Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 33
  1. #16
    SGM2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    444
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Which of these "sealants" would you recommend?

    Quote Originally Posted by dschribs View Post
    You will LOVE Powerlock. Goes on easy and removal is effortless. I`ll never go back to using another sealant.
    I used Menzerna Powerlock over 10 years ago and wasn`t all that impressed. Is the newer Jescar formula better?

  2. #17

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    83
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Which of these "sealants" would you recommend?

    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Astouffer512- Ah, hope it plays nice with the Speed, which I`d pretty much expect.



    I failed to address that Q earlier..although some people (e.g., Yours Truly) would always do the Finishing Polish (and I`m mighty picky about which I use, no more M205 for me), it`s entirely up to you.

    IF you think it looks OK without doing that, then it does. Much as we get all Autopian about such stuff here...it`s just a cosmetic finishing touch with zero functional significance. There are guys who just use M105/etc. and say "good enough", and if they`re happy with their results then that`s all that matters.
    Accumulator,

    First off thank you for always taking the time to answer questions from a complete new ďdetailerĒ like me. I have taken the advice you have given me in my threads (and other threads I have read) to my note pad for future reference.

    In the Powerlock playing well with 3D speed note. I ended up not buying the Speed yet. Reason being I was looking at some products I had and I found some guides for it to use as an AIO, so Iím going that route for this go around. Always best to save any money you can when you have a 3 and 5 year old to start planning Christmas for.

    On any note about the finishing polish. I donít think I will go that route this time around either. Itís starting to get colder here on Central PA so Iím going to run the product I have for an AIO and then deal it with the Powerlock for the winter. In the spring maybe Iíll do a more complete detail. Iíll see how long everything holds up (mainly how well will the AIO and the Powerlock work together$

    Now time to start thinking about winter cleaning and rinseless washes I suppose


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #18

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    84,612
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Which of these "sealants" would you recommend?

    Astouffer512- Always glad to help And with those 3 and 5YOs you have *real* priorities to consider! Hey, I`m impressed that you`re not just doing the Disposable Car thing lest you waste..resources...on vehicular cosmetics. IMO just AIOing/LSPing will be plenty and as you said, ?what to do about winter? is already looming large.

    I too have old AIOs and I`m still using them up instead of looking for the New Best Thing. Stuff that works, works, and you don`t need to be, uhm...accumulating...redundant products.

  4. #19

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    84,612
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Which of these "sealants" would you recommend?

    dschribs & SGM2008- Now *there* are some differing takes on the PL!

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    83
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Which of these "sealants" would you recommend?

    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Astouffer512- Always glad to help And with those 3 and 5YOs you have *real* priorities to consider! Hey, I`m impressed that you`re not just doing the Disposable Car thing lest you waste..resources...on vehicular cosmetics. IMO just AIOing/LSPing will be plenty and as you said, ?what to do about winter? is already looming large.

    I too have old AIOs and I`m still using them up instead of looking for the New Best Thing. Stuff that works, works, and you don`t need to be, uhm...accumulating...redundant products.

    Yeah the 2 boys are definitely a real priority in the best sort of way. Amazing how much they pick up and understand that you donít think someone that age actually would

    Funny you should say about the disposable car idea. My vehicle is definitely the disposable vehicle of the family. 2005 equinox with 175K miles on it. When I got into buying stuff for detailing my wife simply said ďWhy, why waste your time on that hunk of junk!Ē And I agree, partially....its paid for and will never be a perfect paint job. Good lord knows it isnít worth spending much on to make it so. However, when we first were married we leased a 2012 Fusion, leased because my wife worked 3 minutes from our apartment. Plan was to upgrade after the lease because a family would have been started by then. Well selfish choices on my end changed that - clean and living for 2+ years now though! We ended up buying the vehicle and now in 2019 we have a car that is in what I say is great condition with less than 55K on it. By next fall we will be upgrading to an SUV and Iíll take over the fusion. With it being in as good of condition it is I wanted to learn how to detail on a test panel - well the equinox fit the bill! So I learned, and still have a ways to go, but I didnít want my first foray into detailing to be on our nice fusion.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #21
    dschribs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1,400
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Which of these "sealants" would you recommend?

    I never used Power Lock up until about two years ago but I can tell you it is the most user friendly LSP I have EVER used.

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    84,612
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Which of these "sealants" would you recommend?

    Quote Originally Posted by Astouffer512 View Post
    Yeah the 2 boys are definitely a real priority in the best sort of way. Amazing how much they pick up and understand that you don’t think someone that age actually would..
    Good on you for recognizing that! Even very young kids can be a lot sharper than many adults think, and they`re learning all the time (for better and worse).

    Funny you should say about the disposable car idea. My vehicle is definitely the disposable vehicle of the family. 2005 equinox with 175K miles on it. When I got into buying stuff for detailing my wife simply said “Why, why waste your time on that hunk of junk!” And I agree, partially....its paid for and will never be a perfect paint job...
    My Tahoe was destined for a wholesale auction or even the junkyard, but now strangers come up to me and want to buy it! Same story with my `03 Audi. Surprising what good Detailing can do for a junker, and IMO it helps them last longer (less chance of rust-out) and makes it easier to tell if something`s amiss (e.g., tiny oil leaks are obvious if everything is clean, spot `em before things get serious). And anyhow, who want to drive around in a [crappy] looking car?!?

    Oh and once again, good on you! for, uhm...getting your priorities in order 2+ years ago. Easier said than done...

  8. #23

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    84,612
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Which of these "sealants" would you recommend?

    Quote Originally Posted by dschribs View Post
    I never used Power Lock up until about two years ago but I can tell you it is the most user friendly LSP I have EVER used.
    Gee, with stuff like Souveran out there, that`s something!

  9. #24
    dschribs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1,400
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Which of these "sealants" would you recommend?

    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Gee, with stuff like Souveran out there, that`s something!
    You got me there... It is on par w Souveran though...

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

  10. #25
    rlmccarty2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Fitzgerald, GA, South East GA
    Posts
    4,449
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Which of these "sealants" would you recommend?

    Quote Originally Posted by Astouffer512 View Post
    Well. I ended up getting some jescar power lock. I found some on Ebay and got a 16oz bottle for $20. So I think I I`ll just use my CG`s V36 polish. I have a bottle of the V38 that I never used yet. Is a finishing polish and absolute necessary step?

    Should I top the power lock with anything like a wax? I am planning on using beadmaker and then incorporating the beadmaker into my drying routine

    Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    I hope you will try a different polish other than CGs V series. Truthfully they are the worst polishes I have ever tried. Many new detailer (including me) find CGs website before they start reading forums and finding out what the ďgoodĒ products are. Try Menzerma (FG 400 and 3800) which is one of my favorites or Griots line of polishes, really most any other manufacturer and you will get better results.

    To answer your question, the V38 is not going to give you much better results over V36. The V32 should be avoided as it is a ďrocks in a bottleĒ formulation. YMMV.
    Likes SWETM liked this post

  11. #26

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    84,612
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Which of these "sealants" would you recommend?

    Quote Originally Posted by dschribs View Post
    You got me there... [Power Lock].. is on par w Souveran though...
    Well, that`s still impressive. The only Sealant I`ve used that was comparable was UPP and for a "sealant" it sure doesn`t last/protect much better than Souveran IME (sure looks nice though).

  12. #27

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    83
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Which of these "sealants" would you recommend?

    Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I hope you will try a different polish other than CGs V series. Truthfully they are the worst polishes I have ever tried. Many new detailer (including me) find CGs website before they start reading forums and finding out what the ďgoodĒ products are. Try Menzerma (FG 400 and 3800) which is one of my favorites or Griots line of polishes, really most any other manufacturer and you will get better results.

    To answer your question, the V38 is not going to give you much better results over V36. The V32 should be avoided as it is a ďrocks in a bottleĒ formulation. YMMV.
    I wonít disagree or agree with you. But you are right, they are a marketing machine and I did find them first. That being said I did stay away from their cutting compounds the V32 and the V34. I did buy the V36 and the V38 I also bought the VSS (swirl and scratch). For my compound I went with Megís 105. I donít like the 105 though so I will by something different at some point. I feel like the 105 just dries up / flashes (if thatís the word) way too quick for me.
    For the polishes from CGís Iíll say I like them and was impressed because it is the only ones I have tried and donít Iíve any complaints, but thank you for the suggestions

    And I hope I not coming across as disagreeable and a know it all because that isnít my intent.

    I will purchase some others over winter though when I plan on doing a full detail on our fusion. Are there better polishes for metallic fleck plant over flat color paint?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #28

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    84,612
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Which of these "sealants" would you recommend?

    Quote Originally Posted by Astouffer512 View Post
    I don’t like the 105 though so I will by something different at some point. I feel like the 105 just dries up / flashes (if that’s the word) way too quick for me.
    That`s a pretty common criticism of M105...I seem to be one of the very few who like its short work-time.

    ... Are there better polishes for metallic fleck plant over flat color paint?
    Clearcoat is clearcoat no matter what it`s over top of Just treat every vehicle like it`s a regular/non-metallic black and you oughta be fine.

  14. #29

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    83
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Which of these "sealants" would you recommend?

    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    That`s a pretty common criticism of M105...I seem to be one of the very few who like its short work-time.
    I most likely with my in-experience was also working to large of a panel as well. But yeah I doubt I will use it again the next time I use a compound

    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Clearcoat is clearcoat no matter what it`s over top of Just treat every vehicle like it`s a regular/non-metallic black and you oughta be fine.
    That makes sense. I always read on here and hear the guys I watch in you tube saying about soft paint / hard paint. Are fords known to be either or? Does this effect which brands of compounds / polishes you use?




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #30

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    652
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Which of these "sealants" would you recommend?

    Quote Originally Posted by Astouffer512 View Post
    I wonít disagree or agree with you. But you are right, they are a marketing machine and I did find them first. That being said I did stay away from their cutting compounds the V32 and the V34. I did buy the V36 and the V38 I also bought the VSS (swirl and scratch). For my compound I went with Megís 105. I donít like the 105 though so I will by something different at some point. I feel like the 105 just dries up / flashes (if thatís the word) way too quick for me.
    For the polishes from CGís Iíll say I like them and was impressed because it is the only ones I have tried and donít Iíve any complaints, but thank you for the suggestions

    And I hope I not coming across as disagreeable and a know it all because that isnít my intent.

    I will purchase some others over winter though when I plan on doing a full detail on our fusion. Are there better polishes for metallic fleck plant over flat color paint?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Had a friend who had v38 and v36 also. I had essence and griots FCC and CC. I finished my side a lot faster due to machines (g15 and SK mini vs GG6). But all in all looking at finished product under swirl finding light comparable results. We did finish both sides with essence though and I believe it had filling capabilities.

    I did tri the V twins with the g15 and I do think griots works longer and stronger. You can get similar results but griots will get you their faster.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Describing "The Look" of Waxes, Sealants , and Coatings
    By Lonnie in forum Car Detailing Product Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-04-2019, 12:02 PM
  2. "Layering Sealants": Fact or Fiction?
    By imported_Luster in forum Waxes, Sealants, and LSP's
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 07-12-2009, 08:38 AM
  3. Can carnauba wax disturb bonding of "cured" sealants?
    By shadaloo in forum Detailing Product Reviews
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-11-2007, 03:19 PM
  4. Confused : please recommend synthtic polish "system"
    By mangler in forum Car Detailing Product Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-05-2007, 07:26 AM
  5. Does FPII leave a "clean" surface for sealants?
    By imported_NHBFAN in forum Car Detailing Product Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-12-2006, 01:11 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •