Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Tuf Shine clearcoat or Gyeon Tire

From my research it does appear these are really 2 completely different types of product, but I have narrowed my winter tire protectio (and future I`d assume) down to these 2 products

I`m looking more for reviews on how well the protection is.

With winter coming there will be the salt and all the other nice stuff PenDot will have on the roads. More than likely I won`t get a lot of hand washing and scrubbing done through the winter, but they will get sprayed at the pay and spray. I`ll probably be taking a tire cleaner with me....using purple power for heavy cleaning and just soap for normal cleanings

Which product for winter protection would you all recommend? Does either of these hold up to a good tire cleaner and scrub brush better than the other?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tuf Shine clearcoat or Gyeon Tire

Tuf Shine will last around 3 months, Gyeon will last like a month, maybe 2 but that`s really pushing it. When I used Tuf Shine I really didn`t need tire cleaner. When I`d wash my car a good spray from the hose and they were looking new again. At worst you definitely wouldn`t have to scrub them. Some soap and rinse it off would be good. While they do the same thing, as you said they`re very different products so it`s not really fair to compare them. Tuf Shine`s over twice as expensive, so it should be a lot better. I`ll say Gyeon`s about the same where you don`t need to do much aside from rinse it to keep it looking clean.

I own both, I like Gyeon, IMHO Tuf Shine`s probably a tad less forgiving if you don`t have the tires ultra clean. I`ve applied it in haste without cleaning the tires well enough, and it looked blotchy. No problems if you just do it right though lol. Looks wise, that`s really a personal preference thing, what I like you might hate. But I think both look killer, not too glossy (don`t like that) and both can be layered to give you a bit more sheen. Application for both is easy, I recommend a good tire applicator. [FONT=Roboto]Adam`s Polishes Pro Tire Hex Grip Tire Dressing Applicator is the one I use. There might be better ones now, I haven`t tried anything since I found that one. But for the handful I tried, I liked it a lot. I don`t like the foam block that
    comes with Tuf Shine. Also I`ve tried like 6 different tire brushes, and the $5 Tuf Shine one is my absolute favorite. Prep is going to be the key, your car soap won`t cut it no matter how much you scrub. I use Tuf Shine cleaner, but a lot of people just use a good APC. Adam`s also has a really really good tire and rubber cleaner, and it`s not too expensive. Others here can chime in on cleaners, I haven`t used anything aside from Tuf Shine or Adam`s for cleaning my tires for 5 years. I do know with a whatever tire cleaner it will take lord knows how many. 1st one I used (forgot name) I had to scrub my front tires like 8 times each to get them totally clean. Tuf Shine & Adam`s 1-2, if it`s really dirty 3. I know a lot of people use something like Tuf Shine cleaner once then go over a 2nd time with an APC to save money. Makes sense, but I don`t know how to "save money" maybe I should Google as I`m not even sure exactly what the hell that is lol.

*EDIT*
    Oh, I lied about the cleaners I use, had a brain fart. I absolutely love love love Mothers Back to Black Tire Cleaner, it`s cheap and you can buy it at Walmart and a lot of auto stores. It cleans almost as well as Tuf Shine. And somehow it does it without needing a scrub brush, just wipe good with a MF.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m going to toss Mckee’s tire coating into the mix. For me it outperforms Tuf shine by a long shot.

All I use is soap and water to clean up the tires.

Gyeon Tire is not bad but 2-4 weeks and it needs a reapplication. It is not a tire coating but rather a tire dressing.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

I should look into the Mckee`s, haven`t heard about it before today. I get around 3 months with Tuf Shine, but you`re saying it outperforms TS so I might have to switch. The few reviews I found for it were on Amazon, and most said it was pretty awful. But I`d probably attribute that to poor tire prep.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll agree on the Mckee`s. Of the 3, I think it is easiest to apply and lasts a couple months. Build layers up, at least i do. Never gets that too shiney look which I personally don`t like.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I’m going to toss Mckee’s tire coating into the mix. For me it outperforms Tuf shine by a long shot.

All I use is soap and water to clean up the tires.

Gyeon Tire is not bad but 2-4 weeks and it needs a reapplication. It is not a tire coating but rather a tire dressing.
    Quote Originally Posted by quebert View Post

*EDIT*
    Oh, I lied about the cleaners I use, had a brain fart. I absolutely love love love Mothers Back to Black Tire Cleaner, it`s cheap and you can buy it at Walmart and a lot of auto stores. It cleans almost as well as Tuf Shine. And somehow it does it without needing a scrub brush, just wipe good with a MF.
    Thanks for the advice

AG had a 25% off sale today so I bought the McKee’s tire coating as well as the mother’s back to black cleaner. Hopefully I’ll have them in time to work on the tires this weekend. I also bought the carrands brush that is recommended to apply the coating

Quebert when you clean your tires with the Mothers before you apply the coating (tug-shine in your case) how many times do you need clean the tires?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Astouffer512 View Post
    Thanks for the advice

AG had a 25% off sale today so I bought the McKee’s tire coating as well as the mother’s back to black cleaner. Hopefully I’ll have them in time to work on the tires this weekend. I also bought the carrands brush that is recommended to apply the coating

Quebert when you clean your tires with the Mothers before you apply the coating (tug-shine in your case) how many times do you need clean the tires?

Just to pipe in you’ll need to do a lot! Clean till they foam up white not brown. I used 303 tire and rubber cleaner in tires with about 6000 miles on them. Took about 5 cleanings to get right.

Make sure you do though as the tires may brown up or the coating may look blotchy if you do.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to add to what Coating=Crack said about cleaning, I have encountered 2 sets where 1 bottle of the Black To Black Tire Cleaner wasn`t enough. But both were DIRTY and huge 4x4 truck tires. As far as cleaning, Mothers has one of the strongest tire cleaners I`ve used. If you`ve never gave them a good cleaning, it`ll take multiple passes. If you`ve used other tire dressings, even more passes. One bottle *should* be enough. It can be a looong process the 1st time you do it lol. I`m interested how you like the McKee`s, post back when you`re done. I haven`t used a tire coating outside of Tuf Shine so I`m curious about this one.
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

We have TufShine on 3 of our cars, Gyeon Tire on the other. I have pretty much been using TufShine on all of our cars since Summer 2016 I believe.

As mentioned, prep can be a pain especially if you`ve been using other dressings previously...on one of our cars it took a day and about 15 `cycles` to clean it up. Once applied, I`ll generally maintain each Spring with a cycle or 2 of scrub/rinse, apply 2 to 3 coats and that`s it until the next Spring.

Gyeon Tire seems to be a 2-4 week thing, even when `cured` with heated air.

I like clean looking tires, fresh and not overly glossy which is good because TufShine wont get to that real high gloss but for me it`s generally a once a year thing. Dont really know how it looks/works during the winter but tires don`t look bad at the start of each Spring, just a quick cleanup and reapply.

Post Thanks / Like

About cleaning the tires, what about a strong chemical like Purple Power, or kerosene, or mineral spirits? It seems using something strong wouldn`t require as much work to get the tires clean and all other previous products off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcgreen View Post
    About cleaning the tires, what about a strong chemical like Purple Power, or kerosene, or mineral spirits? It seems using something strong wouldn`t require as much work to get the tires clean and all other previous products off.
    I`ve got a jug of TufShine cleaner, dunno if other stuff would work. Kinda a PIA process so I just followed their directions to insure it was a `do once` affair.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcgreen View Post
    I’ve read some people that stuff worked and some didn’t. I only wanted to do once so I used 303 which worked great but still needed 5 passes on 30 series low pros. Do it right do it once. The coating I used Tac systems is about a 4-6 week coating.

I think I’ll be switching to mckees or black pearl. Was thinking optimum but reviews on other two seem stronger. Some reason I just can’t get to add tuff shine to the list.

Didn’t think I’d be a Mckees fan but everything I’ve used of theirs has overperformed for me in my opinion

Post Thanks / Like

I believe you will be happy with the M37. I have used both it and the tufshine and to me the tufshine seems to last a little longer but I like the looks of the M37 a little better.
    Here is a pic of what I used to get my snow tire clean before coating last year.

And here is a pic for the tires after I removed the and how they looked with the M37 after a fairly harsh winter.
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post
    Thanks Coatings=crack thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    I’ve read some people that stuff worked and some didn’t. I only wanted to do once so I used 303 which worked great but still needed 5 passes on 30 series low pros. Do it right do it once. The coating I used Tac systems is about a 4-6 week coating.

I think I’ll be switching to mckees or black pearl. Was thinking optimum but reviews on other two seem stronger. Some reason I just can’t get to add tuff shine to the list.

Didn’t think I’d be a Mckees fan but everything I’ve used of theirs has overperformed for me in my opinion

If you want my bottle of Tuf shine PM me. I haven’t used it in awhile but I believe there is still quite a bit of product left in the bottle.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    If you want my bottle of Tuf shine PM me. I haven’t used it in awhile but I believe there is still quite a bit of product left in the bottle.
    Love this community as many offer up help and willingness to share. I’ve got my choices down to mckees and black pearl. Fly07sti was kind enough to offer a sample of Black Pearl but as I like supporting AutoGeek and like your endorsement.... I think mckees it is and I’m just gonna buy it.

I feel greedy talking samples when I’m ok in life to spend the 20-40 for the product. In the spirit of the kindness I’ve been shown I’m gonna be giving away some nice products I’m not using or have to much and spread the love.

Guz, you are a stand up guy and I appreciate all the advice you’ve given me and your reviews that you’ve posted that have helped me out. Your the reason Cquartz 3.0 is on my car.... and I’m loving it.

Thanks,

Colin

Likes The Guz, BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information