Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Wheel well protecting / prepping for winter

How does everyone (I`m assuming people do) prep and protect wheel wells for the winter months? Especially people in the mid-Atlantic/ north east. Are there any spray type coating products worthwhile? I`ve been looking at something like Gyeon wet-coat....or am I looking at the wrong type of product?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wheel well protecting / prepping for winter

If they really need something special I`ll clean them up and LSP (solvent if there`s a lot of tar, otherwise just clay, then some AIO, then regular LSP on the areas painted body-color) but I could just stick with the usual cleanings and SprayWaxing (which I have done and found pretty sufficient).

As long as I keep cleaning and SprayWaxing them at every wash there`s no need for anything really involved, even with Ohio winters.

IMO the big thing is to not let salt/etc. stay in place all that long, which it doesn`t since the wells/etc. get done every time I wash.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if we are talking the same thing or not? I`m wondering about the wheel well up side the car above the tires.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

A, what is the material made from on your car?

Post Thanks / Like

Let me know what you do for fabric-type wheel well liners on some vehicles, like GM trucks.

I am tempted to use canvas fabric waterproofing silicone or a 3M Scotchgard Fabric protectant or a something that ATVs use on their wheel wells to keep the mud from sticking.
    Check out slickproductsusa.com (Sorry, no direct link due to forum rules! Right Moderators?)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Let me know what you do for fabric-type wheel well liners on some vehicles, like GM trucks.

I am tempted to use canvas fabric waterproofing silicone or a 3M Scotchgard Fabric protectant or a something that ATVs use on their wheel wells to keep the mud from sticking.
    Check out slickproductsusa.com (Sorry, no direct link due to forum rules! Right Moderators?)
    I`ve always used 303 fabric protectant on those myself.
    Likes DaveT435 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom p. View Post
    A, what is the material made from on your car?
    It’s dark plastic

I thought about just a cheap arm out all type spray as well, but is there any “spray able” dressings I could spray up there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Well, plastic won`t be susceptible to corrosion. Not really anything to protect that I can think of. People use spray-on products like Fluid Film for the winter months, don`t know that is going to help in this scenario.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

I coated the plastic in my Challenger and the VW golf with Modesta plastic coating. Just hose it off and done. I’m sure auto geek has a consumer plastic coating. As far as fabric, I use rag top .

Post Thanks / Like

I coat the plastic type and use a fabric coating on the fabric ones. Keeps them cleaner longer and assists in cleanup during maintenance.
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Likes The Guz, tom p. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
    I`ve always used 303 fabric protectant on those myself.
    Well, I might have to try that.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Astouffer512
    Not sure if we are talking the same thing or not? I`m wondering about the wheel well up side the car above the tires.
    I`m pretty sure we`re talking about the same thing. Our Audis and the Crown Vic have both painted metal and plastic in the wheelwells.

IMO there`s no point in using either a Dressing (too short-lived, potential for retaining dust/dirt) or a Trim Sealant (too much abuse from stuff the tires throw up). The SprayWaxing seems just right; looks fine from wash-to-wash, sheds dirt better than a Dressing, easy-peasy to do when drying them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert
    I coated the plastic in my Challenger and the VW golf with Modesta plastic coating. Just hose it off and done. I’m sure auto geek has a consumer plastic coating.
    Ah, interesting! How does it hold up to gravel/etc. getting thrown up in the Winter? How do you think a Coating work would on worn plastic (we`re not talking cars that`re just a decade old here )?

I somehow think I`d *not* appreciate any benefits from "doing them better" with a Coating/Sealant, but I do want to keep an open mind. What might I be missing?!?

Those surfaces just take *so* much abuse from stuff getting thrown up from the road, and mine are just so worn on most of our vehicles...one unexpected benefit of the SprayWaxes I`ve tried is that they work OK on surfaces that`re in really nasty condition. I bet the Coating/Sealant approach would work great on something pampered like the S8, but since I`m drying those surfaces anyhow a SprayWax as a Drying Aid doesn`t really take anything extra, and I can even use the same towel that I`m already using for the Undercarriage/etc. since it`ll already have the SprayWax on it.

Post Thanks / Like

I really couldn`t live with the fabric ones, I`d literally pass on a vehicle over them...I mean, how do you keep those nice after thousands of miles, let alone in bad weather? I see them looking ratty on Loaners/etc. that are basically still new! Tar, salt, abrasion...let alone lane-line paint (heh heh, I know we Autopians never drive through it, but still..), after just a dozen years or so I`d expect that material to be in awful shape.

Post Thanks / Like

So what specific spray waxes are we talking about?
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve coated all kinds of trucks and jeeps, there is no problem with coating plastic liners. It improves the looks and lasts much longer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information