Post Thanks / Like

Leather restore product or dye option?

A005DD2A-B679-4D25-8E4E-72EACBBAE17D.jpeg

My driver’s door leather panel section is quite ugly to look at. I’m guessing the previous owner applied a harsh chemical to it. Is there a remedy for it? I’ve tried leather cleaner and conditioner with no luck. Is there such thing as leather dye or a product that will restore its OEM look?

Thanks!

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leather restore product or dye option?

Quote Originally Posted by finalfan7asy View Post
    A005DD2A-B679-4D25-8E4E-72EACBBAE17D.jpeg

My driver’s door leather panel section is quite ugly to look at. I’m guessing the previous owner applied a harsh chemical to it. Is there a remedy for it? I’ve tried leather cleaner and conditioner with no luck. Is there such thing as leather dye or a product that will restore its OEM look?

Thanks!
    Welcome to the Forum, finalfan7asy !

Looking at the panel, I think it might be that the previous owner`s arm, hand, rested there and left that..
    What year, make, model vehicle ? What is the name of the product/s you tried on this ? What was the process you used with those products on it ?
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Welcome to the Forum, finalfan7asy !

Looking at the panel, I think it might be that the previous owner`s arm, hand, rested there and left that..
    What year, make, model vehicle ? What is the name of the product/s you tried on this ? What was the process you used with those products on it ?
    Dan F
    Thanks for the welcome! It’s a 2014 BMW M6. I’ve used Chemical Guys leather cleaner and their leather conditioner. I applied both with a microfiber cloth.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by finalfan7asy View Post
    Thanks for the welcome! It’s a 2014 BMW M6. I’ve used Chemical Guys leather cleaner and their leather conditioner. I applied both with a microfiber cloth.
    I have never used that brand leather cleaner and conditioner.. When you rubbed the cleaner in, and wiped if off with another towel, what was the color of the gunk, etc., that came off on that towel ?
    I`m trying to determine the cleaning ability of your product.. Did you scrub the microfiber cloth over the leather parts for a while or what ?
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

It is very hard to tell without seeing the vehicle in person. I agree it looks like where the previous owner rested their arm. I could still be dirty. I cleaned a BMW leather steering wheel you would have sworn the leather was coming off but it was just the accumulated oils from the drivers hands. The vehicle is quite new for the leather to be wearing off. I have two 2011 BMWs with no signs of leather deterioration.

Take a white cotton towel with the leather cleaner and rub it moderately again and see if any dirt comes off. The leather cleaner you have is ok. Most leather cleaners are mild and do not have much cleaning power.

If cleaning does not work leather dye is available. I have never tried to dye leather, I have just seen it for sale on Amazon. Hopefully someone here has done it before. There used to be a leather expert that chimed in often.

Post Thanks / Like

It`s not too terrible from viewing the pic afar. How does that compare to where you would see more wear like the top of the center console, drivers bolster and or even the steering wheel (ahem.....I have changed steering wheels to new ones) if it get`s too smooth or hand oily.....I love the feel of ~new~ pristine steering wheels !

A leather pro can respray/recoat that, but depending on your OCD, it may be better leaving it alone and if you have it sprayed, I would do both doors so the color is consistent (same concept like in bodywork where other panels are blended in, paint matched to aged UV, etc so it. They will to to sand the panel (to add some toothiness so the new coating properly adheres).

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve only applied the leather cleaner gently with a microfiber cloth. I was afraid of causing more damage. This door panel has seen better days. I needed to replace the switch bezel and door pull because they both were gouged really bad. The door handle also has a deep scratch in it. The rest of the interior looks brand new.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information