Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Chrome Protection

Getting new chrome plated wheels. What to apply for protection?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chrome Protection

Have true chrome plated wheels on my driver Bird, now two years. In winter it only gets the `wave a wand" washes.
    I apply two thin coats of the "pure paste wax", either Collinite or Finish Kare in the fall. So far no corrosion of the chrome.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like

I`d just LSP it with [whatever] too, or maybe try one of the Coatings made for metal. Quality chrome is tough stuff, at least until it gets compromised, but sealing it with something is still a good idea. By the time people see any issues it usually means the underlying metal is oxidizing and that`s seriously bad news.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, guys.
    I remember something about Plexus working on chrome.

Post Thanks / Like

What creates/causes corrosion/rust? Two basics are at the top of the list---moisture and water--then add some corrosive such a salt or mag chloride--you have it happen. Use of a blocker, such as the micro-waxes in Collinite or Finish Kare pure paste wax blocks moisture and air from getting in contact with the metal. The micro-waxes being synthetic polymer based are "anti-corrosive" so they can resist the salts etc for a few months.

Post Thanks / Like

The FK1000P can indeed protect incredibly well against corrosion. Bare aluminum spots where wheels were curbed stay nice and corrosion-free all winter with some coats of that stuff. Collinite was OK but strained to last all winter even with multiple coats of 845 topped with 476S.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    The FK1000P can indeed protect incredibly well against corrosion. Bare aluminum spots where wheels were curbed stay nice and corrosion-free all winter with some coats of that stuff. Collinite was OK but strained to last all winter even with multiple coats of 845 topped with 476S.
    Thank you. I went with the FK1000.

Post Thanks / Like

Collinite has a metal AIO that’s really good at cleaning and protecting. Not sure how long it lasts on chrome though. I don’t check up on my exhaust tips as much as I should. They look good still but different beast than chrome wheels. I apply twice a year.

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/coll...l#.XdJ10SVOklQ

Post Thanks / Like

In my experience wheel rims that go through many years of Upper Midwest Wisconsin winters WILL succumb to corrosion eventually. i think, though, that Ron K`s explanation of curb rash exposure and the resulting corrosion is accurate. I will add metal fatigue to that list, as rims in particular go through a lot of stress during its use on a vehicle and small cracks in the rim material coating (paint/clear coat or powder coat or chrome) will allow water and winter`s de-ciers to get underneath this coating eventually, causing the fore-mentioned corrosion. But still using a good wax/sealant/coating on a rim is a wise decision to protect what you can for as long as you can, until the rims look pretty bad (THERE`s an oxymoron!! )

Speaking of powder coating on rims, does anyone know if ANY vehicle manufactures powder coats OEM rims in production?? It may not be the most nicest-looking coating, but I think its durability is outstanding. I know after-market rim manufacturers offer this coating option, especially for off-road vehicle rims..
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Bill57- Be sure to get multiple coats on there, with a wait time between coats, to ensure it lasts long enough. I do three/four and then wash with sorta-strong shampoo mix (not Wheel Cleaner). I sure hope it works as well for you as it does for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    In my experience wheel rims that go through many years of Upper Midwest Wisconsin winters WILL succumb to corrosion eventually...
    Not, IME, if maintained to any decent extent. That has simply never been a problem for me and some of our winter drivers have been used in salt/etc. for a long, long time. The winter wheels for the Tahoe oughta be *AWFUL* by now, but nope..just all scratched up from before I got `em, and I don`t even LSP those. It seems to be a matter of whether the wheels` finish gets compromised enough for the salt/etc. to reach the underlying metal, and/or whether the salt is allowed to stay on them long enough to get working in the microfissures/pores of the finish, whatever that happens to be. Quickie wheels/tires-only cleaning can apparently go a long ways as I`m sure not all that Autopian about such stuff.

BUT...also just IME and of course YMMV...the centercaps are a different story, especially if you pop `em out of the wheels (in my case so I can hang the wheels up). The finish on the edges gets compromised and then there`s simply no stopping the corrosion, best you can do is try to slow it down until the time comes for replacements (the availability of which is something to consider when buying wheels). The centercaps for the A8`s Borbets are getting pretty nasty (by Autopian/my standards) even though the wheels themselves are still OK despite being used every winter since `00.

Speaking of powder coating on rims, does anyone know if ANY vehicle manufactures powder coats OEM rims in production??
    I thought that most all oe wheels are powdercoated these days. The ones on my `01 Mazda MPV gave every indication of that, just prepping them for refinishing (after they got damaged by others...grrr..) was a huge PIA as the stuff was hard as a rock.

Ron Ketcham oughta know...hope he checks back to this thread and gives us the straight scoop.

Post Thanks / Like

OEM wheels are sourced from outside vendors who meet the specs set by the OEM`s engineers. As such, the powder coat system used by one may vary greatly from one to another. Additionally, each assembly plant for it`s models, may use wheels from different vendors. Example, a plant in Mexico will usually use a different vendor for wheels vs a plant in the USA, which has manufacturering closer to the plant to save shipping cost, etc Also the wheel manufacturer usually mounts and balances the tire/wheel combo and delivers "just in time" to the assembly plant.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham View Post
    OEM wheels are sourced from outside vendors who meet the specs set by the OEM`s engineers. As such, the powder coat system used by one may vary greatly from one to another..
    Not wanting to put words in your mouth, does that mean that "yeah, many oe wheels are powdercoated"?

Post Thanks / Like

Not shiny chrome, only the "mag" style OEM wheels.They use one of two types of powder coating. Acrylic or polyester.

Post Thanks / Like

Ron Ketcham- Ah, OK...I`m way out-of-date on (genuine) chrome wheels but kinda figured that chrome plating and powdercoating are an either/or. Closest I have are "Machined Finish" wheels, which have a tough-as-nails clear on them that I assume is powdercoat.

Thanks for confirming that "Mag" wheels are indeed powdercoated. And/but your reply raises another Q (as I might have some powdercoating done), namely which (if either) of the two kinds you consider the most durable. I definitely want to be an Informed Consumer next time I have it done, the results were, uhm..sub-optimal

Post Thanks / Like

Some wheel engineers used to swear by one, while another may say the opposite and since retired and most of my contacts are either retired or dead, can`t say which is considered best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information