liked with an AIO (eh, I seldom even use them for LSPs). I would *absolutely* use a Polishing Pad instead. I`d use the "harshest" one that doesn`t leave micromarring, maybe a LC Tangerine-type pad if that rings a bell. Ford`s clear has never been stupid-soft for me, so I`m confident a Polishing pad will be gentle enough, and it`ll help the AIO do its thing much better (and be easier on you, especially when you stop to clean the pad(s) out).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    acuRAS82- Ah yeah...Ford`s Performance White (or whatever they`re calling it these days) can look great when it`s even remotely well-detailed, I`m sure she`ll be thrilled!

I don`t know from the DG products, but I`m confident the FK1000P will work OK as a topper given the stuff I`ve applied it over. Perfect combo IMO.

I utterly despise the LC Black/etc. pads for jobs like this! Too soft, too "tight" in the porosity dept., just not something I`ve ever liked with an AIO (eh, I seldom even use them for LSPs). I would *absolutely* use a Polishing Pad instead. I`d use the "harshest" one that doesn`t leave micromarring, maybe a LC Tangerine-type pad if that rings a bell. Ford`s clear has never been stupid-soft for me, so I`m confident a Polishing pad will be gentle enough, and it`ll help the AIO do its thing much better (and be easier on you, especially when you stop to clean the pad(s) out).
    Thanks for the thorough advice, Accumulator. I could stick with the orange LC, at least on my hard German paints they usually leave a good finish. I’ll give it a test spot, otherwise I can go white.

I’ve never felt compelled to try the black pads, something soft but maybe-sort-of-ultra-light-fine-polishing ability never seemed like a benefit during my corrections or AIOs.

Im glad to know that FK1000p works on top for you. I’ll be trying it soon one way or another.

Babysitter couldn’t come today because of a personal issue. My parents may be in town Thursday though for 4 days and hopefully bringing their white 2008 Lexus RDX. So it will likely get served first and I will have mire time to do that one and see what I like on white.

Post Thanks / Like

acuRAS82- Ah, that`s great that you`ll have the white Lexus to work on first! I bet its paint will be a good bit softer than the Ford clear, so if your approach works on it you oughta be all set!

Those LC Black and similar ones were one of my Buyer`s Remorse products. I did/do like the GG red pad OK, and I hear the LC Gold LSPing pad is All That, but I generally don`t like really soft pads.

Heh heh, back a few decades we did fine with Cyclos and only their Green Polishing pads. Nothing else available, used those for everything from rocks-in-bottle to LSPs and they were perfectly OK. Nowadays we`re SO much more advanced, but I dunno if it always really matters.
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post

Thread Information