Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2020 Ceramic Coating 1 Year Test

I like seeing how the "UN"treated tape lines compete on coating comparisions tests like this once they are all determined "finished".
    Does that area of paint look any worse (or better)??

Thank you for taking the time and bearing the expense. This should be fun!

Post Thanks / Like

This is gonna be great to watch, specifically:

22ple Insanity - While I have had great success with 22ple HPC, the VXPRO2 I tried last year was a major disappointment. This company continues to puzzle me, some really great stuff but the mfg is always a bit, uh...`uneven`. When the Finitura came out, a lot of fanfare before release but never much mention afterwards; mfg claims of "...according to 22ple, Finitura will improve scratch resistance on glass coatings by over 500%. " seemed a little bit sensational. When i first contacted them regarding application they said spray on towel to apply, wait between 5 and 20 minutes to remove. Problem was, bottle came in squeeze-top format, no spray. So you don`t even know how your product is packaged? Hopefully Insantity is more like HPC than VXPRO2.

Gyeon Syncro - Much like Guz, I was really impressed with this...for the first 3 months. It lost the great hydrophobic behavior quite quickly and then essentially acted like Mohs alone. If this stuff had the legs to last, would be a killer product.

IGL Quartz+ - Will be very interested to see if it lives up to the "IGL is the greatest stuff in the world..." hype that its somewhat rabid followers always claim it is. I found the `one tier down` IGL Quartz to be relatively un-sensational.

Cquartz Lite - This will be very good to see if it can make 12 months+; quite handy if it does

Jade Ice & Jade Quartz - From what I`ve read, opinions vary greatly on Jade; some love, some `not so much love`. Finally the truth will be known?

Thanks for doing this Guz!
    Likes The Guz, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks The Guz thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Following along. Come spring I’d like to try out a coating. I will be watching the “lite” type as that will probably be my first try at it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, as always, for your effort and experiences, The Guz.
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Guz: First, a big thank you for tackling this big experiment. Second: This is an excellent test and format. I appreciate the time/effort/skill/etc that this took to get just right...which it is.

I am subscribed to see results and any surprises!

Thanks again, you are truly an asset to this online community!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Likes Coatings=crack, The Guz, SWETM, DetailZeus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

2020 Ceramic Coating 1 Year Test

Guz,

Interested as why you dont like to top? Not questioning your expertise as i feel with most you are sacrificing performance to protect your protection.

Just with Overcoat and Cosmic i saw no loss of performance and guessing it would help with durability.

Respect your opinions and just want to know how you came up with this one.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

shout out to Scott from Perfection Correction! - https://www.youtube.com/user/shibbeler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Guz,

Interested as why you dont like to top? Not questioning your expertise as i feel with most you are sacrificing performance to protect your protection.

Just with Overcoat and Cosmic i saw no loss of performance and guessing it would help with durability.

Respect your opinions and just want to know how you came up with this one.

Thanks

1. A topper does not come close to the performance of a base coating when it comes to all the benefits of a coating. One could say a topper clogs the coating and masks the coatings true performance.

2. Toppers are not required but rather recommended. See my next comment. But I would not invest my time or money on a coating that needed to be topped. That is too much maintenance and not a good coating in my opinion. If a coating is so good and touted to be that great by whatever manufacturer then it can survive on its own with just normal washing.

3. The "maintenance" products are a cash generating business for these various companies. This may come off as a wild theory but back in the day many kept asking can I wax or put this and that over a coating. This was seen and then came the maintenance products. These companies are not blind to come out with something that generates cash flow. Look at how saturated the market has become with silica infused products. Also look at how many people have fallen into the mindset that one must be used or the coating is going to fail prematurely. A coating will eventually fail.

4. We have come full circle by taking the idea of a quick detailer and spray wax for so called maintaining a wax or sealant by putting SiO2 in it and having them used for a coating. Over time these toppers will take over just like a spray wax does when using it over a sealant or wax. So does it help with durability? I would venture to say it gives us the warm and fuzzy feeling knowing that something is put on the surface to give us that impression. Just like the concept of a spray wax.

Now I am not saying not to use one. That is all personal preference. Some people like having that feeling that something was accomplished by touching the paint and having that slick feeling. It takes one back to the days of wax and feeling how silky smooth the paint is. For some it is therapeutic.

I typed this kind of fast so I hope it makes sense. If something else comes to mind I will add it in.

Quote Originally Posted by bodidly22 View Post
    shout out to Scott from Perfection Correction! - https://www.youtube.com/user/shibbeler
    I am sure Scott doesn`t come on the forums.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Thanks Coatings=crack, BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Really cool test on a moving test panel. Lot of time and effort thanks to do this showdown

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting to see how they react to dew.

Thanks roscopervis thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Cool pictures of the dew! And it`s showing a real difference between the behavior from them. Will be fun to see the beading and sheeting from them and it`s going to be easy to see the difference between them in the performance and longevity from them too I think. Nice testing Guz!

What`s going on with Gyeon Mohs? Has the dew been sheeting off or is it standing on the paint?

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for doing all this work and planning, its appreciated. I am looking forward to your results.

Post Thanks / Like

Guz:
    Would any of the coatings that end up being "tacky" when cured benefit from being cured with an infra-red light rather than ambient-air cured? Most hobbyist do not have such IR lighting for curing. It may become one of those detailing equipment items that goes from nice-to-have to an absolute necessity to get the most out of some coatings. Just asking, since I know NOTHING about coatings.
    "Tacky", I assume, is based on your tactile-touch or feel evaluation or are you dragging a "grabby" micro-fiber over the coating and feeling the resistance or drag it produces over the coating?

Your photos of applicators also begs to ask: Are their specific microfiber or foam type applicators to be used for each manufacturer`s coating and are their specific microfiber cloths used for wipe-off with each manufacturer`s coating?? I was going to start a separate thread topic for this very question, but you have used a number of popular coatings in this test that are relevant for this question.

I am hoping BudgetPlan1 will chime in, as his extensive coating topic has taken on a life of its own. See:
    Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Cool pictures of the dew! And it`s showing a real difference between the behavior from them. Will be fun to see the beading and sheeting from them and it`s going to be easy to see the difference between them in the performance and longevity from them too I think. Nice testing Guz!

What`s going on with Gyeon Mohs? Has the dew been sheeting off or is it standing on the paint?

/ Tony
    The surface is rather cold with a little dew that there is no real signs of sheeting from any product. It is not wet enough for the water to start being repelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Guz:
    Would any of the coatings that end up being "tacky" when cured benefit from being cured with an infra-red light rather than ambient-air cured? Most hobbyist do not have such IR lighting for curing. It may become one of those detailing equipment items that goes from nice-to-have to an absolute necessity to get the most out of some coatings. Just asking, since I know NOTHING about coatings.
    "Tacky", I assume, is based on your tactile-touch or feel evaluation or are you dragging a "grabby" micro-fiber over the coating and feeling the resistance or drag it produces over the coating?

Your photos of applicators also begs to ask: Are their specific microfiber or foam type applicators to be used for each manufacturer`s coating and are their specific microfiber cloths used for wipe-off with each manufacturer`s coating?? I was going to start a separate thread topic for this very question, but you have used a number of popular coatings in this test that are relevant for this question.

I am hoping BudgetPlan1 will chime in, as his extensive coating topic has taken on a life of its own. See:
    Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...
    The light will have not effect. The tacky sensation is typical of coatings.

Suede applicators have become the typical applicator for coatings. Some have used microfiber applicators to apply a traditional product but this type of applicator will absorb a little more product. Applicators like the autofiber coating saver applicators are the way to go in my opinion for any type of coating or coating lite. I use suede`s for tests like this because it is cheaper than using an autofiber applicator.

As far as towels, low lap is the way to go with coatings. I tend to use the edgeless 300`s from the rag company. I have also used their pearl towel which works well as the initial wipe towel. Plush towels are not really needed for coatings.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Coatings=crack, Lonnie, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Suede applicators have become the typical applicator for coatings. Some have used microfiber applicators to apply a traditional product but this type of applicator will absorb a little more product. Applicators like the autofiber coating saver applicators are the way to go in my opinion for any type of coating or coating lite. I use suede`s for tests like this because it is cheaper than using an autofiber applicator.

As far as towels, low lap is the way to go with coatings. I tend to use the edgeless 300`s from the rag company. I have also used their pearl towel which works well as the initial wipe towel. Plush towels are not really needed for coatings.
    That pretty well sums it up!
    Likes Coatings=crack, The Guz liked this post

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information