Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: CarPro Trix help

Wondering if it`s the tar remover solvents part that is what have what I think is a chemical etching. These applyied even on a modern clearcoat in the sun gets aggressive fast when the suns hits it. Tar removers can desolve some paints. And since it`s an old clearcoat I think that is what could have happened sadly.

I`m surely hope I`m wrong with what I think it is. Contact Carpro and see what they says. And or if anyone else have a knowledge of what it is.

To correct it if it`s chemical etching. It`s not more than compounding so you come down under the etching. Maybe even wet sanding if it`s a lot of clearcoat that needs to be leveled down. This is the last way out and see if you get any other suggestions that are more gentle. Do you have a paint thickness gauge PTG? Maybe not so much of help on a repainted car. If the restoration pictures you have don`t if the sanded the old paint off. But it can help you out with knowing the amount of clearcoat you abrade off. If you have an account on AGO maybe ask a question to Mike Phillips. And see if he has a better way to sort it out.

But contact Carpro first and see what they says about it.

Did you noticed if the TRIX did dry on the paint?

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the detailed reply Tony. I’m very careful in making sure it doesn’t dry and I really don’t think it did, but anything is possible.

I spoke with Corey from CarPro and he offered a few suggestions on what to try from
    A cleaner polish to putting some trix on a microfiber and rubbing the affected area and quickly neutralizing it immediately after but none seemed to work. He was baffled regarding why this may have happened and advised that he had never seen this before. Ultimately according to Corey and the general consensus, it appears that it is going to need to be compounded and perhaps wet sanded like you said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe ask Mike Phillips on Autogeek. he has a ton of experience with older muscle cars with all sorts of paints. Good luck
    Thanks reaper8253 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Waiting for the activation at auto geek in order to ask Mike

Likes SWETM liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

It all depends on what type paint was used and if it had several coats of clear on top or was it just mixed in with the last layers of paint..

Certainly, back in the acrylic lacquer/enamel days, strong stuff like that would have probably torn through the acrylic lacquer for sure, perhaps not so easy on the acrylic enamel because it was not as soft..

After the above paints, the next thing that came out was Urethane (airplane paint), paint, and that is when I left the business because I didn`t want to die from inhaling that stuff..
    Nothing could ever hurt that paint, I know this from Detailing a couple of Airplanes..

You mentioned going over it with microfiber - what level microfiber, and what product did you use on it ?

I know all about the Flex 3401VRG having purchased one right after they came out over 10 years ago..

If something like a Rotary and a compound does not even change this, I am also afraid it may have to be carefully wet-block-sanded down with a guide coat, (so you can see what you are doing), and hope that the product is removed.. You could perhaps find a spot down on the lower part of a fender, etc., and test a small spot there..

Sorry this had to happen to you and your car..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

So hopefully the products will arrive today. But I’m going to attempt to use meguairs microfiber pads with Menzerna 400. This was suggested by a reputable retailer who has worked on this cars finish in the past. I would have already brought the car to him but he’s over two hours away. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    After the above paints, the next thing that came out was Urethane (airplane paint), paint, and that is when I left the business because I didn`t want to die from inhaling that stuff..
    Nothing could ever hurt that paint, I know this from Detailing a couple of Airplanes..
    Ha ha, DuPont Imron...and yeah, polyisocyanates...the reason I don`t want to use that new Optimum Clearcoat Restorer. I think modern clearcoat is really pretty similar to Imron, I mean they are both two-part polyurethanes, although Imron and its brethren do seem a lot tougher than clearcoat. You are supposed to use an air-fed respirator with that stuff.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Ha ha, DuPont Imron...and yeah, polyisocyanates...the reason I don`t want to use that new Optimum Clearcoat Restorer. I think modern clearcoat is really pretty similar to Imron, I mean they are both two-part polyurethanes, although Imron and its brethren do seem a lot tougher than clearcoat. You are supposed to use an air-fed respirator with that stuff.
    Yes ! Dupont Imron !!!
    The shop I worked out of could barely keep us in just osha respirators with new filters.. I knew I was not going to be doing that stuff..

I can tell you that whatever version of that paint they use on airplanes is the best paint ever.. You cannot kill it with sun, weather, anything..

I used I think around 50-60 6-inch Lake Country Purple Foam Wool Pads on it with Meguiars 105, and that paint killed all those pads to nothing left..

But it did come out beautiful !! Then Meguiars 205, L/C White Flat Pads for the win..
    After killing yourself on those long wings, then you have to now do the underside of those dang things..

It was so beautiful, the owner pulled it right out of the hangar and took pictures of it..

All those zillion rivets did not help pad longevity much either..

Have not done any research on that Optimum product.. Not sure how anything sold to everyone otc can actually be a real clearcoat restorer..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by reaper8253 View Post
    So hopefully the products will arrive today. But I’m going to attempt to use meguairs microfiber pads with Menzerna 400. This was suggested by a reputable retailer who has worked on this cars finish in the past. I would have already brought the car to him but he’s over two hours away. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I really hope that the compounding is enough for level down the chemical etching. And I trust you on when saying you don`t let it dry on the paint. I think it`s the solvents in the TRIX that did desolve the clearcoat you have on the car. I have used tar remover on touch up paints that you could see the kind of run off etching you have. For modern clearcoat it`s not a problem to use a tar remover. I think many times how something like Drcolorship stands up to petroleum based tar removers. Or if it`s just desolves these parts where it was used.

I feel for you man! And sure holds my both thumbs that you are able to fix this.

Is it the VRG3401 you are going to be polishing with? Some mf cutting pads I have only heard can be not a so good match. Maybe have in thought if you found out it`s not cutting enough and if you have a heavy cutting foam pad at hand or LC Purple Foamed Wool Pad or the LC Low Lint Wool Pad is great on the VRG3401. Just if you don`t get the desired results that is.

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tony,

I do have some aggressive foam pads I just think the polish wasn’t aggressive enough. I was recommended the megs microfiber pads by the only detailer to touch this cars paint other than me. So I’m assuming it will be ok. Only time will tell. I’m still waiting for my order to come in, so much for expedited shipping...... thanks for your help and well wishes man. Much appreciated -Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Tony is right, the Flex 3401 and microfiber pads do not go together. They work great with a RO machine, the Flex pushes the MF knap down so it does not abraid the the surface correctly. Mike Phillips explains it better than me. A wool pad would work better with the Flex.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys just wanted to give you an update of how I
    made it. I went super slow but I got pretty decent results you really have to look close to see it. Some of the spots were on really tough concave areas but other than that I feel it’s 100 times better then it was. Thanks again for all the advice.

Likes SWETM, mc2hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m very glad to hear that you got it sorted out!

Your car looks awesome!

/ Tony
    Likes reaper8253 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful car and great work!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information