Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wheel Coating Water Behavior Discussion

I put this together to show the water behavior of some of the wheel coatings I have on hand. It was really based on my own curiosity. Hopefully it helps others understand the water behavior of some that are commonly used, but also to start a discussion of other user experiences.

From my experience, not all wheel coatings are created equal. Some perform better than others in the long term.

The test panel was prepped with 303 Step 2 polish and prep wiped with American Global Stripper.

I have used Gyeon Rim and Pinnacle Black Label Wheel Coating as well but I gave those away to other Autopian forum members. With that said here are the candidates.

Products:

Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour
    CarPro DLUX
    22ple VM1
    Adams UV Ceramic Wheel Coating
    Drexler Ceramic Wheel Coat

Often the following questions come up, What is the best wheel coating? What wheel coating should I get? Etc., etc..

Most of the time it is going to come down to other user experiences as each individual has a different experience with essentially any coating.

Before I continue, I will say that one doesn’t need a wheel specific coating for a daily driver or even a garage/show car. Go ahead and use the same coating that is used on the paint. In most cases this works just fine and in some cases a paint coating outperforms a dedicated wheel coating.

The benefit of a wheel coating is that they are rated for higher temperatures. With that said for a daily driver one will not approach those high temperatures thus my comment about just using the same paint coating on the wheels as on the paint. For those that do some sort of track driving, then a wheel coating makes sense as the wheels and calipers see higher temperatures and in general more abuse.

Characteristics of each coating.

GTechniq C5:

Resistant to temperatures up to 570 degrees F
    A single application lasts up to 1 year
    Repels dirt and break dust from wheels
    Can be used on painted wheels, chrome, clear coated aluminum and stainless steel items (wheels, bumpers, engine parts, etc)

CarPro DLUX:

Resistant to temperature up to 800 degrees F
    Lasts up to 2 years
    Can be used on Plastic Trim, Rubber Trim, Headlights, Fog lights, Tail Lights, Wheels (painted, chrome, matte/satin, clear coated aluminum,etc), Metal Trim, Exhaust tips, Plastic Wheel Wells
    No time frame between layers for wheels. Probably similar to their paint coatings of 45-60 minutes.

22ple VM1:

Resistant to temperature up to 700 degrees F
    Lasts up to 3-5 years
    Will protect against road grime and brake dust build up
    Can be used on Wheels (painted, chrome, matte/satin, clear coated aluminum, etc), exhaust tips, metal trim and more
    Recommended 2-3 layers, Applied 4-6 hours apart

Adams UV Ceramic Wheel Coating:

Patent Pending UV tracing Technology
    9H, 6+ years protection
    Can be used on painted, powder coated, matte/satin, clear coated and anodized wheel surfaces
    Will hold up against brake dust, road salt, higher heat elements and more.
    1-2 hours between layers

Drexler Ceramic Wheel Coat:

Protects wheels, calipers against brake dust and dirt
    Lasts up to 1-2 years
    Recommend 2 layers, 1-2 hours between coats

Beading shots of each products

GTechinq C5

CarPro DLUX

22ple VM1

Adams UV Ceramic Wheel Coating

Drexler Ceramic Wheel Coat

Beading doesn’t mean a whole lot when it comes to wheels. Nor does slickness. Both will be a byproduct of changing the surface tension. We often use beading as a sign that the product is still on the surface.

Based on beading the ranking would be

1. Adams UV Wheel
    2. CarPro DLUX
    3. 22ple VM1
    4. GTechnic C5/Drexler Ceramic

Adams clearly has the tightest water beading. CarPro DLUX has the similar water beading to their paint coatings.

Based on slickness the ranking would be

1. Adams UV Wheel
    2. Drexler
    3. 22ple VM1
    4. CarPro DLUX
    5. Gtechniq C5

22ple and Drexler are very close in terms of slickness. Drexler gets the edge for second place.

Ease of application

1. Adams UV Wheel
    2. Gtechniq C5
    3. Drexler
    4. 22ple VM1
    5. CarPro DLUX

We are splitting hairs here with the top 4. I could easily swap these out for one another. I rated 22ple lower due to it needing 4-6 hours between layers even with its generous 3-5 minute flash time window. DLUX is the tackiest one to wipe off and thus is at the bottom even though it is almost wipe on wipe off.

Adams takes the top spot for being able to visually see where the product has been applied to using the UV light.

Interesting enough C5 was the slickest upon removal, similar to Crystal Serum Light and Exo yet it was the least slickest once it cured.

Based on sheeting the ranking would be

1. Gtechniq C5
    2. Drexler
    3. 22ple VM1
    4. CarPro DLUX
    5. Adams UV Wheel

You are probably asking why did I rank them in this order. Well I ranked them in this order based on how much water was left behind on the surface and whether or not the coating tended to bead or sheet as soon as the water hit the coated surface.

If one is looking for a sheeting type coating then C5 would be the clear winner. It left the least amount of water on the surface being more hydrophilic.

22ple VM1 is in the middle. Not quite hydrophilic like GTechniq C5 and not as hydrophobic as Adams and CarPro.

Drexler Ceramic Wheel Coat is similar to Gtechniq C5 in its application, water beading and sheeting. Similar to the Drexler Ceramic Base Coat in their paint coating which resembles Crystal Serum Light in application and water behavior

Based on price

1. CarPro DLUX – 30ml for $39.99 equates to $1.33/ml
    2. Drexler Ceramic – 20ml for $28.90 equates to $1.45/ml
    3. Adams UV Wheel – 50ml for $80 equates to $1.6/ml
    4. Gtechniq C5 – 30ml for $49.99 equates to $1.67/ml
    5. 22ple VM1 - 30ml for $109.99 equates to $3.67/ml

DLUX gets the top spot on overall price per ml. It is also the most versatile coating as it can be used on wheels, plastics, trim, metal rubber, etc.

22ple VM1 has the highest cost per ml. Their products are generally priced higher than other brands and in most cases the average user is turned off by the price. But from my experience, 22ple VM1 has the overall best performance (durability, self cleaning) between my experience with C5 and DLUX. This could always change if I find another wheel coating that rivals 22ple. So for me the performance offsets the cost.

Based on durability. I can not comment on the overall performance of Adams or Drexler. My experience with those products are pending as they are new to me. I will provide feedback after a year of testing them.

1. 22ple VM1 - After 12 months its hydrophobic properties are still present. Still the best self cleaning up to this time frame. Two layers applied.
    2. CarPro DLUX - After about 12 months it lost its hydrophobic properties and turned to sheeting. Self cleaning degraded. One layer applied
    3. Gtechniq C5 - After about 10-11 months it lost its hydrophobic properties and turned to sheeting. Self cleaning degraded. One layer applied
    4. Gyeon Rim - After about 8-9 months it lost its hydrophobic properties and turned to sheeting. Self cleaning degraded. One layer applied.

For those interested in seeing the slickness and water behavior then feel free to watch the videos.

Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes GearHead_1, Coleroad, Loach, Stokdgs, SWETM and 5 others liked this post
    Thanks GearHead_1, Loach, Stokdgs, SWETM, Diner and 3 others thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wheel Coating Water Behavior Discussion

Heck yeah, that’s a great review. I probably should break down and give Adams a try.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes The Guz, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks The Guz thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Best review of 2019 hands down. Great job Mike !!!
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing
    Likes The Guz, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nicely done, Guz always highly professional
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review.It does answer some of my curiosity on this subject.I would have liked to seen Kamakazie stance in the group.You saved me on the 22PLE.I do like there coatings HPC so I doubt I will try there wheel coating.I respect your thoughts and inputs.I do like Dlux but stinks to high heaven and tacky as hell to work with.But does work well on wheels and very nice restoring plastic trim.But the stance I am already in on just haven’t used it yet.Pretty sure Budget will chime in on this one.Hopefully have a descent review with it.With what you have already posted.Again Thank You for your time
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, great review touching on all those different aspects, very cool!

Adam`s claim of 6 years seems interesting but in conjunction w the other top rankings it got in other areas, Adam`s might be on to something really good with their recent releases?

Guess i never noticed price of 22ple...that`s pretty far up the cost ladder. And they really seem to like long intervals between layers of their products...curious.

Love stuff like this, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    Heck yeah, that’s a great review. I probably should break down and give Adams a try.
    Thanks. I think Adams is onto something with their coatings. They have invested in getting their ceramic line to compete with the big boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    Best review of 2019 hands down. Great job Mike !!!
    Wow thanks Pat. I am glad you enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by atgonzales View Post
    Nicely done, Guz always highly professional
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by T-man143 View Post
    Thanks for the review.It does answer some of my curiosity on this subject.I would have liked to seen Kamakazie stance in the group.You saved me on the 22PLE.I do like there coatings HPC so I doubt I will try there wheel coating.I respect your thoughts and inputs.I do like Dlux but stinks to high heaven and tacky as hell to work with.But does work well on wheels and very nice restoring plastic trim.But the stance I am already in on just haven’t used it yet.Pretty sure Budget will chime in on this one.Hopefully have a descent review with it.With what you have already posted.Again Thank You for your time
    If you want to donate some stance I will be more than willing to add a supplemental video on it . I have not looked into kamakazie coatings and I don`t know if I ever will. Anyway you use what you have, I am not going to hold it against you if you don`t prefer a certain brand. Everyone has their particular favorites. It would be pretty boring if everyone used the same stuff.

I have heard stance does not perform well with matte/satin wheels.

Just looking at the price per ml for stance it comes out to $3.33/ml which would put it close to 22ple. With a 25% off discount, it brings the cost down to $2.75/ml for 22ple. It would be the best time to purchase it. It would be expensive to use as a professional but as I mentioned the performance outweighs the cost. even at full price.

Keep us updated on stance.

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Wow, great review touching on all those different aspects, very cool!

Adam`s claim of 6 years seems interesting but in conjunction w the other top rankings it got in other areas, Adam`s might be on to something really good with their recent releases?

Guess i never noticed price of 22ple...that`s pretty far up the cost ladder. And they really seem to like long intervals between layers of their products...curious.

Love stuff like this, thanks!
    Thanks. Adams has invested in their coatings and ceramic technology. They want to compete with the big boys and if they don`t watch out, Adams will sneak by them and steal sales from them. Durability is going to be the key with their coatings whether or not it can compete with the established brands. They have already proven that they have a good idea with the UV light.

You are right that is one draw back to 22ple. I am waiting to hear back from them on what the wait time is for Insanity to apply a second layer. Their ease of use and generous flash time is nice. But sometimes we just want things to be done and move on.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Marine Clerk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review. Not one so detailed out about rim coating. Thanks.

I’ve got 15 ml of C5. Interesting to see over the next year how Adam’s performs. Maybe that or 22ple depending on your long term test

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

WOW that`s how a comparison and review is done Guz!

Yeah the water sheeting is something I want more from a wheel coating. But that can also be degrading the self cleaning ability from it. So a good mix and real world use gets us much valueble information about the performance. I tried the Armor All Wheel Shield I think it`s called on the inside of the wheel barrels. Stayed pretty clean and was easy to wash with a Wheel Woolies 45 degree brush. Lasted through almost the whole summer season for me. It may have gotten a couple of touch up with Sonax Spray and Seal that I used to top it up with a couple of times. The faces had PA Supersport Wheel Coating and it`s not a full blown ceramic coating but very easy to use it as with all PA products. My wheels are so trashed when I bought the car so a wheel coating has not been on the radar for me to use. If I get or buy wheels in better shape I will definitely apply a wheel coating on them. Gtechnic Wheel Armor C5 I have my eyes on as they seems to be performing great and durable. Or if I would get a full blown ceramic coating to the paint and get leftover product I might go with that.

Thanks for shareing your experience with us Mike!

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

What a way to end 2019 with a review/test like that! Incredible job my man, very well done. Thanks for posting!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

The Guz- Thanks for the great review. Now I`m not so sorry that I bought the 22ple VM1 after all, might oughta use it on something.

One thing though...(at the risk of being a pedantic [jerk])..is this a typo?

22ple VM1 is in the middle. Not quite hydrophilic like GTechniq C5 and not as hydrophobic as Adams and CarPro.
    Are philic/phobic switched or am I missing something?

Post Thanks / Like

Adam`s stuff`s almost always cheaper on Amazon, well except when it`s 20% on Adam`s which they seem to run a lot. $64 right now for their wheel coating, not bad at all. I`m tapped out $$$ wise though from buying the glass cleaner and 5 CarPro towels The Guz told me to buy. Err, I mean I decided to buy after reading his review.

I need to stop opening his threads lol.

My price point`s kinda moot I guess as you can almost always find a couple detailing sites online having sales for no reason.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Nice review. Not one so detailed out about rim coating. Thanks.

I’ve got 15 ml of C5. Interesting to see over the next year how Adam’s performs. Maybe that or 22ple depending on your long term test

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks. I actually have the application video that I didn`t put up. It is about a 15-16 min video and I am not sure if anyone would want to see the application of each coating. You have plenty in that 15ml bottle to apply 2 layers to each wheel. A little goes a long way. Apply the rest to your exhaust tips as well or calipers.

I am interested to see how Adams fairs. I noticed on the test section that it appeared thicker than the rest. It just had a different color to it after I applied it that was noticeable under the garage lights.

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    WOW that`s how a comparison and review is done Guz!

Yeah the water sheeting is something I want more from a wheel coating. But that can also be degrading the self cleaning ability from it. So a good mix and real world use gets us much valueble information about the performance. I tried the Armor All Wheel Shield I think it`s called on the inside of the wheel barrels. Stayed pretty clean and was easy to wash with a Wheel Woolies 45 degree brush. Lasted through almost the whole summer season for me. It may have gotten a couple of touch up with Sonax Spray and Seal that I used to top it up with a couple of times. The faces had PA Supersport Wheel Coating and it`s not a full blown ceramic coating but very easy to use it as with all PA products. My wheels are so trashed when I bought the car so a wheel coating has not been on the radar for me to use. If I get or buy wheels in better shape I will definitely apply a wheel coating on them. Gtechnic Wheel Armor C5 I have my eyes on as they seems to be performing great and durable. Or if I would get a full blown ceramic coating to the paint and get leftover product I might go with that.

Thanks for shareing your experience with us Mike!

/ Tony
    Thanks Tony. I have C5 on my other car and the sheeting is noticeable. On my daily I topped C5 with Exo V3 and that combo was solid at 2 years. One thing i do regret is using C2v3 on my daily driver. Caused some water spotting on one wheel.

You will also be fine using a dedicated paint coating. Cquartz UK does a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    The Guz- Thanks for the great review. Now I`m not so sorry that I bought the 22ple VM1 after all, might oughta use it on something.

One thing though...(at the risk of being a pedantic [jerk])..is this a typo?

Are philic/phobic switched or am I missing something?
    Thanks. It is not a typo. C5 is the most hydrophillic coating of the bunch with Adams and CarPro being on the more hydrophobic side. 22ple is in the middle as it does tend sheet (become hydrophillic to a degree) when it is flooded compared to Adams or CarPro. It is not as hydrophobic as Adams or CarPro in terms of of the shape of the water beads. The contact angle is less than these two just based on the photos I posted.

I honestly do not know why you have not used the 22ple wheel coating instead of going back and forth on it. It is a great wheel coating.

Quote Originally Posted by quebert View Post
    Adam`s stuff`s almost always cheaper on Amazon, well except when it`s 20% on Adam`s which they seem to run a lot. $64 right now for their wheel coating, not bad at all. I`m tapped out $$$ wise though from buying the glass cleaner and 5 CarPro towels The Guz told me to buy. Err, I mean I decided to buy after reading his review.

I need to stop opening his threads lol.

My price point`s kinda moot I guess as you can almost always find a couple detailing sites online having sales for no reason.
    FYI the Adams store will match the online discounts. I was there today for the cars & coffee event.

I also didn`t twist your arm to buy those towels haha. But I bet you are glad you bought them.
    Likes SWETM, Stokdgs, Marine Clerk liked this post
    Thanks SWETM thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Really cool

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Thanks. It is not a typo. C5 is the most hydrophillic coating of the bunch with Adams and CarPro being on the more hydrophobic side. 22ple is in the middle as it does tend sheet (become hydrophillic to a degree) when it is flooded compared to Adams or CarPro. It is not as hydrophobic as Adams or CarPro in terms of of the shape of the water beads. The contact angle is less than these two just based on the photos I posted.
    Eh, I don`t want to belabor it, but I guess I got confused. I thought that "the less water left on the surface, the more hydrophobic it was." Anyhow...sorry I assumed you erred (might`ve known better), another case of somebody posting without knowing what he`s talking about

I honestly do not know why you have not used the 22ple wheel coating instead of going back and forth on it. It is a great wheel coating.
    The oe Tahoe wheels I`d use it on took me over four hours to coat with OptiCoat (one coat, second went a little faster, not counting the prep..which will be much more involved now because I have to polish off what`s left of the Opticoat instead of doing bare wheels), and that was before my vision`s new normal. The wheels I could do quicker simply don`t need it as a few minutes LSPing is sufficient for a year`s use.

Coating the varous bits and fasteners, and then reassembling everything without messing that up? Huge PIA.

Heh heh, if you were my nextdoor neighbor we`d work out something where you could do it for me in exchange for some job that *you* hate

Eh, just me and my particular wheels/situation. I figure "why spend HOURS instead of minutes if I discern any additional benefit?" And I really *didn`t* discern any benefit other than better durability; coating the Tahoe`s wheels the last time was a time-waster that I still regret. Guess that`s why I go on about it so much (sorry, folks ), feeling that I wasted hours of my time is something I simply *HATE*. I`m getting kinda fanatical about not doing that.

Maybe I`ll end up using it on some of those "easier" wheels after all, just so it doesn`t go bad on me...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information