Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Is anyone still using Meguiars D300?

Probably one of my favorite compounds to use (smell, finish, wipe off, cleaning from pads), but nobody ever talks about using it? It’s downfall is it’s cutting power and occasional filling. Why don’t more people talk about it?
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!
    Likes Loach liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is anyone still using Meguiars D300?

Dave:
    Maybe you have answered your own question: The positives you`ve mentioned do not outweigh the negatives. That and the fact that their new Mirror Glaze M110 Ultra-Pro Compound is available for about the same price, so you do have some "internal" competition on similar products from the same manufacturer. Just guessing.

I do know that D301 Finishing Polish and Wax has gotten some good comments about it for an All-In-One product, even though it may not be intended as that.

Megs has so many product lines (Consumer Gold Class, Consumer Ultimate, Consumer Hybrid/Ceramic , Pro Mirror Glaze, Pro Detailer, Mirror Glaze Marine) and products that cross over into one another, it is sometimes difficult to keep them straight.
    That said, many of my detailing products are Meg`s because:
    1) It`s readily available, even over-the-counter
    2) They are relatively inexpensive or very cost-competitive compared to other car-care manufacturers
    3) They produce the results I like
    4) They have been around for a long time and their customer service about using their products is excellent

Are they cutting edge with new car-care technologies? No, not since the merger with 3M. There is a lot of car-care product competition these days, and with the advent of forums like this and internet sales of those various products from multiple manufacturers, hobbyists and professional detailers have more to choose from, which is good for us Autopians.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, I’m not a fan of M110 at all. It’s given me way too many objectionable results. Seems like they created it to improve upon the things where D300 left off (cut), but went backwards on too many other characteristics. I just love reaching for D300 when a compound is needed, but you don’t need the heavy cutting power. The smell of D300 is intoxicating. Rupes DA Coarse Blue compound smells the same and I usually reach for that when I need heavy DA cutting power.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve used an early version of M105 and to do the "M105 dance-and-song" is too much of a headache and it still dusts for me. Their Consumer Ultimate Compound at least does not have some of those negative characteristics, but it sure doesn`t cut/correct like M105.
    M105 does make a good chrome cleaner (running boards or brush tubes), though. Gotta use it some way!

Someone needs to send you some Scholl`s Concepts compounds and polishes. Not cheap, but deliver exceptional results (Ask Merlin)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I still use it on occasion, I use 301 almost every time I polish a car though.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting this thread just came up!!!

I buy it by the gallon. I love everything about it. I tend to often use it in my one step packages with foam pads.

While I agree it could use a bit more cut in certain instances, I have always been super happy with its ease of use and results as a one step type product. I know it’s not meant or designed to be used with foam but I am happy with the results. It also does what it has to do in minimal passes which saves me time!

Just cuz it isn’t the flavor of the month anymore doesn’t mean crap to me. It works and makes me money, so I’m happy with it.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

D300 was always a great performer for me paired with the DMC pads. Unfortunately, the cinnamon fragrance is just one of those scents that I never caught on with. One of the very rare circumstances where the fragrance ended up being a distraction for me, crazy as I usually prefer products that have some sort of fragrance. That`s one of the reasons why I like the Griot`s BOSS lineup of abrasives so much aside from their performance.

My last bottle of D300 stored inside also turned super watery and ended up fully separating in the bottle after a few months of sitting. One of the few times I`ve seen a polish go bad on me, I`m wondering if those style of tops they use provide a good enough seal or not. My stock of Poorboy`s Black Hole also went bad on me when I stored it in some extra bottles with that same self-cleaning style dispenser cap. My D301 and D302 were still in good shape though.
    WaxMode - Product Testing & Reviews
    Likes tonipieleanu liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I still have some and use it on occasion. I still have some of the original product (sans label) that was released to some detailers when Meguiars sent out some of the D300 and their micro fiber pads to detailers prior to the product release. That was totally "hush hush"
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing
    Likes JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I often asked myself the same question. When I first started getting into detailing it seemed everyone was talking about it and using it. Every post showcasing work done seemed to always mention D300. Then as quickly as it came about, it disappeared from discussion.

I was very early in my detailing career and wasn’t exactly doing any correction work so I never had a chance to really use it. I did buy a bottle due to the hype but ended up just pitching it after I found it broken open (the bottle itself broke). It’s not on my list of things I’d like to try really anymore either.

Post Thanks / Like

Still my go-to for compounding work. My favorite. Only reach for other compounds when I`m "messing around" with products, or when I need more cut. Oh, in some cases, when I`m doing a "brand specific" detail.

But I love me some D300. Love the scent the most.

I stopped using, for the most part, the M105, M100, and M101. Only tried 100 and 101 a bit. Couldn`t really get into them. If anyone is willing to pay for shipping, I`d send them out to them. At least half full of product (closer to 75% I think).
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Billy Jack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

JustJesus- What didn`t you like about M101? On the (extremely) rare occasions I want that level of cut, it`s simply perfect for me. But then, I (still) like M105 too (the v1.0 better than the current stuff) so maybe it`s just me....

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator- If I`m being honest....it was ME. It wasn`t so much the product itself, but the willingness to learn its characteristics. When I went to try it, it didn`t work for me like I would have expected. Some dusting, hard wipe off. Not sure what else. Then I remembered that it was intended for the European market, where they do things a bit differently with regards to polishing. If I recall, it`s smaller sections and quicker arm movement. I tried that and was rewarded with a much more pleasant experience.

But after shelving it, and sticking to my known products and some other new-to-me products, it`s been sitting on the shelf. I`m trying to make space for some other things in the garage, so I`m reducing the amount of products I`m keeping. Some people will be getting some nice bundles!

I wish I had more time and panels to use these products.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    I still have some and use it on occasion. I still have some of the original product (sans label) that was released to some detailers when Meguiars sent out some of the D300 and their micro fiber pads to detailers prior to the product release. That was totally "hush hush"
    Me too!
    Likes JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

JustJesus- Thanks for explaining. Yeah..some products just do/don`t work for some people and as I always say, I`m *not* in favor of struggling to "master" a product if something else will work fine easy-peasy.

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator: I`m glad you asked, though. I wouldn`t want someone to have the wrong impression on the product.

I understand your perspective and totally agree with you. Over the years, I`ve truly come to understand, "Accumulator-proof" - and that`s what I look for in products these days. (some exceptions, as they come up for whatever reasons)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information