Post Thanks / Like

Anyone here use Cerakote Trim Coat?

Never heard of this product until today, but I ran across a video on Youtube which came up in my recommended video after I`d Googling looking for a trim coating to add to my business. If the claims are legit it looks to be a crazy good deal. The YT videos I found they all like it, I don`t know any of them besides Brian from Apex. His recommendations are almost always spot on. Just wondering if any Autopia`er has used it yet and has some feedback. It`s definitely a lot lot cheaper than the other Ceramic trim coating stuff I was looking at.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone here use Cerakote Trim Coat?

Quote Originally Posted by quebert View Post
    Never heard of this product until today, but I ran across a video on Youtube which came up in my recommended video after I`d Googling looking for a trim coating to add to my business. If the claims are legit it looks to be a crazy good deal. The YT videos I found they all like it, I don`t know any of them besides Brian from Apex. His recommendations are almost always spot on. Just wondering if any Autopia`er has used it yet and has some feedback. It`s definitely a lot lot cheaper than the other Ceramic trim coating stuff I was looking at.
    Literally just used it for the first time. The directions are super simple, so is application. However, I`d like to add my comments:

1. Directions say to wash trim with Dawn dishsoap... In actuality the trim needs a deep clean with a magic eraser and some type of strong degreaser, followed up by an IPA wipe down. Prep is key.

2. There is no comment regarding the need for a respirator, so I didn`t use one. Mistake, the solvent smell lingered in my nose for a little less than 36 hours after install, during that time I couldn`t smell ANYTHING else. For context, I was outside when I applied the coating. Get a respirator that blocks out organic and inorganic vapors, etc. The one from 3M: 62023DHA1-C.

3. Tape off painted areas, you cannot buff the coating off after application, otherwise you will remove its darkening effect almost completely.

4. Creases and corners can be a little tricky to cover, make sure you have a light handy as well as your patience.

5. Coverage:
    Context: 2010 RX350, all visible exterior trim, including front engine splash panel, majority of rear diffuser, and windshield cowel, and excluding the strips under the roof rails consumed six of the ten packets.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone here use Cerakote Trim Coat?

Yes I have used it. It works well on a textured finish, not so well on a smooth finish, will leave a little streaking.

I have noticed that it needs to cure for quite a while, it is easy to scratch with a finger nail; doesn’t take that much pressure either

It leaves a pretty high gloss finish, and you will like it if that is your thing. I see the main benefit to be preventing UV discoloration of black trim, Time will tell on that. It is supposed to be guaranteed up for 200 washes.

Would not recommend it in an area that is likely to get scuffed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Thread Information