Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wheel Coating Water Behavior Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Eh, I don`t want to belabor it, but I guess I got confused. I thought that "the less water left on the surface, the more hydrophobic it was." Anyhow...sorry I assumed you erred (might`ve known better), another case of somebody posting without knowing what he`s talking about

The oe Tahoe wheels I`d use it on took me over four hours to coat with OptiCoat (one coat, second went a little faster, not counting the prep..which will be much more involved now because I have to polish off what`s left of the Opticoat instead of doing bare wheels), and that was before my vision`s new normal. The wheels I could do quicker simply don`t need it as a few minutes LSPing is sufficient for a year`s use.

Coating the varous bits and fasteners, and then reassembling everything without messing that up? Huge PIA.

Heh heh, if you were my nextdoor neighbor we`d work out something where you could do it for me in exchange for some job that *you* hate

Eh, just me and my particular wheels/situation. I figure "why spend HOURS instead of minutes if I discern any additional benefit?" And I really *didn`t* discern any benefit other than better durability; coating the Tahoe`s wheels the last time was a time-waster that I still regret. Guess that`s why I go on about it so much (sorry, folks ), feeling that I wasted hours of my time is something I simply *HATE*. I`m getting kinda fanatical about not doing that.

Maybe I`ll end up using it on some of those "easier" wheels after all, just so it doesn`t go bad on me...
    No worries. Hydrophobic as Mike Phillips puts it is water fearing. Hydrophillic is where the water sticks to the surface. Yes Gtechniq C5 is hydrophillic when water contacts it but it does have hydrophobic properties to it as well to get the water off. The surface tension is changed as soon as something is applied to the surface.

Can we get someone to head over to Accumulator`s place to coat these.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Dang, Guz. Nice review. Glad you did this one.
    Likes The Guz liked this post
    Thanks The Guz thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    Dang, Guz. Nice review. Glad you did this one.
    Thanks. Glad you enjoyed the write up.

Post Thanks / Like

With how much heat breaks generate and just the excess road grim and everything a wheel deals with, I`d be impressed with C5 if it actually lasted a year. To me that sounds like a hellova run, 6 years with the Adam`s? That sounds unbelievable to me. Technologies a good thing and I often forget how quickly it moves sometimes. I remember I was a teen in 88 and I helped my dad apply NuFinish to my step moms SHO Taurus. With one of those 10" 2 handle pizza looking buffers. You only need to apply it once a year? I was certain that was going to be the best we`d ever get. Now a 1 year product`s considered a low end coating lite lol. Even with a 6 year claim I still think I`d be impressed to get 12 months out of the Adam`s stuff. I need to buy a bottle and try it. The Guz is good at making me want to buy stuff I really don`t need. My vehicle would be a good test, Autozone sold me some Carbon Fiber coated breaks a few years ago. The employee told me "absolutely zero dusting" (I didn`t ask about dusting) Of course they dust worse than any brakes I`ve ever had lol. An absolute nightmare to keep clean. And Adam`s has UV technology so I can make sure I don`t screw up the application process lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by quebert View Post
    Autozone sold me some Carbon Fiber coated breaks a few years ago. The employee told me "absolutely zero dusting" (I didn`t ask about dusting) Of course they dust worse than any brakes I`ve ever had lol.
    I believe those were carbon metallic. Carbon fiber would melt like butter. And yes the super suck at dusting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    I believe those were carbon metallic. Carbon fiber would melt like butter. And yes the super suck at dusting.

Well of course they`re not make from Carbon Fiber, even if it was suitable for brakes, which it`s not. They`d cost an arm and a leg. I`m not so sure the guy working there knew this though because he called them carbon fiber brakes a bunch of times lol. In his defense, I suppose, they do have carbon fiber in the name. I wouldn`t expect the average joe off the street to know they`re not, but it was kind of shameful he didn`t either. I bought them because a few people said for a local auto store they`re really good.

I just Googled them, and this is on AZ`s web site:

Notes: Carbon Fiber
    *Performance carbon fiber based pads for aggressive stopping *V-slot design for better performance and longer life *Nitrile weave shim technology for noise reduction *Hardware included where required by OE *Available until stock is depleted
    Brake Pad Material: Carbon Fiber

I`ll be damned they actually listed it as the material, they should be sued for misinformation lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by quebert View Post
    Well of course they`re not make from Carbon Fiber, even if it was suitable for brakes, which it`s not. They`d cost an arm and a leg. I`m not so sure the guy working there knew this though because he called them carbon fiber brakes a bunch of times lol. In his defense, I suppose, they do have carbon fiber in the name. I wouldn`t expect the average joe off the street to know they`re not, but it was kind of shameful he didn`t either. I bought them because a few people said for a local auto store they`re really good.

I just Googled them, and this is on AZ`s web site:

Notes: Carbon Fiber
    *Performance carbon fiber based pads for aggressive stopping *V-slot design for better performance and longer life *Nitrile weave shim technology for noise reduction *Hardware included where required by OE *Available until stock is depleted
    Brake Pad Material: Carbon Fiber

I`ll be damned they actually listed it as the material, they should be sued for misinformation lol.
    Actually did some late night googling and found the do make carbon ceramic brake pads. No info on how much carbon they have or why. Gimmicky for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Actually did some late night googling and found the do make carbon ceramic brake pads. No info on how much carbon they have or why. Gimmicky for sure.

Gimmicky for parts store/OTC, but OEM`s have been using Carbon Ceramic/Carbon Metallic pads for YEARS.

Post Thanks / Like

The Guz- Yeah, I don`t see how the philic/phobic are being applied to *THAT PARTICULAR* water behavior, but oh well

I might at least try the 22ple on some cad-plated suspension bits if I don`t decide to put it on some wheels. I don`t want it to go bad like my last OptiCoat so I`d better find *something* to use it on. Heh heh, I bet many here would be surprised by how much work those Tahoe wheels would be...for anybody. Infinitely worse than the BBS ones on my oldest Audi, and people usually think those are a pain.

Post Thanks / Like

I like carbon metallic pads. I assume most don`t like them because of the amount of dust they create.

Post Thanks / Like

Guz

If someone were to be applying a coating for the first time would you recommend the Dlux from CarPro or the Gtechniq. The car I would be putting it on is mainly all painted so I’d only be looking to apply it to the wheels. Not a whole lot of plastic trim on our car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Astouffer512 View Post
    Guz

If someone were to be applying a coating for the first time would you recommend the Dlux from CarPro or the Gtechniq. The car I would be putting it on is mainly all painted so I’d only be looking to apply it to the wheels. Not a whole lot of plastic trim on our car.

A 15ml bottle of C5 if it is just for wheels. If you already have a paint coating then I would say use that.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    A 15ml bottle of C5 if it is just for wheels. If you already have a paint coating then I would say use that.
    No type of coating on hand.

Is a coating for headlights and tail-lights worth spending money on?

Is there a do it all coating for glass, paint, plastic, rims?

Post Thanks / Like

Is a coating for headlights and tail-lights worth spending money on?
    Use the paint coating you plan to invest in.

Is there a do it all coating for glass, paint, plastic, rims?
    You can use a paint coating on every surface. Just be aware that wiper abrasion is going to degrade it on the front glass more than a dedicated glass coating. The other glass it does not matter as it sees no abrasion.

For trim if it is new or in new like condition and does not need any restoration the a paint coating will do fine. If it is to the point of restoration then you would want to use something like solution finish, Adams Ceramic Black Trim Restorer, Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer. Some have coated over solution finish but I did not see any benefit to just adding a trim protectant over it. Adams and PBL look to be identical products. They have black dye in them for the restoration aspect but also use ceramic technology to offer longevity. Either way I would recommend coating the trim 2-3 times a year to keep it looking good.
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this thread Guz. Happy New Year!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information