Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Water spot remover / deep cleaning product for windows

I`m surprised that people still use Steel Wool on today`s autoglass. Some of it is awfully soft compared to the autoglass I grew up with. I`d sure do a test-spot first. It`s not a problem unless it *is* and/but I`d want to be careful.

I`ve posted before about how my Jag`s early TriPlex glass is awfully soft, no way it`d survive something that aggressive.

Gotta also be careful with some sideview mirrors, especially those without the plastic surrounds going `round their perimeters. The (no longer available ) ones on the `93 Audi are failing due to neglect/improper maintenance.

I`m really surprised that people do OK with SprayWaxes on glass! I always figure that there are a lot of variables with regard to RW/WW being used for this, but with SprayWaxes it seems like it oughta be a definite Yes/No and given my experience I`m really scratching my head. And even it it does turn out OK, won`t the first regular cleaning strip it all off?
    Likes RaskyR1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`d be trying a chemical spot remover first, CS-II has worked well for me on a few cars now. Follow that up a with a mild glass polish.
    Likes felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    Just because something is water based does not mean that it doesn`t have the potential to leave residues.
    Easier to clean up with water than a solvent/oil based product.

Post Thanks / Like

On windows that have wipers I want to have a dedicated glass sealant or glass coating. They are designed to put up against higher abrasions from the wipers. And it`s also depending on the environment too. If you don`t see much rain or snow it can be fine with a paint LSP that says to work on glass. But if you you need to be useing the wipers from time to time. And especially if you use the washer fluid. I would go with a glass sealant or coating. On the windows that you don`t have wipers. I have found that the spray on rinse off products like Gyeon Wet Coat and Carpro Hydro2 lite and Sonax Spray and Seal works extremly well on them. If you are worried about the overspray or run off you can apply still. Use a slightly damp mf applicator sponge or folded mf towel and spray on a couple of spritzes with the spray on rinse off product. Move quite fast or at least methodical with wipe it on the glass in a crosshatch pattern. Then directly buff it off and have a couple of mf towels ready. You can also rinse it off very thoroughly with a strong water pressure as with that application you get minimal residue left by the spray on rinse off product. Test on a smaller spot first to see how your glass on the vehical you apply it on reacts. You can also apply it normaly as the instructions says. I have seen over 5 months longevity with high performance from it with these kind of products. Think it`s something in these kind of products that bonds really well on the glass. Have a product called Krystal Kleen Detail "Purity X" that is highly concentrated siloxane that you dilute to different application methods. 30ml and 500ml water and highest chemical mix setting on the foamcannon and foam on and rinse off. The backside window on a Nissan Navara truck I washed it after 6 months again and it was like I have just applyied it. A little less performance on the side windows but still good. But where the wipers had abraded it was gone. Gyeon Wet Coat works great on my Kia cee`d SW side windows and always has a higher performance from it than on the paint when it`s time to top it up again.

The side mirrors where mentioned in the thread. That`s something that you just don`t know how aggressive you can be. Personally I would not use any abrasives on them. The newer ones is often plastic with a taped film with the mirror surface. So it can be very brittle and extremly thin. If you live where you have snow and many uses ice scraper on the side mirrors. You can often see where they have gone through the thin mirror surface. I can say to those that have or going to be detailing a Volvo. Be carefull and just very gentle clean it. As from the 80s to new they have simualar mirror film that is not an option to do any polishing on IMO. Or if they are bad and you still going to polishing it. Be ready to need to be replacing them. Another thing is with the newer ones and they have the electric heated side mirrors. Some you need to be replacing the whole side mirror house if you just have broken the mirror it self. It`s just a friendly advise.
    I have been trying to not get any LSP on the mirror surface for some time now. As I bought a product from Soft99 that`s called Glaco Mirror Coat Zero. It`s for side mirrors and the backing camera where you not have any wind that makes the water going away. And side mirrors you often gets a vacuum where the beads stands still on the mirrors. This claims to be be makeing the water to run off at 0mph/kmh. Next time this winter if I`m possible I will test this out. Would be cool if it works. But needs to be applyied on bare mirror so I have let the LSP degrade as much as possible so I don`t need to be aggressive when cleaning it. We have had very little rain and snow the last 3 years so the ground water is very low. But this fall I think that it`s going up to normal levels again as we have had raining and very humid conditions since late september here in Sweden. Great for the environment as it really needs it but sad for me as any detailing has been put on hold. Have just now access to a insulated garage with no heat that I can borrow. But it`s hard to find the days with a little nice weather conditions to do the prep wash LOL. So it`s looking on the forecast and see when it`s possible but they have not been so correct lately either LOL. And it`s been much else to do with the 2 cars I maintain so the side mirrors has been low priority too.

Post Thanks / Like

Just went to griots to try their fine glass polish. Worked great in getting the lightly etched water spots out of the windows which was great cuz wasn’t too keen on using the Ceriglass I bought.

Also seems to cold to apply the gtechnic coating I got so bought their glass sealant. Heard good things about it

Note: the spots came off with a couple of passes but I was using griots glass pads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ernman View Post
    I use Poorboys Pro Polish
    I used this non-abrasive polish with an MF towel to remove a decent percentage of spots on a side window of my Jeep. That was after trying various car wash soaps, window cleaners, and quick detailers. Nothing was phasing those spots!

I`ve picked up some Blackfire Glass Water Spot polish to try out as well. When I get around to using it, I`ll make a brief write-up

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information