Post Thanks / Like

Silk Edge Microfibers

Does any one use - or have an opinion on - MF`s w silk edges?

I noticed Microfiber Tech has a few that look nice and the Poorboy`s Deluxe Mega towels actually have silk edges as well.

I always found my edgeless towels start linting after awhile so I`d like to try something else.

Thanks!
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Silk Edge Microfibers

The vast majority of my MFs have those. I`m careful to fold them so the "silk" (scare-quotes intentional, no idea what the edges are really made of) never touches the paint. But then, I`ve never CD-tested the edges to see whether that`s really necessary.

But I`ve never had any plush MF (other than the Griot`s PFMs for Glass) that didn`t eventually lint, regardless of how the edges were done.

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator - if you`re ok w them that`s all I need to hear. My OCD hasn`t gotten quite to your level yet....but I fear I`m getting there as I get older.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dschribs View Post
    Accumulator - if you`re ok w them that`s all I need to hear. My OCD hasn`t gotten quite to your level yet....but I fear I`m getting there as I get older.
    Well, I wouldn`t want you to switch to the Silk Edge ones with the expectation of it cutting down on the shedding/linting. And just because *I* don`t mind carefully folding/refolding my MFs doesn`t mean it`d appeal to somebody else!

FWIW, next time I buy MFs for Detailing use (as opposed to Household), I`ll almost certainly buy Edgeless ones just to save myself that folding-hassle.

And, heh heh...the older I get, the less, uhm...Autopian (deliberately avoiding the term "OCD" )...I think I`m being, at least compared to many people here. And/but I`m also less tolerant of things that`re a hassle, hence my inclination to buy Edgeless next time (if there is a next time).

EDIT: I will say that those Silk Edges seem a lot better than the "stitched with nasty thick synthetic thread" ones. Which I`m even more careful about folding. So...yeah, if that`s what you`re choosing between (Edgeless vs. Stitched) then the Silk Edge ones would probably be worth considering if only to see how *you* find them compared to the Edgeless. Just don`t buy a gross of `em the first time
    Likes dschribs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

I just ordered a 10 pack of Creature Edgeless. Waiting on them now.

It seems to me the ones w the bound edges would keep their shape a bit more.

Post Thanks / Like

I always liked the "microfiber" edge...some years ago I was taken to task by Ian at MFT for calling them "microfiber" and he said they were "cloth". I`m talking about the suedey edges. Of course TRC now has an edge they call Microfiber Suede, and MFT subsequently came out with MicroEdge banding which they say is true microfiber.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never had a silk edge from TRC or from the Griot`s PFM scratch my car, I cannot say that about silk edges from other companies *cough, LMF Sucker, cough*, *cough, Auto Finesse, cough*

Post Thanks / Like

Its the threads that the silk edges are sown on with that are more of a concern.

Post Thanks / Like

If planning to let the edges (or their stitching, a *very* good point) touch the paint, I would...same ol` same ol`... CD-test them.

Thread Information