Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any News/Info About Megs Ceramic Coating M788??

1 year, 2 years, 10 years, does it matter what a manufacturer states? If we have learned anything on these forums is that longevity is based on variables. Use the coating and put the vehicle in a bubble and the coating will last indefinitely. Apply the coating and run the vehicle through a swirl-o-matic and it “lasts” a month. How a coating protects and looks is more important than length of protection.

A coating that only lasts for 1 year almost falls into the “coating lite” category. When they tout 1 year durability I’m looking for it to be super easy to apply and fairly inexpensive ($25).

And manufacturers have been known to exaggerate (lie) to sell more product.
    Likes dman68 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Instead of all these copycats, can someone please come out with a layerable coating....please!
    Likes dman68 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Instead of all these copycats, can someone please come out with a layerable coating....please!
    Do you mean that you would be able to apply another layer when the performance goes down?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    1 year, 2 years, 10 years, does it matter what a manufacturer states? If we have learned anything on these forums is that longevity is based on variables. Use the coating and put the vehicle in a bubble and the coating will last indefinitely. Apply the coating and run the vehicle through a swirl-o-matic and it “lasts” a month. How a coating protects and looks is more important than length of protection.
    While I agree the manufacturer claims are highly suspect, durability is more important to me than appearance. I`m not going to spend the money on a coating unless I can get 18~24 months from the product. My life is still pretty busy right now and I need to be able to schedule major vehicle details across years, not months. I really like the looks of CanCoat better than CQ UK, but I get double the durability from the CQ UK and therefore it has become my go-to LSP rather than CanCoat.

A coating that only lasts for 1 year almost falls into the “coating lite” category. When they tout 1 year durability I’m looking for it to be super easy to apply and fairly inexpensive ($25).[/QUOTE]

Agree. Since I`ve seen CanCoat (which claims 6 months) last nearly 12 months, despite a mid-west winter, I won`t spend more on a coating unless I`m confident it will go at least two years. I`ll give Meguiars the benifit of the doubt for now and see how it holds up for users. Who knows, maybe it will be like CanCoat and last well past the manufacturer`s claims.

Many of the coatings actually expect you to layer a couple coats during application. Gyeon and CQuartz come to mind.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Do you mean that you would be able to apply another layer when the performance goes down?
    Yes or even before. Like when I want some more pop or I`m bored.
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m guessing it wouldn`t be the end of the world if you were ok w the condition of the paint. Good `decon` wash, prep wipe and go.

2 Summers ago I added a coat of ISM on top of 2 coats of Miyabi I had done 5 months previous on a friends truck. It`s still doing quite well. :shrug:

If I have some leftovers after doing this years new fleet vans, I`ll grab one I did a year or 2 ago and coat over it after wash/prep wipedown...nothing to lose, everything to gain.
    Likes Dan, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If it`s in good conditions as in no contaminants on the coating. I think that most coatings could bond to it self if thoroughly deconed and panel prep wipe product wipe down. Then you must lower the expectations from how long it lasts on the old coating. If you have a defect free paint or close to it. It should not be a problem to apply a coating if you are able to be remove anything that`s on the paint chemically. It`s just that it`s so effective to get a paint squeeqe clean with polishing it. This last is when you first apply the coating. There where a member on AGO named DMiglio that tested with a light decon wash and don`t think he clayed it and just used a panel prep wipe product wipe down. And then applyied the coating which where McKees 37 one. This was totaly for testing purpose he did this. Look up the thread over there as I have forgotten some of it. IIRC it degraded very fast in the performance from it and had a lower performance from it when freshly applyied. So you can apply a coating with less prep but remember it gets the durability as a sealant basicly in the performance. A thorough prep is very important if you look at the durability from it. Otherwise you can use it with less prep and apply it more often. If you want to do that LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

I get what I can do with a current coating, in fact I`ve done a no prep application of M37 as well.

I just want what Zaino promised almost 20 years ago (but never delivered).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    The coating market has become the sealant market from the past. I really think that with the exception of the higher end waxes, everything shortly will say something about ceramics.
    ... until we realize how much of an occupational heath hazard it is to frequent users, like professional detailers. Might take a while, like asbestos or Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) or even now the herbicide Round-Up. All chemicals or products that "solved" a problem or made life "better", until it was realized how much of a human health hazard it really is/was.
    Ah yes, there is one kill-joy (AKA, lawyer wannabe) member in every forum!! Time to wear that personal protective equipment (PPE) AKA; gloves and respirator mask!

Hey, I clean cars, not your health and well-being.
    GB detailer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information