Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: APC pH levels

Post Thanks / Like

APC pH levels

Doing some research lately in terms of how and why cleaners work for specific things and have gotten into how pH levels effect cleaning. Does anyone here happen to know off hand what the pH level is of any of the popular APCs out there? I assume most if not all of them are on the alkaline (higher) side. I am looking for one that`s actually on the lower end (acid). I`ve noticed that while alkaline cleaners work well for grease/oil/protein based stains and soil, acidic cleaners work well for dirt, salt, mineral based stuff. I`d like to find an APC that will hit the other end of the pH spectrum.

Maybe this thread can become a reference for pH levels. Could be helpful for some.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: APC pH levels

This isn’t the exact info that you are looking for but vinegar and lemon are more in the acidic side as well as toilet bowel cleaners. I don’t know how I would incorporate a toilet bowel cleaner into a detailing regime, but I’d imagine it would do wonders on wheel grime...of course it would probably reek havoc on the clear coat but I’d imagine the wheels would be prepped for a good coating at that point!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I believe OPT Power Clean is pH12, Super Clean is pH13, Extra Tough is pH11 or pH12 (maybe 10), Meg`s APC is pH11 (I think). Off the top of my head, I cannot think of any APC, only some wheel cleaners, that are below pH7. Eagle One Mag Wheel Cleaner pH 1 and Chrome Wheel Cleaner ~pH3. If you are looking for an APC to aid in removing mineral deposits, one of the acidic wheel cleaners diluted, will fit the bill; Vinegar, too, but not as effective. For what purposes, specifically, are you in need of an acidic APC? I ask because there are limited times when an acidic APC deployed for use.

Post Thanks / Like

When I have vehicles come in that have dirt ground into everywhere, especially the fine texture of interior plastics (that spider web cracked texture) any APC I`ve tried is minimally effective on it. Sure I can get the stuff off the surface but the stuff stuck down in the texture remains and is left highlighted. It`s really frustrating because it usually means scrubbing to get it clean. I try to live by the idea that if I have to scrub really hard, I have the wrong cleaner.

Maybe a simple vinegar solution is all I need. I typically keep that for salt removal, never thought to try it on a door panel or dashboard

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
    When I have vehicles come in that have dirt ground into everywhere, especially the fine texture of interior plastics (that spider web cracked texture) any APC I`ve tried is minimally effective on it. Sure I can get the stuff off the surface but the stuff stuck down in the texture remains and is left highlighted. It`s really frustrating because it usually means scrubbing to get it clean. I try to live by the idea that if I have to scrub really hard, I have the wrong cleaner.

Maybe a simple vinegar solution is all I need. I typically keep that for salt removal, never thought to try it on a door panel or dashboard
    Have you ever thought about whether or not your cleaning tools are letting you down?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    I believe OPT Power Clean is pH12, Super Clean is pH13, Extra Tough is pH11 or pH12 (maybe 10), Meg`s APC is pH11 (I think)...
    And to think that some people use such products on LEATHER!

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneB
    Maybe a simple vinegar solution is all I need. I typically keep that for salt removal, never thought to try it on a door panel or dashboard..
    Heh heh, I`ve had such poor performance from Vinegar (including potent "for cleaning/etc. only" varieties) that I almost think the whole "use vinegar to solve your problems!" thing is mostly BS...no matter what Heloise says When I need something acidic, I use something stronger. Not that I need acidic stuff very often.

EDIT: But "yeah, it works great!" regarding vinegar for salt.

I do wonder about using acidic products for what you`re dealing with...why might an acid work on what sounds like normal dirt/grime? While I generally agree about the "product vs. scrubbing", sometimes you simply need mechanical agitation and/or it`s preferable to letting a given product dwell for a really long time lest it cause damage. I think that, echoing what TheMeanGreen posted, I`d be sorting through my brushes to find just the right ones to agitate the surface effectively yet safely.

Post Thanks / Like

What has me thinking about this a lot more is that I recently started using a rinse solution with my extractor (still pre treat as usual) and have noticed that in terms of your everyday dirt, carpets are rinsing much more cleanly with the acidic solution (the RTU pH of the rinse is 3.6). And I don`t mean cleaner residue or anything, but dirt actually releases from the carpet much more easily than before. With what I read about pH levels and what certain pH levels are effective for different types of soil, the results seem to match the material.

I absolutely hate having to scrub things so I`ll keep doing my research on this and hopefully find a solution.

Am I allowed to share a link to the article I read about how pH levels effect cleaning?

As for my tools failing me, I`ve used soft brushes, stiff brushes, steam (100+ psi), brush attachment on the steamer, while some options work, it requires some elbow grease. I`ve also tried longer dwell times as well.
    shanesautodetail.com
    facebook.com/shanesautodetail
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

ShaneB- Ah, that`s interesting about the acidic Rinse Agent helping get things *cleaner* too! I use a bit of vinegar when residual soap/etc. is an issue but I never had it get anything cleaner like that (another YMMV moment ).

I bet you could cut/paste that article in a way that won`t bug the Powers That Be Just don`t link to somebody who`s competition to the owners of this site and you oughta be OK.

I sure sympathize with wanting to get things clean without some kind of oops!..and FWIW I`ve caused damage with my steamer that I sure never expected given my extensive experience with such stuff!

Here`s hoping you find just the right solution, and I`ll enjoy reading about it when you do.
    Likes ShaneB liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I was quite impressed when I read on the bottle of the rinse that it will make carpets feel softer and look nicer, and that actually is the case. Compared to extracting with just water, the carpets I`ve done actually come out a lot fluffier and feel softer.

It`s also very effective at dissolving salt, so I`m not reaching for vinegar nearly as much. Not bad for 1oz/gal added to my extractor.

Post Thanks / Like

ShaneB- I believe you! If my water weren`t as good as it is I`d absolutely be using a proper Rinse Agent with the extractors, and OK...I probably should anyhow. One of these days...

Which Rinse Agent is it? I`ll put it on my short-(wish) list.

Post Thanks / Like

Chemspec all fiber textile rinse
    shanesautodetail.com
    facebook.com/shanesautodetail

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
    Chemspec all fiber textile rinse
    Ah, OK...heh heh, that just figures as it`s the one I`ve almost bought a few times! ChemSpec does indeed know from Carpet Care. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Good read, good info.
    Thanks fellas (and sorry I couldn`t contribute. Haven`t done much by way of carpet cleaning on cars regularly)

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Heh heh, I`ve had such poor performance from Vinegar (including potent "for cleaning/etc. only" varieties) that I almost think the whole "use vinegar to solve your problems!" thing is mostly BS...no matter what Heloise says When I need something acidic, I use something stronger. Not that I need acidic stuff very often.
    Just a thought, I have picked up several bottles of "cleaning" vinegar and find that they are just the regular 5% variety. I use a fair amount of distilled vinegar, using 1/2 to a full cup with every laundry load. I keep a spray bottle of 50/50 vinegar/water for cleaning counter tops when the cooler weather drives the pi$$ ants in to remove their scent trails. I use the "hotter" (10 and 20%) vinegars for gardening purposes.

If ChemSpec is not available in your area, you might search for Matrix All Fiber Rinse. It appears to be a similar product and happens to be available for local pickup in my area. It dilutes so well that a gallon goes a long way.
    "If you get to thinkin` you`re a person of some influence, try orderin` somebody else`s dog around."
    --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t think this is breaking any forum rules but here`s one thing I read that got my mind thinking about this stuff

https://cleanfax.com/carpet-care/the...h-in-cleaning/

If this isn`t allowed, please forgive me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information