Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which of these "sealants" would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by dschribs View Post
    You will LOVE Powerlock. Goes on easy and removal is effortless. I`ll never go back to using another sealant.
    I used Menzerna Powerlock over 10 years ago and wasn`t all that impressed. Is the newer Jescar formula better?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Astouffer512- Ah, hope it plays nice with the Speed, which I`d pretty much expect.

I failed to address that Q earlier..although some people (e.g., Yours Truly) would always do the Finishing Polish (and I`m mighty picky about which I use, no more M205 for me), it`s entirely up to you.

IF you think it looks OK without doing that, then it does. Much as we get all Autopian about such stuff here...it`s just a cosmetic finishing touch with zero functional significance. There are guys who just use M105/etc. and say "good enough", and if they`re happy with their results then that`s all that matters.
    Accumulator,

First off thank you for always taking the time to answer questions from a complete new “detailer” like me. I have taken the advice you have given me in my threads (and other threads I have read) to my note pad for future reference.

In the Powerlock playing well with 3D speed note. I ended up not buying the Speed yet. Reason being I was looking at some products I had and I found some guides for it to use as an AIO, so I’m going that route for this go around. Always best to save any money you can when you have a 3 and 5 year old to start planning Christmas for.

On any note about the finishing polish. I don’t think I will go that route this time around either. It’s starting to get colder here on Central PA so I’m going to run the product I have for an AIO and then deal it with the Powerlock for the winter. In the spring maybe I’ll do a more complete detail. I’ll see how long everything holds up (mainly how well will the AIO and the Powerlock work together$

Now time to start thinking about winter cleaning and rinseless washes I suppose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Astouffer512- Always glad to help And with those 3 and 5YOs you have *real* priorities to consider! Hey, I`m impressed that you`re not just doing the Disposable Car thing lest you waste..resources...on vehicular cosmetics. IMO just AIOing/LSPing will be plenty and as you said, ?what to do about winter? is already looming large.

I too have old AIOs and I`m still using them up instead of looking for the New Best Thing. Stuff that works, works, and you don`t need to be, uhm...accumulating...redundant products.

Post Thanks / Like

dschribs & SGM2008- Now *there* are some differing takes on the PL!

Post Thanks / Like

Astouffer512- Always glad to help And with those 3 and 5YOs you have *real* priorities to consider! Hey, I`m impressed that you`re not just doing the Disposable Car thing lest you waste..resources...on vehicular cosmetics. IMO just AIOing/LSPing will be plenty and as you said, ?what to do about winter? is already looming large.

I too have old AIOs and I`m still using them up instead of looking for the New Best Thing. Stuff that works, works, and you don`t need to be, uhm...accumulating...redundant products.

Yeah the 2 boys are definitely a real priority in the best sort of way. Amazing how much they pick up and understand that you don’t think someone that age actually would

Funny you should say about the disposable car idea. My vehicle is definitely the disposable vehicle of the family. 2005 equinox with 175K miles on it. When I got into buying stuff for detailing my wife simply said “Why, why waste your time on that hunk of junk!” And I agree, partially....its paid for and will never be a perfect paint job. Good lord knows it isn’t worth spending much on to make it so. However, when we first were married we leased a 2012 Fusion, leased because my wife worked 3 minutes from our apartment. Plan was to upgrade after the lease because a family would have been started by then. Well selfish choices on my end changed that - clean and living for 2+ years now though! We ended up buying the vehicle and now in 2019 we have a car that is in what I say is great condition with less than 55K on it. By next fall we will be upgrading to an SUV and I’ll take over the fusion. With it being in as good of condition it is I wanted to learn how to detail on a test panel - well the equinox fit the bill! So I learned, and still have a ways to go, but I didn’t want my first foray into detailing to be on our nice fusion.

Post Thanks / Like

I never used Power Lock up until about two years ago but I can tell you it is the most user friendly LSP I have EVER used.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Astouffer512 View Post
    Yeah the 2 boys are definitely a real priority in the best sort of way. Amazing how much they pick up and understand that you don’t think someone that age actually would..
    Good on you for recognizing that! Even very young kids can be a lot sharper than many adults think, and they`re learning all the time (for better and worse).

Funny you should say about the disposable car idea. My vehicle is definitely the disposable vehicle of the family. 2005 equinox with 175K miles on it. When I got into buying stuff for detailing my wife simply said “Why, why waste your time on that hunk of junk!” And I agree, partially....its paid for and will never be a perfect paint job...
    My Tahoe was destined for a wholesale auction or even the junkyard, but now strangers come up to me and want to buy it! Same story with my `03 Audi. Surprising what good Detailing can do for a junker, and IMO it helps them last longer (less chance of rust-out) and makes it easier to tell if something`s amiss (e.g., tiny oil leaks are obvious if everything is clean, spot `em before things get serious). And anyhow, who want to drive around in a [crappy] looking car?!?

Oh and once again, good on you! for, uhm...getting your priorities in order 2+ years ago. Easier said than done...

Post Thanks / Like

I never used Power Lock up until about two years ago but I can tell you it is the most user friendly LSP I have EVER used.
    Gee, with stuff like Souveran out there, that`s something!

Post Thanks / Like

Gee, with stuff like Souveran out there, that`s something!
    You got me there... It is on par w Souveran though...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Well. I ended up getting some jescar power lock. I found some on Ebay and got a 16oz bottle for $20. So I think I I`ll just use my CG`s V36 polish. I have a bottle of the V38 that I never used yet. Is a finishing polish and absolute necessary step?

Should I top the power lock with anything like a wax? I am planning on using beadmaker and then incorporating the beadmaker into my drying routine

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    I hope you will try a different polish other than CGs V series. Truthfully they are the worst polishes I have ever tried. Many new detailer (including me) find CGs website before they start reading forums and finding out what the “good” products are. Try Menzerma (FG 400 and 3800) which is one of my favorites or Griots line of polishes, really most any other manufacturer and you will get better results.

To answer your question, the V38 is not going to give you much better results over V36. The V32 should be avoided as it is a “rocks in a bottle” formulation. YMMV.
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

You got me there... [Power Lock].. is on par w Souveran though...
    Well, that`s still impressive. The only Sealant I`ve used that was comparable was UPP and for a "sealant" it sure doesn`t last/protect much better than Souveran IME (sure looks nice though).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I hope you will try a different polish other than CGs V series. Truthfully they are the worst polishes I have ever tried. Many new detailer (including me) find CGs website before they start reading forums and finding out what the “good” products are. Try Menzerma (FG 400 and 3800) which is one of my favorites or Griots line of polishes, really most any other manufacturer and you will get better results.

To answer your question, the V38 is not going to give you much better results over V36. The V32 should be avoided as it is a “rocks in a bottle” formulation. YMMV.
    I won’t disagree or agree with you. But you are right, they are a marketing machine and I did find them first. That being said I did stay away from their cutting compounds the V32 and the V34. I did buy the V36 and the V38 I also bought the VSS (swirl and scratch). For my compound I went with Meg’s 105. I don’t like the 105 though so I will by something different at some point. I feel like the 105 just dries up / flashes (if that’s the word) way too quick for me.
    For the polishes from CG’s I’ll say I like them and was impressed because it is the only ones I have tried and don’t I’ve any complaints, but thank you for the suggestions

And I hope I not coming across as disagreeable and a know it all because that isn’t my intent.

I will purchase some others over winter though when I plan on doing a full detail on our fusion. Are there better polishes for metallic fleck plant over flat color paint?

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t like the 105 though so I will by something different at some point. I feel like the 105 just dries up / flashes (if that’s the word) way too quick for me.
    That`s a pretty common criticism of M105...I seem to be one of the very few who like its short work-time.

... Are there better polishes for metallic fleck plant over flat color paint?
    Clearcoat is clearcoat no matter what it`s over top of Just treat every vehicle like it`s a regular/non-metallic black and you oughta be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

That`s a pretty common criticism of M105...I seem to be one of the very few who like its short work-time.
    I most likely with my in-experience was also working to large of a panel as well. But yeah I doubt I will use it again the next time I use a compound

Clearcoat is clearcoat no matter what it`s over top of Just treat every vehicle like it`s a regular/non-metallic black and you oughta be fine.
    That makes sense. I always read on here and hear the guys I watch in you tube saying about soft paint / hard paint. Are fords known to be either or? Does this effect which brands of compounds / polishes you use?

Post Thanks / Like

I won’t disagree or agree with you. But you are right, they are a marketing machine and I did find them first. That being said I did stay away from their cutting compounds the V32 and the V34. I did buy the V36 and the V38 I also bought the VSS (swirl and scratch). For my compound I went with Meg’s 105. I don’t like the 105 though so I will by something different at some point. I feel like the 105 just dries up / flashes (if that’s the word) way too quick for me.
    For the polishes from CG’s I’ll say I like them and was impressed because it is the only ones I have tried and don’t I’ve any complaints, but thank you for the suggestions

And I hope I not coming across as disagreeable and a know it all because that isn’t my intent.

I will purchase some others over winter though when I plan on doing a full detail on our fusion. Are there better polishes for metallic fleck plant over flat color paint?

Had a friend who had v38 and v36 also. I had essence and griots FCC and CC. I finished my side a lot faster due to machines (g15 and SK mini vs GG6). But all in all looking at finished product under swirl finding light comparable results. We did finish both sides with essence though and I believe it had filling capabilities.

I did tri the V twins with the g15 and I do think griots works longer and stronger. You can get similar results but griots will get you their faster.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information