Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: can someone recommend a steamer and extractor?

Seems like I get "confused" with hot-water extractors and steam cleaners, as they are two different cleaning machines. This question of, "If you could only have ONE cleaning machine, what would you choose: the extractor OR the steamer?" seems hard to answer because of the cleaning situations that one comes across. A hi-end steamer can be used BOTH on the exterior and interior (to some degree, no pun intended!). The hot water extractor will do just that; clean interior carpets and fabrics to a degree that is both effective and efficient that hand-cleaning cannot achieve or get out those hard-to-impossible fabric/carpet "stains".

ShaneB:
    What is the "rinsing agent" specifically that you are combining/mixing with the ChemSpec Express Lane carpet cleaner detergent/soap and what ratio is this in/at??
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

It`s the chemspec all fiber rinse. The rinse agent is used to neutralize the alkaline pH of the cleaner and it helps with getting dirt out too. It actually does make a noticable difference. It`s acidic so it also is quite effective at dissolving salt buildup as well. The pH of most rinses are on the acidic side. Chemspec all fiber is 3.6. I`ve seen others in the 5ish range.

I can only speak for the chemspec rinse but it mixes one ounce/gallon in the solution tank.

Post Thanks / Like

ShaneB- Ah, I`d somehow missed that you too have a Daimer steamer

Interesting to hear that the Eco Green works well with minimal foaming. It seems the Consumer Level detergents I`ve been using are low-foaming too, nothing at all like the stuff I`d used in the past (I don`t bother with defoamer in the household extractors).

I might have to try that ChemSpec Express Lane, it sounds different from the last High Traffic Product I got from them.

Lonnie- IMO the confusion between "Steamers" and "Extractors" is exacerbated by companies like Hoover and Stanley Steemer using the word "Steam" with regard to processess/machines that do *NOT* involve steam... Gee, it sounds so effective!" and all that..

Between the two, zero question that I`d take the extractor. Admittedly, part of it is due to pets, but between the house and Detailing we use extractors *ALL THE TIME* but hardly ever use the steamer. For somebody in a different household it could very well be different, but gee...don`t people extract their home carpets/rugs regularly? What do you *do* for a nasty spill of something on such floorcoverings?

Post Thanks / Like

I guess non Autopian people just call Stanley Steemer. I see ads for it all the time around here.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I guess non Autopian people just call Stanley Steemer. I see ads for it all the time around here.
    The local Stanley Steemer franchise here isn`t any better than some others, and *NOT ONE* local Pro gets ours as good as I do even when I use a consumer-level unit. And they leave `em a *LOT* wetter, making all sorts of excuses that I know are BS. I was utterly shocked by how mediocre Pro Carpet Services are in my area.

Post Thanks / Like

Gee, glad I never used one yet. My house only has two rooms with wall-to-wall carpeting any way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    My house only has two rooms with wall-to-wall carpeting any way.
    I bet a Bissell upright extractor would be plenty good enough, especially as I figure yours don`t get very dirty. Ours get *filthy* IMO but it`s still beating the Pro`s work.

This is like when I found out that the local Oriental Rug Specialty Shop cleans them with the *exact* same stuff..products/tools/everything..that I have, and that they don`t apply the same, uhm..attention to detail..that I do. One more case where a dedicated amateur can often outperform the Pros for various reasons (primary among them simply *caring* more).

Post Thanks / Like

You guessed right, mine don’t get too dirty. Nothing some spot cleaning can’t remedy. I also never wear shoes indoors so that helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill D- Heh heh, now how did I guess that one correctly

Post Thanks / Like

can someone recommend a steamer and extractor?can someone recommend a steamer and extractor?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information