Post Thanks / Like

Saver applicator question

Okay, so I`ve seen numerous people here recommend these for applying coatings, I see they offer them in Microfiber and Suede. They`re the exact same price, and reading the description I don`t know which to order. I know the few coatings I`ve applied came with suede applicators, and that`s about my knowledge there. I Googled and didn`t see any threads anywhere comparing the 2. I`m assuming someone here has used both and can comment.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Saver applicator question

Get the microfiber versions.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes quebert, Coatings=crack liked this post
    Thanks quebert thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Microfiber works better for me. More even I feel.
    Likes quebert liked this post
    Thanks quebert thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

See, left to my own I would have assumed the suede ones were better, they have smooth in the name. But 2 of the best of the best here say the terry ones are better. Note to self, in the future just think about what I`d do, then do the exact opposite.

Thank you guys, now I can move on to obsessing over the next detail of products I`ll need to start my company. Should be up and going by this time 2021 lol.
    Likes Coatings=crack, The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed with Mike and Guz. Suede ones were more grabby. The MF took a little more coating to “prime” at first to me but being new to coatings also probably way over applied

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes The Guz liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I have used suede from CarPro for years and it actually works great for me.. It is not grabby or anything.. And I like that since it is thin, it will not absorb all that expensive coating and keep it in..

I also put my applicator - https://www.autopia-carcare.com/tuf-...l#.XaiggZKpH3g inside a nitrile glove, and wrap the suede around it.. So there is no other source of coating absorption going on..

I really want as much coating on the paintwork as possible with each pass. It`s expensive product and the Client should be able to get all of it.. I don`t like to waste stuff..

This orange sponge is really nice and made so it is not as absorbent as most sponges.. It`s of course perfect for applying the Tuf-Shine Clearcoat..
    Dan F
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Despite what you think, the microfiber in my opinion absorbs very little. I see no difference in how much coating is applied to the vehicle. And I can assure you that my clients receive all that they pay for! And if you look at my Modesta write ups, you will see we use the entire bottle. As Modesta insists.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, why do you say that - "Despite what you think," ?

My post is just my experiences, as yours are, right ? I am not saying that you or anyone is not doing a great job here..

It just makes sense to me that thicker things are going to absorb more of anything, than thinner things..

Of course, no one can see how much of a clear coating is applied, unless perhaps, they did very accurate thickness measurements right before the coating process, then left it alone to completely cure, and remeasure the same places again, right ?

So, I do what I do, and you do what you do.. Everyone uses great processes and innovation to make their work the best.. It`s all good, Mike..

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Easy boys, lol. I’ve only used the microfiber ones that I bought on Amazon and I thought they did absorb too much coating material. I haven’t got around to the suedes yet. I thought the suedes had a plastic insert in them to keep them from absorbing the coating product?

I’m glad we are discussing these before I buy a dozen of the suede applicators.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Easy boys, lol. I’ve only used the microfiber ones that I bought on Amazon and I thought they did absorb too much coating material. I haven’t got around to the suedes yet. I thought the suedes had a plastic insert in them to keep them from absorbing the coating product?

They both have the plastic insert. These are the applicators from auto fiber I’m talking about. The MF and suede are the same price so that’s why I was asking

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Well, I have used suede from CarPro for years and it actually works great for me.. It is not grabby or anything.. And I like that since it is thin, it will not absorb all that expensive coating and keep it in..

I also put my applicator - https://www.autopia-carcare.com/tuf-...l#.XaiggZKpH3g inside a nitrile glove, and wrap the suede around it.. So there is no other source of coating absorption going on..

I really want as much coating on the paintwork as possible with each pass. It`s expensive product and the Client should be able to get all of it.. I don`t like to waste stuff..

This orange sponge is really nice and made so it is not as absorbent as most sponges.. It`s of course perfect for applying the Tuf-Shine Clearcoat..
    Dan F
    Dan I used the suede block and applicator for a long time and I also tried the method you mentioned and these aufober saver applicators are just easier to handle without absorbing a lot of product. Once I started to use them I started to see how clunky it is to use the suede block and applicator. Another nice thing is no need to worry about holding onto the suede applicator around the block.

These tuf shine applicators are nice and they work good with most tire coatings.

We all have a preference when it comes to applicators.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    Despite what you think, the microfiber in my opinion absorbs very little. I see no difference in how much coating is applied to the vehicle. And I can assure you that my clients receive all that they pay for! And if you look at my Modesta write ups, you will see we use the entire bottle. As Modesta insists.
    I am going to have to agree.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post

Are you referring to the autofiber microfiber applicators or a typical microfiber applicator? The autofiber applicators have the plastic lining which will not allow the product to be absorbed into the foam core.

I will say the microfiber version does not absorb any more product than the suede version. I always end up with the same amount of coating left over in the bottle with either version. The microfiber version glides better across the paint but also spreads the product better along the painted surface. The suede tends to drag more and does not spread as well. The microfiber version is also a bit more pliable.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Even if the micro fibers absorb more in the beginning once saturated the won’t absorb any more than the suedes. If their is more product use it’s initial application and I can assure that it’s very little.

With the application being smoother the miniscule amount it may use more is well worth it.

Stokdgs, you should give the savers a shot. They are way easier to use compared to the method you mentioned. Because of soft foam core they contour over body lines way better and get into tight spaces (under door handles) a lot easier. Not knocking the standard method you mentioned but Autofiber built a better mouse trap..

Not a professional or do for pay but if you do it will save you a ton of time.... time is money for you and your customers.

Thread Information