Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wheel Coating Water Behavior Discussion

Q regarding Coatings for lenses: do Coatings offer superior UV protection compared to the conventional approaches that`re good at that?

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    .. I would recommend coating the trim 2-3 times a year to keep it looking good.
    That`s interesting (well, to me)...seems pretty frequent compared to Trim Sealants/etc.

Post Thanks / Like

My experiences using a ceramic coating to try to protect lenses that have been wet sanded is that they do not hold up very well.

Opti-Lens would be one of the exceptions. I think you need a urethane based protective layer on top.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    My experiences using a ceramic coating to try to protect lenses that have been wet sanded is that they do not hold up very well... I think you need a urethane based protective layer on top.
    I wouldn`t have thought a urethane necessary as even short-lived products like OCW work fine (with regard to UV resistance) as long as they`re reapplied regularly.

Post Thanks / Like

Not after you have sanded off the factory coating. Sealants don`t cut it either. Those things can add to an existing UV resistant coating, but not replace it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Q regarding Coatings for lenses: do Coatings offer superior UV protection compared to the conventional approaches that`re good at that?

That`s interesting (well, to me)...seems pretty frequent compared to Trim Sealants/etc.
    If you are asking about protecting after headlight restoration then my experience is no. No coating holds up to protect long term. Not even optimum opti-lens. Maybe it is just me but opti-lens seems to have the shortest durability.

If using it on headlights in good condition then a coating will hold up rather well.

As far as trim, frequent care care is easy car care. A trim sealant doesn`t last that long compared to a coating for trim. That is my experience. But the trim under the coating will still fade especially in higher UV conditions. So reapplication of any type of protectant to keep the trim looking good is good practice. Too many factors affect the durability of any product.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    If you are asking about protecting after headlight restoration then my experience is no. No coating holds up to protect long term. Not even optimum opti-lens. Maybe it is just me but opti-lens seems to have the shortest durability.

If using it on headlights in good condition then a coating will hold up rather well.

As far as trim, frequent care care is easy car care. A trim sealant doesn`t last that long compared to a coating for trim. That is my experience. But the trim under the coating will still fade especially in higher UV conditions. So reapplication of any type of protectant to keep the trim looking good is good practice. Too many factors affect the durability of any product.
    Just curious as when you reapply the trim coating product which ever you use. When you have used it before and maybe at 6 months want to reapply. Is a thorough cleaning enough prep before reapplication of the trim coating. With a panel wipe product wipe down before it? Or do you use any mechanical decon step? I have not used a ceramic coating on anything yet LOL. Just some SiO2 products. Have the Soft99 Coating for clear plastic surfaces to trying out on the headlights. I have been thinking more and more about trading in my car so have not wanted to use much of the long lasting coatings LOL. Will see if I find a newer car for me soon. Then it`s coating testing. When you trade in vehicals that is pretty much out of warranty then the dealerships goes by car price listing and how many mileage it`s on the car. Selling them private is such of a hazzle so I usually takes the loss when I trade in the car I have.

Post Thanks / Like

Huh, interesting...guess I`ll just thank my lucky stars that I don`t experience what others apparently do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Just curious as when you reapply the trim coating product which ever you use. When you have used it before and maybe at 6 months want to reapply. Is a thorough cleaning enough prep before reapplication of the trim coating. With a panel wipe product wipe down before it? Or do you use any mechanical decon step? I have not used a ceramic coating on anything yet LOL. Just some SiO2 products. Have the Soft99 Coating for clear plastic surfaces to trying out on the headlights. I have been thinking more and more about trading in my car so have not wanted to use much of the long lasting coatings LOL. Will see if I find a newer car for me soon. Then it`s coating testing. When you trade in vehicals that is pretty much out of warranty then the dealerships goes by car price listing and how many mileage it`s on the car. Selling them private is such of a hazzle so I usually takes the loss when I trade in the car I have.
    I just clean it with APC during the wash process. Prep wipe with a panel wipe product and reapply. Works just fine as I do it yearly in most cases.

I just did this on my brothers Equinox which was 15 months in between DLUX applications. Even topped it with Gliss V1 just to use up the last of it.

Likes SWETM liked this post
    Thanks SWETM thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Is see on the carpro USA website you can purchase 10ml bottles of some Cquartz products, one of them being the Cquartz UK. Would 10ml be enough to properly coat all 4, 17" wheels at the amount of coatings called for by Carpro?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Wheel Coating Water Behavior Discussion

Should be enough for two coats.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you

Does the 10ml come with applicator micro suede clothes and a block, or do I need to buy those separate? Do I need an app.icator block for wheels?

Post Thanks / Like

Guz have you ever used TAC systems magic plus on wheels?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Astouffer512 View Post
    Thank you

Does the 10ml come with applicator micro suede clothes and a block, or do I need to buy those separate? Do I need an app.icator block for wheels?

I am not sure. I just buy the 30ml bottles and it comes with a block and suedes in the box.

This is where I would say get some autofiber coating applicators. The smaller sizes work good for wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Astouffer512 View Post
    Guz have you ever used TAC systems magic plus on wheels?

I haven’t ventured into tac coatings.
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wheel Coating Water Behavior Discussion

Second the Autofiber savers. Get a small and flat pack and youll be set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123