Post Thanks / Like

Protecting clear plastic/vinyl windows

A client of mine with a soft-top Jeep recently inspired me to try to dive into a search for any advances that I may have missed specifically for sealing/coating flexible clear plastic windows found in many convertible/soft tops. Up to now, I`ve generally treated these windows with a polymer paint sealant because I`ve seen good results from this and no one has ever been dissatisfied or incredibly particular about their plastic windows. I admit that I haven`t achieved very satisfying results in my research. I find myself with questions remaining. In the absence of a product specifically designed for this purpose, is a plastic window better treated with a paint sealant/coating or a glass sealant/coating? While something as simple as 303 may protect the plastic itself, I`m curious about finding products that go beyond and provide slickness, hydrophobic behavior, and perhaps even some self-cleaning. *Is* there much of anything designed to this end, and if not, what`s the next best approach? Paint coating? Headlight coating? Glass coating? Polymer sealant?

Gyeon has a PPF coating which is interesting, but I`m not sure how similar these windows, which I believe are or at least used to be vinyl, are to urethane PPF. Cermaic Pro has a "PPF & Vinyl" product that suggests there are useful similarities.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Protecting clear plastic/vinyl windows

I can’t remember the last time used FK1000P on vinyl, but I think I have, at some point; it does great on glass. You could always try CarPro DLux or Essence and Turtle Wax’s new Hybrid Ceramic Spray. Regardless, Essence is great on PPF and vinyl, ever wonder why CarPro doesn’t have a specific PPF primer? Yeah, well they do. Essence, from origination was formulated for PPF, the resins left behind flash clear. I’d imagine that any plastics or PPF safe coating would be fine on the windows of that soft top.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Protecting clear plastic/vinyl windows

Ooo, Essence. I`m aware of it, but it`s an angle I had overlooked until you brought it up. I am in love with Carpro`s compound and polish and find myself using my others lately not because I like them more but because I just want to use them up to be rid of them, and even still I`ve managed to burn through a bunch of my ClearCut and Reflect anyway. Thank-you for reminding me of Essence, and while it may not be everything I`m looking for, I really should find a place for it in my kit.

Thread Information