Post Thanks / Like

GTechniq or Gyeon for wheel & window coatings?

Looking into getting wheel and window coatings. Looking at either GTechniq or Gyeon

Anyone use both and have feedback?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: GTechniq or Gyeon for wheel & window coatings?

Gtech window coating lasted longest of any but does not have great water shedding only average

Post Thanks / Like

Haven’t use mine but after all the reading went with gtechniq. C5 constantly came up in discussing and threads of wheel coatings. Liked that I could also buy it in 15ml bottles from AG. Also got Mikes seal of approval if I remember correctly.

Their glass coating got good reviews but in this case did not research too many others.

Post Thanks / Like

I have not tried either of there glass coatings. But I have tried both of the wheel coatings. These are my thoughts.

Gyeon Rim:

Application is pretty straight forward. One of the easiest wheel coatings I have used. Gyeon claims it to be 6 months but it will get you a little more than that. I did one coat and saw it start to lose its hydrophobic properties around 8 months while sheeting was still present. Self cleaning effect is pretty good. If I was to use this again, I would do two coats as Gyeon claims more durability with two.

Gtechniq C5:

It has been around for a long time. I find that it is a bit outdated and has been surpassed by other wheel coatings on the market. I would not mind seeing a new version of it. Application is straight forward as well. It is claimed to be an up to 2 year coating but expect more like 1 year. It is not the most hydrophobic wheel coating. It`s self cleaning effect is ok. Nothing to write home about. It does do better when topped with Exo.

If these were my only two options I would pick Gyeon Rim.

I would actually have you consider using a paint coating on the wheels.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes PoweredByJenga, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have done quite a few with G1 and like it a lot, just not the time for application (for windshield they sat 3 coats with 5 min between coats and 10 before final wipe). I only used Gyeon on one car and I don`t know how it performs. I actually don`t remember how it was applied but do know for some reason I liked the G1 better. For my rime I just use leftover CSL and top with EXO if I have some open.

Here is a picture of my rim getting a coat this spring and it is going on it`s 4th summer and has not been cleaned with anything stronger than car wash soap. I have not used Rim.
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Im about to pick up C5 as my 1st trial wheel coating. What made me go for it is that it has been around for ling time and has good claimed life. Gyeon Rim is also available here in Australia but at 6m claimed i was looking for something a bit longer. Its also a bit cheaper then c5. I will be doing 1 wheel on each of our cars (2), this will include the barrels as well. I just want to test it. Never know i may get Rim at a later date.

As others have pointed, it would be good to get v2 of C5.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

We have Gyeon View on one of our cars, Gtechniq G1 on the others. I currently prefer G1 but until using G1, View was one of the better overall window coatings I had used.

If you do a lot of winter driving on freeway, likely no coating will soldier through that season unscathed; Wiper, washer use and the slop that is all over the roads will probably kill it by Spring. The 10k winter freeway miles on my daily degrade any coating by Springtime. Our less abused cars will get a year nicely with either product.

Have used Gyeon Rim, IGL Wheel and Kamikaze Stance but not Gtechniq offering.

Overall, Kamikaze Stance did the best for me w regards to ease of application, longevity and overall effectiveness. 2 years. 42k miles of heavy use and when I redid last Summer, the wheels required very little cleanup. Maint was just a light wipedown during wash, pressure washer spray...no cleaners or brushes. Downside is cost, not cheap.

Gyeon Rim performed similarily over 2 years, 10k miles on wifes Corvette chrome wheels, obviously lighter use but still allowed for easy cleanup; car had ceramic pads so dusting was minimized a bit by that as well.

Brake pads play a large role in how well a wheel coating performs. Our 2 daily driver Honda`s and wifes Corvette done w Stance clean up nicely w just foam, pressure rinse and light wipedown (faces, barrels & calipers). Recently acquired Cayman done with Stance required me to finally buy some wheel brushes as pads are apparently more aggressive; foam, pressure rinse doesn`t clean up as completely, needs some physical agitation.

Wanna try Gtechniq this winter as their other coatings like Trim and Glass have dine well for me.
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

So in regards to the window coating a lot seem to prefer the Gtechniq

Is the 15ml bottle set enough to do a midsized car windshield and an SUV windshield?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Astouffer512 View Post
    So in regards to the window coating a lot seem to prefer the Gtechniq

Is the 15ml bottle set enough to do a midsized car windshield and an SUV windshield?

You`ll probably get *maybe* 2 windshields outta the coating but come up short in the removal agent. I suspect the removal agent is just IPA but ya never know.

I`ve used IPA before and it doesn`t seem to have any detrimental effects but certainly can`t say for sure.

Gtechniq recommends 3 coats for windshields so you may be short on coating as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ll assume since it’s now cold here in PA and I don’t have any heated garage to apply a coating with I probably can’t apply a wheel coating anymore until spring?

Post Thanks / Like

For most of GTech coatings require temps of above 40f (5c) which could still be possible.

Thread Information