Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2020 Ceramic Coating 1 Year Test

This should be an interesting test for some of you. Before I get ahead of myself I will mention the run rules for this test.

1. This will be a 1 year long test without toppers. I do this to show the performance of the coating rather than test a topper that is applied to them. That shows the performance of the topper and not the coating.
    2. Quarterly updates will be provided (3 months, 6 months, 9 months, 12 months).
    3. I will post up an update if a coating or coatings behavior changes. All of you are free to ask for updates but expect a short text answer.
    4. I will be doing a chemical decon during those quarterly updates to see how these coatings perform as contaminant free as possible.
    5. If this test turns out well then I will do one again with other brands.
    6. All coatings have been layered with two coats per the manufacturers recommendations other than Gyeon Syncro and Drexler Ceramic which have 3 layers of total coatings per the manufacturers recommendations.

NOTE: I will mention that the first layers sat 18 hours before I applied the second layer.

Products:

Top Row (Left to right):

• 22ple HPC – 2 layers (18 hours between layers)
    • 22ple Insanity – 2 layers (18 hours between layers)
    • Gyeon Mohs – 2 layers (1 hour between layers)
    • Gyeon Syncro – 2 layers of Mohs (1 hour between layers) + 1 layer of Skin(18 hours later)
    • Gyeon CanCoat – 2 layers (1 hour between layers)

Middle Row:

• Drexler Ceramic - Base Coat 2 layers (18 hours between layers)
    • Drexler Ceramic – Base Coat 2 layers (18 hours between layers) + Top Coat(1 hour after the second layer of Base Coat)
    • IGL Quartz+ - Base (1 layer) + Top (1 layer 18 hours later)
    • SPS Graphene – 2 layers (18 hours between layers)
    • Cquartz UK 3.0 – 2 layers (18 hours between layers)
    • Cquartz Lite – 2 layers (18 hours between layers)

Bottom Row:

• Jade Ice - 2 layers (18 hours between layers)
    • Jade Quartz - 2 layers (18 hours between layers)
    • Shine Supply Beadlock Pro - 2 layers (18 hours between layers)
    • Cquartz TiO2 - 2 layers (18 hours between layers)
    • Adams UV Paint Coating - 2 layers (18 hours between layers)
    • Adams UV Spray Coating - 2 layers (18 hours between layers)

SPS Graphene is placed in the middle to compare it to the other coatings which are quartz based with Gyeon Syncro being an exception. IGL was placed next to SPS to compare two professional coatings. Thanks goes out to the two forum members who supplied IGL and SPS to me.

22ple Insanity and Shine Supply Beadlock Pro are new coatings that were released late 2019.

Adams implemented their patented UV ceramic glow technology for these new versions of their coatings that were released late 2019.

From an application standpoint, I had no issues with any of these. But then again I have been applying coatings for a long time now. But they are all user friendly.

From a slickness standpoint this is how I would personally rate them. This will vary between each person. I am basing this after a 24 hour cure time from the last applied layer.

It is by no means scientific but I based this on how the coatings felt as I brushed my hand on the surface. I went over the areas a few times and compared them to each other and based my list on what I my personal ranking.

1. SPSGraphene – This coating is slick and from experience stays slick for a few months. It barely beat Gyeon Syncro and Cquartz TiO2 in this category.
    2. Gyeon Syncro – Skin has always been the star of the show with this coating. So nice to apply and so slick upon removal. I hope it performs better this time around.
    3. CquartzTiO2 – I don’t recall this coating feeling that slick. It almost felt like it was reformulated a bit. But I have not used it in 18 months.
    4. Adams UV Paint Coating – To me this feels like a sleeper coating. Long term performance will dictate if it can compete with the big names in the coating industry.
    5. Jade Ice – This was a surprise in terms of slickness. Overall real nice to work with.
    6. Drexler Ceramic(Base Coat + Top Coat)– the top coat is what adds slickness to the base coat which is tacky.
    7. Shine Supply Beadlock Pro
    8. Jade Quartz – Tacky went wiped off
    9. Adams Spray UV Coating
    10. 22ple Insanity – The 22ple reps on social media hyped this coating as being slick. I was expecting it to be as slick at the coatings above it.
    11. 22ple HPC
    12. Gyeon Mohs – Tends to tack up as it cures unlike the slick feeling upon wipe off.
    13. IGL Quartz+ - The base is very tacky after it begins to cure. Top has the typical tacky coating sensation. Was expecting this to feel slicker.
    14. Cquartz Lite
    15. Gyeon CanCoat
    16. Cquartz UK 3.0
    17. Drexler Ceramic Base Coat – Very tacky after it begins to cure unlike how slick it is during wipe off.

In terms of this list it is a toss up between number 5 thru 11. They could easily be arranged in any order. It is that close.

I went through many suede applicators for these coatings other than Drexler Top Coat, Gyeon CanCoat and Adams Spray Coating which were applied by using a microfiber applicator.

This is the transition point to the Adams coatings. I will monitor this to see if it is an indicator of the coating degrading over time.

From a cost perspective (least to most per ml). I separated them into two categories. I took the retail price and did not included any discounts. Smart shopping is the best time to purchase a coating.

Coating Lite:

1. Adams Spray Coating 236.5mlat $26 = 0.11/ml
    2. Gyeon CanCoat 200ml at $54.99 = 0.27/ml
    3. Cquartz Lite 150ml at $44.99 = 0.30/ml

From a cost perspective Adams UV Spray coating comes in the cheapest per ml. Cquartz Lite comes in on the high end out of the tree products. We will see how they perform in the long term.

Coating Full:

1. Jade Ice 50ml at $60.48 = $1.21/ml
    2. Drexler Ceramic (Base Coat 30ml, Top Coat 50ml) – An average of 40ml’s includes both products at $69.90 = $1.75/ml
    3. Jade Quartz 50ml at $90.80 = $1.82/ml
    4. Cquartz UK 3.0 30ml at$54.99= $1.83/ml
    5. Cquartz TiO2 30ml at$57.99=$1.93/ml
    6. Adams UV Paint Coating 50ml at $100 = $2.00/ml
    7. Gyeon Mohs 50mlat $129.99 = $2.60/ml
    8. 22ple HPC 30ml at $109.99 = $3.67/ml
    9. Shine Supply Beadlock Pro 30ml at $115 = $3.83/ml
    10. 22ple Insanity 30ml at $134.99 = $4.50/ml
    11. Gyeon Syncro (Mohs 50ml, Skin 30ml) - An average of 40ml’s includes both products at $179.99= $4.50/ml

I had to take an average for Drexler Ceramic and Gyeon Syncro so their price is not exact per ml. But doing so Gyeon Syncro and 22ple Insanity have the highest cost per ml. Jade Ice comes in at the lowest per ml. We will see how each of these performs in the long term to determine if the performance justifies the price for any of these coatings.

The next update will be a first wash video to have a baseline of the beading and sheeting for each coating.

Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2020 Ceramic Coating 1 Year Test

Very nice! Looking forward to your results. I`m curious how some toppers would hold up in a similar test.
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Subscribed. A few coatings I’m interested in and thanks for testing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

This is great, thanks for taking the time to do this.

facebook.com/Angermayers-Auto-Detail-Wash

Post Thanks / Like

This should be fun...well done!
    Thanks The Guz thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

For me, the most interesting part will be seeing how the "lite" products endure compared to the hard coatings. Can`t wait, thanks for doing this.
    Likes Scrapyard, The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome done Mike!
    Looking forward to see the difference between them and how it looks at the year mark. Many interesting products and well spread out in different kind of coatings.

Thanks for shareing your testing with us!

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice project and will be interesting to see.Maybe next time you ask thru all of us.Then we can offer up some of our left overs.That way you could have more products to try.I would hate to see the cost of opening brand new bottles for this test

Post Thanks / Like

Great potential review Mike.
    That`s a Lot of work.

Been keeping an eye on your Youtube channel also.

Post Thanks / Like

Guz:
    Thanks for doing this test and taking the time to buy, apply, AND post pics and your thoughts on these coatings.

While the results are rather subjective in nature (IE, based on the judgment, opinion, evaluation, and/or emotions of the person rather than being objective by quantifiable measurements from such equipment, predefined standards or templates, and/or statistical data (IE, comparative measurements and numeric importance assigned to them). Even with an "objective" statistical evaluation, what characteristics of a coating are most important to the end user? Here are some of those coating characteristics that I am talking about, in no particular order:
    1) Initial purchase price
    2) Cost per application
    3) Ease of application
    4) Gloss or appearance
    5) Hydroscopic water beading characteristics
    6) Self-cleaning characteristics
    7) Protection from environmental fallout and road traffic film (RTF)
    8) Durability or longevity
    9) Ease of maintenance
    10) Manufacturer`s warranty

Each characteristic will carry a different weight or numeric value of importance to each end user of a coating for their vehicle. But at least it gives some relevance to evaluating a coating.
    My question and I am sure other Autopians will ask is:
    Which coating do you like best and why??
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to the results as well. I’ve never known 22ple products to be real slick. I had to put C2v3 over Pro 1 because the customer wasn’t happy with the grabby feel it had. It was still extremely hydrophobic though. I’ve always liked the 22ple products, especially their ease of application in hot climates.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by showbbq View Post
    Very nice! Looking forward to your results. I`m curious how some toppers would hold up in a similar test.
    Thanks. Perhaps that topper test is a future test. I won`t be topping anything for this test.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapyard View Post
    This is great, thanks for taking the time to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    This should be fun...well done!
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    For me, the most interesting part will be seeing how the "lite" products endure compared to the hard coatings. Can`t wait, thanks for doing this.
    Exactly why I included them in this test.

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Awesome done Mike!
    Looking forward to see the difference between them and how it looks at the year mark. Many interesting products and well spread out in different kind of coatings.

Thanks for shareing your testing with us!

/ Tony
    I tried to find various products that caught my eye.

Quote Originally Posted by T-man143 View Post
    Very nice project and will be interesting to see.Maybe next time you ask thru all of us.Then we can offer up some of our left overs.That way you could have more products to try.I would hate to see the cost of opening brand new bottles for this test
    Thanks. Smart shopping as I pointed out brings the cost of these products down. I am not so worried about the cost as I will find other uses for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Marine Clerk View Post
    Great potential review Mike.
    That`s a Lot of work.

Been keeping an eye on your Youtube channel also.
    Thanks. I had 3 weeks off of work and I was able to do quite a bit during my time off. Setting this one up was time consuming. Applying the coating, letting it set up, wiping it off and then lifting the tape to not get a hard line.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Guz:
    Thanks for doing this test and taking the time to buy, apply, AND post pics and your thoughts on these coatings.

While the results are rather subjective in nature (IE, based on the judgment, opinion, evaluation, and/or emotions of the person rather than being objective by quantifiable measurements from such equipment, predefined standards or templates, and/or statistical data (IE, comparative measurements and numeric importance assigned to them). Even with an "objective" statistical evaluation, what characteristics of a coating are most important to the end user? Here are some of those coating characteristics that I am talking about, in no particular order:
    1) Initial purchase price
    2) Cost per application
    3) Ease of application
    4) Gloss or appearance
    5) Hydroscopic water beading characteristics
    6) Self-cleaning characteristics
    7) Protection from environmental fallout and road traffic film (RTF)
    8) Durability or longevity
    9) Ease of maintenance
    10) Manufacturer`s warranty

Each characteristic will carry a different weight or numeric value of importance to each end user of a coating for their vehicle. But at least it gives some relevance to evaluating a coating.
    My question and I am sure other Autopians will ask is:
    Which coating do you like best and why??
    Your last question is a topic for debate. I could tell you I did not like Gyeon Syncro yet I am giving it another shot. Perhaps I will change my mind.

For 22ple I jumped right into VX Pro2 and I was underwhelmed by it as well. So I am giving HPC and Insanity a go to see if their brand is worth investing in. I will say their wheel coating is impressive.

Gyeon CanCoat is impressive and I would not hesitate to recommend it or even use it again. It is quite versatile.

At this moment if you were to ask me which coating I prefer I would say cquartz. All three coatings have been strong performers for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    Looking forward to the results as well. I’ve never known 22ple products to be real slick. I had to put C2v3 over Pro 1 because the customer wasn’t happy with the grabby feel it had. It was still extremely hydrophobic though. I’ve always liked the 22ple products, especially their ease of application in hot climates.
    I agree with their ease of application. I was underwhelmed by Vx Pro2 as I mentioned. I topped it with their VS1 spray sealant and it was better. I hope they got insanity right. The reps on social media sure made it sound like it was going to be the slickest coating of all time. Not even close. I do agree it does not feel like VX Pro2 which was really tacky. But there is a subtle difference from HPC and Insanity in the slickness department.

Lets see how SPS performs against all the quartz based coatings.
    Likes Stokdgs, Coatings=crack, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

So many great things going on in this test. It`s a daily driver, not just a hood living outside. Pro vs Prosumer, and Lite vs them all as well. Just the right amount of contenders with a decent section size and no toppers to hide behind...

Looking forward to updates, thanks for all the effort put into it.
    Likes The Guz, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

You are a mad man... nicely done
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards
    Likes The Guz, trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gorram View Post
    So many great things going on in this test. It`s a daily driver, not just a hood living outside. Pro vs Prosumer, and Lite vs them all as well. Just the right amount of contenders with a decent section size and no toppers to hide behind...

Looking forward to updates, thanks for all the effort put into it.
    Just to add this car lives outside 24/7 unless I am polishing or decide to drive the Camaro. It even sits outside at work. I am rooting for one of these lite coatings to keep up with some of the proven coatings and even the pro coatings.

I had to get my point across about no toppers. Some people are fixated on them and believe they are required when they are not.

Quote Originally Posted by atgonzales View Post
    You are a mad man... nicely done
    Haha I was thinking why am I doing this when I was in the middle of applying them.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, SWETM liked this post

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information