Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: APC pH levels

Post Thanks / Like

Re: APC pH levels

Mr. Clean- The "hot" versions are what I tried for cleaning as well as weed-killing. Lousy at both IME, total waste of $ in my case

Thanks for mentioning the Matrix. I can get ChemSpec, but others might not have it local.

ShaneB- That was a good read, thanks for posting it. Interesting that they didn`t mention leather liking things slightly acidic..

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    Good read, good info... sorry I couldn`t contribute. Haven`t done much by way of carpet cleaning on cars regularly..
    There are always the *household* carpets and rugs to consider

Post Thanks / Like

ShaneB do you know if your soil in your area is usually mineral high?

Then soil is a mineral if I`m remember it correctly. But it`s much of in which state the mineral is in and what kind of mineral it is. That comes to if it`s needed to be desolved in to a liquid form or if you need to be release the bond between it and the material it has attached to. To desolve it it`s the acidic ph level of a product and if you need to be release the bond it`s usually an alkaline that does it. So usually at least on the paint you need to be release the bond and an alkaline product is usually the most effective to do this. Can be that on the plastic trim it`s more needed to be desolved to get it off more effective. And it`s maybe not getting desolved fully but small parts so edges and such gets desolved so it`s released easier from the plastic and fiber. As an iron remover works on iron particals basicly. I`m not a chemist and just on how I think it could works based on the reading I have done as geek to get to know how things works LOL. So there is much more to it and variables.

I think that most think the Meguiars APC D101 is gentle. But in it`s concentrated it has a ph level of 13. Don`t know what ph level it gets to when diluted to 1:4 or 1:10. But then it`s not just the ph level on how effective the cleaners are if you compare 2 products with the same ph level. Then it`s much more of the chemicals them selfs abilities to clean different kind of dirt. So it`s much of which chemicals that desolves different kind of dirt most effective. And I think that you will be a good chemist and know exactly which kind of dirt you want to clean or desolve. To know which chemical build up is the most effective to do this. Then it`s not like you have to have the exactly chemical to be doing a good cleaning and it can work well to clean many kind of different dirts. But the hardest part is to get to know what it is for kind of dirt that you try to remove. And have the knowledge about the chemical build up of just that dirt and what and how the chemical build up of the cleaning product is to handle this the best way. Know it`s not so needed to be getting into the the specific chemicals but more of a general knowledge about it to be trying some different chemical build up products and see which works to clean it off. Or if it`s really needed to be useing a chemical product and just some warm/hot water and aggitations can be very effective to clean with. Also you have the material that you are going to be cleaning a specific dirt off it. Then maybe the most effective cleaner is not so good to use on that material. So you would need to be finding something that`s safe to use on that material and still good at cleaning off the dirt on that material. And so it`s so many variables so you usually use a wider chemicals build up in the cleaner that can be on the material that it`s designed to be used on. But if you have a certain kind of dirt on a certain kind of material you should be able to finding out what works the best and safest to do the cleaning.

Think that there are many chemical products that is used in different kind of works. That can suit the vehical detailing great too. But be carefull to use these on just the material you have taking it from outside of the vehical detailing. As the vehical detailing products takes in what other materials on the vehicals this can be overspayed on and not destroying those materials. That the outside cleaning product don`t need to be cared for. For an example that the fabric rinse product is great on the carpets but could be staining plastic trim badly. This is just made up to an example where you have plastic trim very close to most fabric.

Awesome that you have find something that works for you. I thought of useing a waterless wash which usually is on the acidic ph level. Wondering which ph level the McKees N-914 rinseless wash has? Think it`s a blend of solvents and the water softening chemicals. Where the water softening properties is usually acidic. So it`s much of how much of the water softening chemicals it`s in it. And if it`s enough to desolve or release the dirt you want to clean off.

Thanks for shareing the article about the ph levels and will be reading it with intrest.

/ Tony
    Likes ShaneB liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well that is the long explanation of what I`m trying to learn here. Thank you.

Basically yeah, I am trying to figure out what works for specific types of soil, what is safe, and most importantly... WHY it works or doesn`t work. Want to work smarter not harder. Guess I`m just trying to understand the science behind all of it.
    shanesautodetail.com
    facebook.com/shanesautodetail
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t think you can come to the conclusions on what works best on what by simply looking at the pH levels of the cleaner. Surely the combination of what chemical solvents, detergents, surfactants and such has to be more important than just the pH level.
    Likes SWETM liked this post

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator, not wanting to make the mistake of the "assume", so I`ll ask if your hot version of vinegar is the 20% variety? If so, I am surprised at your disappointment. I have found it to be an extremely effective contact killer on weeds, grasses, and if not careful, unintended plants. Some tougher weeds and bermuda grass (tougher than most weeds - some call it a weed) will require follow up sprays since it is not a systemic. I still prefer this additional step to more toxic chemicals. If you aren`t completely out on it as a solution to your weed problems, try adding a drop of two of dishwashing soap (sticker) and an oz of orange oil (di-limonene).
    "If you get to thinkin` you`re a person of some influence, try orderin` somebody else`s dog around."
    --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Clean- Eh, I`m a few years too late to the party regarding what that "Hot" vinegar was, but it was labelled as suitable for all the things it didn`t effectively do.

Maybe I`ll back off my adamant "it doesn`t work!" since you`ve had such good experiences, I did get mine from my dad`s estate and maybe it loses potency over time or something.

Yeah, what with the dogs I would prefer to not use so many nasty chemicals all the time..I go through many gallons of Roundup-type stuff (yes I take precautions ).

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator, 20% is to be used with caution. You don`t want to inhale fumes and you definitely don`t want to get in on you skin. I would not consider it a good candidate for general cleaning. I don`t have any idea about the shelf life as mine won`t sit around long as I only buy it when I have an immediate use.
    "If you get to thinkin` you`re a person of some influence, try orderin` somebody else`s dog around."
    --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Clean- Noted...though I suspect it`s still milder than some of the acids that I used to reach for regularly (more of that "don`t try this at home, kids!" stuff we now look back on with eyes wide open).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information