Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2020 Ceramic Coating 1 Year Test

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    This is why I think spray coatings are over hyped and overrated. If anything they are more of a glorified spray wax. Just my opinion as no spray coating will ever compete with a true coating.

I wouldn’t worry to much about the coating. It’s not blended by Adams. B&B blending is the blender. They are the blenders for Jade Puris coatings.
    A guy on the Adam`s forums was saying he gets 9 months out of the ceramic boost and 3-4 months from the ceramic waterless. I don`t like to call people liars, but but I don`t see either being possible. Especially with you seeing the spray coating starting to poop out after only the first wash. If that`s the case Ceramic Boost`s a whole lot cheaper and might be a better way to go. I wouldn`t expect a year from a spray coating, but 6 months would be nice.

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to add my update here.

2 month update after some rain. Fast forward to 2:53 to see updates.

Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes DetailZeus, dwaleke liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I recorded this on April 29. 2020. At that point it had been 3 months. A majority of the coatings at this point are doing pretty well. What is interesting is that Gyeon Mohs has started to bead better the longer it cured. The 6 month update is right around the corner.

Thanks Coleroad thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by quebert View Post
    A guy on the Adam`s forums was saying he gets 9 months out of the ceramic boost and 3-4 months from the ceramic waterless. I don`t like to call people liars, but but I don`t see either being possible. Especially with you seeing the spray coating starting to poop out after only the first wash. If that`s the case Ceramic Boost`s a whole lot cheaper and might be a better way to go. I wouldn`t expect a year from a spray coating, but 6 months would be nice.

i can get 2-3 months out of sovereign on my camaro, and that`s the truth. Now the rest of the story. It sees rather low miles. It spends 98% of its life in the garage. Just saying there`s probably more to his story then.
    Making someone else happy, is one of the best feelings.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 7 month update on the coatings. There has been a dramatic decrease in hydrophobic behavior on some of the coatings.

These coatings were heavily beat up during the 4th of july. The car sat outside with the illegal fireworks from the neighbor landing all over it. It sat on the car for a couple days before I washed it. This stained many of the coatings, although they were already water spotted.

Goes to show that lab claims are different than real world use.

Here is some text information on the coatings.

1. SPSGraphene – Has lost its hydrophobic behavior. Starting to sheet slow. I will probably call it done soon.
    2. Gyeon Syncro – Surprisingly this has help up better this go around. It is still beading and sheeting at a good rate. The first time I used it, Skin was about done during this time frame.
    3. CquartzTiO2 – This looks to be a coating application error so this has been rules out.
    4. Adams UV Paint Coating – Has lost its hydrophobic behavior. Starting to sheet slow. I will probably call it done soon.
    5. Jade Ice – Has lost its hydrophobic behavior. Starting to sheet slow. I will probably call it done soon.
    6. Drexler Ceramic(Base Coat + Top Coat)– This is similar to TiO2 in an application error so ruling this one out as a competitor.
    7. Shine Supply Beadlock Pro - This is a nice surprise. Has retained its performance rather well. Sheeting and beading nicely.
    8. Jade Quartz – Started to show signs of losing it`s hydrophobic behavior.
    9. Adams Spray UV Coating - Failed within 3 months. Nothing noticeable on the surface at 7 months.
    10. 22ple Insanity – Brand new for 2020 and hyped by 22ple as being their best coating. It is surprisingly how poor it has held up. I will probably call it done soon.
    11. 22ple HPC - Surprised at how poorly this is also performing. I will probably call it done soon.
    12. Gyeon Mohs –The water behavior got better as it cured. Hanging in there towards the top of the list.
    13. IGL Quartz+ - Has lost its hydrophobic behavior. Starting to sheet slow. I will probably call it done soon.
    14. Cquartz Lite - Has held up nicely up to this point at 7 months.
    15. Gyeon CanCoat - Still hanging in at 7 month. Lost some of its hydrophobic performance.
    16. Cquartz UK 3.0 - Has been haning in there as well. Fast water sheeting. Not the tightest water beading.
    17. Drexler Ceramic Base Coat – Like Beadlock this has been a surprise in its performance.

Thanks kevk, BudgetPlan1, roscopervis thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quite interesting...Gyeon on the upswing, 22ple dropping and perhaps the takeaway is `Coating Lite` every 6 months is optimal.

2020 Ceramic Coating 1 Year Test

Nicely done...!
    Likes tom p., The Guz, atbalfour liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again for taking the time to update this. It is VERY good information!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Incredibly surprising results, Guz.

Well played.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting results. You’re the man for doing it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1;2177080 perhaps the takeaway is `Coating Lite` every 6 months is optimal.

[emoji33

Nicely done...!
    Perhaps this is the way to go. Decon 6 months in, reapply and move on.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It certainly is dis-heartening to see how short-lived these products are turning out to be. I hope the "pro" products display (vastly) superior longevity.

I`ve been eyeing Cquartz Lite for a while. I think I need to re-assess my vision of car care.

Guz, thanks for continuing to support the community with projects like this.
    Cars: bringing people together
    Likes John U liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if a strong strong wash, decon/clay might rejuvenate some of these products? It might not, but it could be surface stuff sticking on the surface killing the water tension. Might be interesting to see?

EDIT - just got to the end of the video and you talk about claying. Ignore me!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Perhaps this is the way to go. Decon 6 months in, reapply and move on.
    The last 4 years of my automotive life have all been for naught! I shoulda saved all of the receipts!

22ple HPC was never extraordinary in the hydrophobics dept after a bit of time yet always looked clean and acceptably shiny. Maybe coatings actually do better once they lose their beading characteristics and resort to more of a sheeting tendency? Mohs for me was always less of a monster bead-er yet also always looked shiny if not glossy and a year after application a bird bomb left out in the Summer sun came off w/ no staining or residual marking.

Syncro is a pleasant surprise, such a bummer after a few months when I used it and it became totally Mohs-like and the Beadlock Pro is now a bit intriguing.

Eh, likely all irrelevant now that Atomic Graphene is poised to rule the world...or not.

So where do you go from here, anything in the works?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom p. View Post
    It certainly is dis-heartening to see how short-lived these products are turning out to be. I hope the "pro" products display (vastly) superior longevity.

I`ve been eyeing Cquartz Lite for a while. I think I need to re-assess my vision of car care.

Guz, thanks for continuing to support the community with projects like this.
    Keep in mind this thread is not gospel on me telling everyone which is the "best" coating to use. It is more capturing how they are holding up in my particular environment. It will come down to each person to make the decision on which coating to go with. If you have something you want to try then go for it. Only you can determine if that product will perform well for you. In your case give Lite a try. We can see the big names are holding up pretty well.

It also does not matter that much with everybody topping their coating.

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    The last 4 years of my automotive life have all been for naught! I shoulda saved all of the receipts!

22ple HPC was never extraordinary in the hydrophobics dept after a bit of time yet always looked clean and acceptably shiny. Maybe coatings actually do better once they lose their beading characteristics and resort to more of a sheeting tendency? Mohs for me was always less of a monster bead-er yet also always looked shiny if not glossy and a year after application a bird bomb left out in the Summer sun came off w/ no staining or residual marking.

Syncro is a pleasant surprise, such a bummer after a few months when I used it and it became totally Mohs-like and the Beadlock Pro is now a bit intriguing.

Eh, likely all irrelevant now that Atomic Graphene is poised to rule the world...or not.

So where do you go from here, anything in the works?
    Atomic Graphene lol. I don`t have anything in the works at the moment. I will let it ride for a few more months and figure out what to do next. Do I do another round of different coatings or not. I am not sure at this point.
    Likes acuRAS82, BudgetPlan1, tom p., atbalfour liked this post
    Thanks tom p. thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Any updates? If you still have any Cquartz Lite, any issues with the shelf life? I saw that Loach’s bottle solidified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information