Post Thanks / Like

A Turtle Wax Detail

Yesterday, I detailed my Mother in Law`s 2010 Ford Edge. This car is the definition of neglected as I am the only one to clean it and she only has me do it once (MAYBE twice a year), otherwise it`s untouched - which could be a good thing as there are no swirl-o-matic car washes or hack detailers involved in its care.

With my recent obsession with Turtle products, I decided to do a total Turtle polishing & waxing of the car. The only non-Turtle products used were Meg`s Hyper Wash for the paintwork and Purple Power for the wheels and tires.

I should have clayed the car, but I just didn`t want to Anyhow, After washing the car (it was literally squeaky clean afterwards - there is NOTHING on the paint), I broke out the Turtle Wax *Clean Finish Polishing Compound. Using my PC and a Meguiar`s thin foam polishing pad, I put 3 - 4 pea sized drops on the pad, spread it around on the surface, then started polishing. There was no drama involved, the polish simply did as it was supposed to do. Work time was excellent and even in a few areas that were in direct sunlight, it performed perfectly. It was never hard to remove and it didn`t leave anything behind except a flawless finish - no smearing or difficulty removing it, even in the sunlight. No dusting, no drama.

The car looked awesome after just the polishing, literally a showroom finish. I put two applications of Seal N Shine on the paint, about 30 minutes apart and took a break before starting a minor cleaning of the interior. When the interior was finished, I wiped down the paint with Turtle ICE Spray Detailer. There were a few streaks and some light smearing from the SNS and the Spray Detailer removed them all. No real improvement in shine or gloss over the appearance the polish created from the application of the SNS.

The tires were treated with Turtle Wet and Black Tire Protectant and as per the instructions, I let it "set up" for a few minutes after application prior to driving the car to prevent sling.

Sorry there are no "Sun Shots," but I was racing the weather and the sky had completely clouded over.

I will admit, I might have used my MIL`s car as a guinea pig for the Polishing Compound, I couldn`t just use it on the Camaro without testing it out first now could I?

Long story short: I think the Clean Finish Polishing Compound is a winner. I definitely see a future with it in my detailing adventures.

And now for the pics - like I said, overcast skies and I wanted to deliver the car before the rain hit, so my MIL could see the results so I only took a few.

Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Likes kevk, Diner, GearHead_1, Loach, bofh and 5 others liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A Turtle Wax Detail

Don- I enjoyed reading this one! Good on you for doing her vehicle, and I`m glad the TW stuff performed to spec.

And IMO you didn`t really cut a corner by not claying, sounds like it turned out fine without a separate decontamination step. Claying isn`t necesarilly necessary every time even if (clay-selling) vendors want us to think so.
    Likes Don, jester7677 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job , car looks great.
    Thanks Don thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator, Thanks. Her car NEEDED done, and I NEEDED an excuse to use the polishing compound on something, so it all worked out.

I followed the example of the APEX Detail video showcasing the same product - using less product, three or four (large) pea sized drops ... I normally would make a full circle of product on the pad ... and speed 6 on the PC. I knew not to expect to get any real heavy correction, but since her car is only touched by me, there was no heavy correction needing done.

Just for fun, here`s the video that tipped the scales for me and convinced me to go ahead and try the TW Polishing Compound

Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Don- True Confession Time...I didn`t watch the whole (15 minute!) video but I *did* FF/pause through it though, which is still something for me! Wanted to see what got you interested in the stuff.

I dunno though, it wouldn`t have motivated me to try it, if only because of his Inspection Conditions (I can`t *really* tell how things turned out no matter what his GlossMeter says). And moreover, what I could see looked, uhm...unimpressive (not talking about the residual marring but rather how it looked overall). Eh, sheesh do I sound negative But I really do like that TW is bringing good stuff to market. ANYHOO......

The important thing is that *you* did try it, and liked how it worked for you!

That "use less product" reminds me of the 3D abrasives I use, they definitely work best if I use less.
    Likes Don liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m glad I`m not the only TW fanboy! I`m waiting for the compound to go on sale, and I`ll grab a bottle. I wish TW still had an acid wheel cleaner, you could do a poor mans decond with that followed by their high PH Maxx Power car wash. Follow with compound and then ICE paste topped with SNS.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Don- True Confession Time...I didn`t watch the whole (15 minute!) video but I *did* FF/pause through it though, which is still something for me! Wanted to see what got you interested in the stuff.

I dunno though, it wouldn`t have motivated me to try it, if only because of his Inspection Conditions (I can`t *really* tell how things turned out no matter what his GlossMeter says). And moreover, what I could see looked, uhm...unimpressive (not talking about the residual marring but rather how it looked overall). Eh, sheesh do I sound negative But I really do like that TW is bringing good stuff to market. ANYHOO......

The important thing is that *you* did try it, and liked how it worked for you!

That "use less product" reminds me of the 3D abrasives I use, they definitely work best if I use less.

I agree that the lighting could have been better for the "reveal" but I was still able to see the outcome very clearly on the "less abused" sections of the panel which are primarily the types of paint finishes I deal with.

In the video description, he says that he wanted to show what it CAN and what it CAN`T do and from what I saw, the end results on that badly abused panel impressed me enough that I decided to give it a try on a "reasonably" well kept finish and as you saw, it worked great.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I`m glad I`m not the only TW fanboy! I`m waiting for the compound to go on sale, and I`ll grab a bottle. I wish TW still had an acid wheel cleaner, you could do a poor mans decond with that followed by their high PH Maxx Power car wash. Follow with compound and then ICE paste topped with SNS.
    I`m well on my way to becoming a TW fanboy I originally wanted to try the ICE Speed Compound, but the NEED struck me before it was available and I HAD to have some Turtle Wax polish or compound, then I saw that video and I HAD to get it.

Ever since I saw Pan the Organizer`s video on SNS, I`ve been hooked and more than a little interested in what TW has to offer and I`m definitely NOT sorry.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

nice work! And where the hell were the dudes like Brian from Apex or Jimbo or Dallas Paint Correction when I got into detailing 6`ish years ago. Back then just mentioning a company like TW would get you practically lynched. All I seem to remember was being told I need to buy Polish Angel, Gyeon etc. And everything OTC was horrible horrible horrible. lol
    Likes Don liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by quebert View Post
    nice work! And where the hell were the dudes like Brian from Apex or Jimbo or Dallas Paint Correction when I got into detailing 6`ish years ago. Back then just mentioning a company like TW would get you practically lynched. All I seem to remember was being told I need to buy Polish Angel, Gyeon etc. And everything OTC was horrible horrible horrible. lol
    6 years ago most OTC stuff was pretty bad, lol. It’s nice that TW(and others) are releasing products that are good quality products at a good price.
    Likes Stokdgs, SWETM, Don liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by quebert View Post
    A lot of people just hate on TW and somewhat so on Meguiars. I can under$tand the motivation when you are trying to put your$elf on a pedestal as a premium detailer, you want to shun stuff available at Walmart. That said TW was always capable of good things, their platinum line 10+ years ago was excellent.

Post Thanks / Like

Don- Yeah, what impressed *me* is that it worked so well for *you*

Thread Information