Post Thanks / Like

ZAIO under FK1000p?

Anyone tried this? I seem to remember someone trying it. Those that have, results? Any cure time between ZAIO and 1000p?

thanks
    2021 VW GLI Autobahn

Pure Gray/Black

Protected by 303 Graphene

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ZAIO under FK1000p?

I don`t see why there would be any problem doing this. Cure time? Maybe.

Why are you doing this instead of just applying FK1000p? You have some light defects you want to remove with the ZAIO before you top? Then I wouldn`t worry about cure time. I think I remember you from the old days and your join date certainly indicates that. I have to say that all the endless discussions we had here about Dawn wash, and what product would interfere with what...were kind of made ridiculously moot to me by some threads that I think were on AGO.

The gist was that sealants are ridiculously hard to (chemically) remove, surfactants like Dawn leave residue that make it look like the surface is "bare", but isn`t, etc. Bottom line, unless you are abrasively polishing, back in the old days when you did a Dawn wash to remove your wax or sealant in preparation for Zaino...you were likely just adding a layer of Dawn surfactants on top of your existing LSP, then putting your Zaino on top of that. Factor that into your durability results and you can see we were just spinning our wheels in the old days.

My take is that products are so good today there isn`t much point in worrying about this stuff. Use your ZAIO, wait or don`t wait, top with FK. Of course...don`t listen to me, what do I know.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

There was an article years ago call the perfect shine it talked about the whole sealant under wax debate. It pointed out that most waxes have heavy solvents that effected the sealants durability. The only wax that was recommended over a sealant was p21 because it did not have the harsh petro solvents. So the folks doing powerlock then 845 would probably get better results using power lock then p21 over the top. Soft 99 makes a solvent free wax called hydro wax it was created for the same reason. Soft 99 actually went as far as stating the solvents in most waxes are harsh enough to even effect ceramic coatings so they hydro wax specifically to top ceramic coating that a paste wax but uses water as carrier. If its still out there "the perfect shine" was a great read
    Likes wannafbody liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve done that combo quite a few times, works well, no issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William_Wallace View Post
    There was an article years ago call the perfect shine it talked about the whole sealant under wax debate. It pointed out that most waxes have heavy solvents that effected the sealants durability. The only wax that was recommended over a sealant was p21 because it did not have the harsh petro solvents. So the folks doing powerlock then 845 would probably get better results using power lock then p21 over the top. Soft 99 makes a solvent free wax called hydro wax it was created for the same reason. Soft 99 actually went as far as stating the solvents in most waxes are harsh enough to even effect ceramic coatings so they hydro wax specifically to top ceramic coating that a paste wax but uses water as carrier. If its still out there "the perfect shine" was a great read
    "The Perfect Shine" was coined by the founder of this forum, who not only wrote that article but used it as his company name. In that case he used the article to sell Klasse and P21S. Klasse SG is a bit different than Power Lock, etc. Based on more current information, I`d say that the ability of the solvents in a wax to remove a cross-linked sealant are a bit overstated, but whatever.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I`ve done that combo quite a few times, works well, no issues.
    That`s what I do 99.9% of the time...unless I`m just reapplying the FK1000P without doing anything other than a wash beforehand.

I seldom wait for the ZAIO to "cure" (scare-quotes intentional as I don`t know if it really does that) unless I`m putting off the FK until the next day. Never seems to matter.

I`d expect most any AIO to work fine under FK1000P. Even products that "should" (again, s-q intentional) cause issues never have for me; the `93 Audi has Fk1000P over top of the old 1ZWaxPolishSoft, which leaves lots of [who-knows-what] behind. IIRC, the late Rohkh said that the FK works fine over Essence, and there have been other OK combos that I can`t recall...

Quote Originally Posted by William_Wallace
    There was an article years ago call the perfect shine it talked about the whole sealant under wax debate. It pointed out that most waxes have heavy solvents that effected the sealants durability.
    While certain combos, even some unexpected ones (e.g., Souveran over top of Collinite 476S of all things!) can indeed go sideways, I never had a wax compromise an underlying sealant. NO, NO...I`m not arguing! And I sure haven`t tried many combos as I consider the whole "wax over sealant" to be a waste of..everything. I`m just saying that it`s hard to predict what will/won`t work, so first-hand experience with specific combos is pretty much mandatory IMO. Fortunately, *somebody* here has probably tried most any combo you can think of

And Setec Astronomy brings up a very good point: Consider the Source.

(I have never had *ANY* issues with David B. I like/respect him. BUT...a) yeah, that article`s old and things have come a long way, and b) he was a vendor and I take *EVERYTHING* that *ANYBODY WHO SELLS THIS STUFF* says with a shaker-full of salt. Oh, one big exception: Ron Ketcham, formerly of FK and retired from ValuGard; Ron`s always been willing to call his own baby ugly when it was; his opinions never changed based on who signed his paycheck, and/but that`s awfully rare.)

Didn`t David`s Perfect Shine Combo use just the KAIO topped with P21S? I mean..and no, I don`t recall from way back then...no wax is gonna compromise cured KSG, at least not IMO, that stuff is a PIA to strip with the proper products when you want to!

Using M16, *via Cyclo* didn`t mess up either KAIO or KSG for me, and M16 has some...stuff..in it that does the "paste wax that turns liquid" thing when applied aggressively.

Eh, Souveran is known to be an outlier, compromising 476S is unusual but it`s known to do that. BUT I`ve used Souveran over top of various AIOs with zero issues at all.

Consider that "Wax over Glaze" was a longstanding approach that seldom went sideways. And/but Glazes are awfully easy to compromise. Most Pre-Wax Cleaners leave some glaze-like stuff behind, but that`s not a problem either.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I don`t really think AIO has much of any correction ability but does have some cleaning ability.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    I don`t really think AIO has much of any correction ability but does have some cleaning ability.
    Yeah, agree completely. I can`t say that I`ve *EVER* had any AIO do any correction. Not a bit. People say ZAIO will do it, but not for me on my paints. The ones I`ve used do make for really good Paint Cleaners though, and they`re just *SO* easy to use as prep for the FK when no correction is needed.

Thread Information