Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Water spot remover / deep cleaning product for windows

Very subjective question, but what do you all prefer as a cost effective water spot / deep cleaning product for windows?

Would Meg’s ultimate Polish or Compound work well?

Of course I’d wipe down with a prep / IPA solution prior to any coating / sealant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Water spot remover / deep cleaning product for windows

Even if you don`t need the little correction ability it has. Carpro CeriGlass and their Rayon Glass Polishing Pads does the work great. Especially when you have a lot of mineral deposits on the glass. I had some heavy residue from a wiper cleaner solution with protection in it that would not get of with the CeriGlass. So a compound worked on that strangely enough. Can be good to do a 2 step polish with CeriGlass followed by a polish on the extreme dirty glass. I would look at a polish with easy to remove polishing oils. For that I used Scholl S20 Black SS and a light cutting foam pad. Maybe something like 3D Polish or GG BOSS Correcting Cream could be good options. It`s not economical but the panel prep wipe products like Gyeon Prep and Carpro Eraser and Tac System Oil Zero works awesome as the last cleaning on the glass. It`s IPA based with something else in it that makes it evaporate slower than the compareble % of IPA. Think it`s called SLES that you have some in the IPA solution to make your own panel prep wipe product at home. Forensic Detailing Channel on Youtube has a great video on doing your own panel prep wipe product.

I start after a normal cleaning so you don`t have any loose dirt. With a synthetic clay block and Sonax Glass Cleaner as the clay lube. And followed by the CeriGlass and Rayon Glass Polishing Pads and then if you still feel like it`s something left on the glass. The polish and foam pad and wipe it off with a panel prep wipe product. I feel like if I`m putting in the effort to get it clean I might as well do it thoroughly. The glass is very clean know and easy to maintain.
    Likes DaveT435 liked this post
    Thanks felixthecat thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

For vehicles with water spotting on the windows, I typically clay and then run the blue (no scratch) scrubbies across the windows. If that doesn`t take care of it, I`ll bump up to Meg`s 101 or the like on a cutting pad. Depending on the water spots, I have even had luck with the Rain-X or Invisible Glass glass polish. If that doesn`t do the trick, Carpro CeriGlass on a glass pad usually does the trick. I have even found that CeriGlass has a bit of correcting power as it minimizes the pitting on my 174k mile windshield, every time I polish it. With using all of these products, be sure to clean the residues off, a panel prep is great to use. Although pretty dang finicky, Rustolem Grease and Wax Remover does a pretty good job of removing polishing oils, it is very economical. I would suggest removing it with a wet towel and using a dry towel dry the window. After that, an IPA wipe down followed with a glass sealant of choice, is a great way to keep spotting off windows. For the price and availability, you cannot beat Rain-X for side windows or the rear windshield, the front windshield often requires a little more upkeep by way of re-application and also making sure that you are running the wash mitt between the windshield and wiper blades, every wash.

Post Thanks / Like

Products like Ceriglass scare the [crap] out of me due to the chance of getting them on something other than the glass, so I just use regular Compounds/Polishes. Even with those, I do a test-spot as some auto "glass" really deserves those scare-quotes due to the, uhm... whatever they make it out of... being mighty soft compared to what *I* think of as Glass.

And yeah, remove any Polishing Oils (easier said than done with some products).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Products like Ceriglass scare the [crap] out of me due to the chance of getting them on something other than the glass, so I just use regular Compounds/Polishes. Even with those, I do a test-spot as some auto "glass" really deserves those scare-quotes due to the, uhm... whatever they make it out of... being mighty soft compared to what *I* think of as Glass.

And yeah, remove any Polishing Oils (easier said than done with some products).
    With a product like CeriGlass, one should worry about their polishing technique more than anything else. Taping is easy, distorting the glass and thus your view out of your windshield is really what needs to be worried about. haha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    With a product like CeriGlass, one should worry about their polishing technique more than anything else. Taping is easy, distorting the glass and thus your view out of your windshield is really what needs to be worried about. haha
    Heh heh, yeah..that`s a great point! I guess I`m awfully confident about some things, and *NOT* about others!

I`d be sooo gentle that I wouldn`t worry about the glass, but I`m paranoid as all get-out that I`ll somehow mar something with a product that abrasive

This seems a bit like my concerns about High Spots with Coatings...no biggie for others, cause for extreme concern for me.."pick your challenges".

Post Thanks / Like

I use Poorboys Pro Polish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    For vehicles with water spotting on the windows, I typically clay and then run the blue (no scratch) scrubbies across the windows. If that doesn`t take care of it, I`ll bump up to Meg`s 101 or the like on a cutting pad. Depending on the water spots, I have even had luck with the Rain-X or Invisible Glass glass polish. If that doesn`t do the trick, Carpro CeriGlass on a glass pad usually does the trick. I have even found that CeriGlass has a bit of correcting power as it minimizes the pitting on my 174k mile windshield, every time I polish it. With using all of these products, be sure to clean the residues off, a panel prep is great to use. Although pretty dang finicky, Rustolem Grease and Wax Remover does a pretty good job of removing polishing oils, it is very economical. I would suggest removing it with a wet towel and using a dry towel dry the window. After that, an IPA wipe down followed with a glass sealant of choice, is a great way to keep spotting off windows. For the price and availability, you cannot beat Rain-X for side windows or the rear windshield, the front windshield often requires a little more upkeep by way of re-application and also making sure that you are running the wash mitt between the windshield and wiper blades, every wash.
    Ceriglass is water based.

Post Thanks / Like

Not entirely on my original topic, but this question being all in prep to put something on my glass for winter...what would the opinion be of using Meg`s D15601 Synthetic Spray Wax for the winter months then I the spring when it`s warmer and easier to be outside detailing go with a sealant or coating?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Astouffer512-See what others say, but when I get (the supposedly similar) UQW on my glass it`s something I diligently clean off. Such products are simply a mess on glass for me, really awful when the light strikes it a certain way. I`d hoped it would work OK on at least the rear qtr. glass of the Tahoe, but no

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Astouffer512 View Post
    Not entirely on my original topic, but this question being all in prep to put something on my glass for winter...what would the opinion be of using Meg`s D15601 Synthetic Spray Wax for the winter months then I the spring when it`s warmer and easier to be outside detailing go with a sealant or coating?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    It will work. Just be sure to completely buff it off or you will get wiper chatter?

Meguiar’s makes the perfect clarity glass kit that is available at most local auto parts stores.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

For anything that wont come off with glass cleaner we use 0000 steel wool and glass cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like

All great input for glass, but what would you use for the outside mirrors? I don`t have a machine that uses 3`` pads btw. This thread came up at a great time for me.....Thanx for all your input....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Ceriglass is water based.
    Just because something is water based does not mean that it doesn`t have the potential to leave residues.

Post Thanks / Like

McKee’s Glass Restorer with 0000 steel wool has worked for me many times. I learned about this combo either here or on Autogeek.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information