Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum Gloss Coat vs Cquartz Uk 3.0

Do you think some of the issues people have with Gloss Coat are due to not using Hyper Polish, which apparently contains a catalyst to help the coating bond? I just randomly looked up Gloss Coat and some people did get great hydrophobics out of it.

Optimum Gloss coat water beading - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CleanIt View Post
    Do you think some of the issues people have with Gloss Coat are due to not using Hyper Polish, which apparently contains a catalyst to help the coating bond? I just randomly looked up Gloss Coat and some people did get great hydrophobics out of it.

I think you are over-interpreting what Hyper Polish does. I think one of the ingredients happens to help the Optimum coatings bond, I wouldn`t call it a catalyst, more like a happy coincidence. Yvan`s marketing mumbo-jumbo may have made it sound like a "catalyst", but that`s not the way I read it between the lines. Besides, aren`t you supposed to be cleaning the surface with a prep wipe after using the Hyper Polish?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I think you are over-interpreting what Hyper Polish does. I think one of the ingredients happens to help the Optimum coatings bond, I wouldn`t call it a catalyst, more like a happy coincidence. Yvan`s marketing mumbo-jumbo may have made it sound like a "catalyst", but that`s not the way I read it between the lines. Besides, aren`t you supposed to be cleaning the surface with a prep wipe after using the Hyper Polish?
    Thanks, yes you`re technically supposed to remove all polishing residual oils etc. However, I`ve read that if using Hyper you don`t. I don`t know if that is true or not. That may be taking "synergy" too far lol.

I`m getting mixed reviews on Gloss Coat, but some have really gotten good performance out of it which makes me wonder what they are doing differently.

Post Thanks / Like

It is a cop out by Optimum so that they don`t take the hit for the coating under performing. Hyper Polish contains no catalyst. It is a pure finishing polish. Just as it was stated that the Optimum Panel Prep contained a catalyst when it is IPA among things. Again a cop out to force the user to stay within the Optimum product synergy.

Product synergy is good and all but there are other brands that don`t have a dedicated polish in their coating line up and one doesn`t see them pointing the finger like Optimum did/does. It was not only Yvan that did this but Dann Williams when he was at Optimum.

I do agree that no oily polish should be used when using a coating as it takes more wipes to fully remove it.

Anyway Gloss Coat was hyped pretty well but just falls short compared to other coatings. I have not used it nor will I use it again based on my experience with it. And I am in Southern California where the weather is nice most of the year.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes CleanIt liked this post
    Thanks CleanIt thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    It is a cop out by Optimum so that they don`t take the hit for the coating under performing. Hyper Polish contains no catalyst. It is a pure finishing polish. Just as it was stated that the Optimum Panel Prep contained a catalyst when it is IPA among things. Again a cop out to force the user to stay within the Optimum product synergy.

Product synergy is good and all but there are other brands that don`t have a dedicated polish in their coating line up and one doesn`t see them pointing the finger like Optimum did/does. It was not only Yvan that did this but Dann Williams when he was at Optimum.

I do agree that no oily polish should be used when using a coating as it takes more wipes to fully remove it.

Anyway Gloss Coat was hyped pretty well but just falls short compared to other coatings. I have not used it nor will I use it again based on my experience with it. And I am in Southern California where the weather is nice most of the year.
    Thanks Guz, that`s disappointing to hear. I guess I can delete my other post over at AG then knowing this.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are interested in it then try it. You may get good results with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I`d join your boycott but I think I might not buy whatever comes out. The consumer spray "ceramics" are getting so good that I don`t think there is any reason for me to go back to a coating. They work as a drying aid and last 3-6 months. I keep asking myself what do I need a coating for?
    They really have. The beading on Megs HCD and m799 Bead Booster is fantastic. Likely better than Gloss Coat. Sonax PNS is another one.

Post Thanks / Like

I personally find that to be obnoxious that they would go to that level to say you need to use their polish for best results.
    I doubt there is a vendor on the planet who wouldn`t recommend you using their full line of products. They all do it. It really makes sense because all of the product testing they do is centered around the other products in their line. It`s the only conditions they can guarantee will work. Optimum wouldn`t spend time testing their coating after polishing with Griots polishes when they already have their own line of polishes. Will they overstate the advantages? Most likely, but it is simply so you will do all your shopping with their brand. There is no way they would recommend a competitor and even state the competitors products are acceptable.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes CleanIt, Rsurfer liked this post
    Thanks Rsurfer thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I doubt there is a vendor on the planet who wouldn`t recommend you using their full line of products. They all do it. It really makes sense because all of the product testing they do is centered around the other products in their line. It`s the only conditions they can guarantee will work. Optimum wouldn`t spend time testing their coating after polishing with Griots polishes when they already have their own line of polishes. Will they overstate the advantages? Most likely, but it is simply so you will do all your shopping with their brand. There is no way they would recommend a competitor and even state the competitors products are acceptable.
    Oh I totally agree with you but to state that their coating wouldn`t bond as well because you used another brand polish/panel wipe seems to be a bit of a stretch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Very well said.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I totally agree with you but to state that their coating wouldn`t bond as well because you used another brand polish/panel wipe seems to be a bit of a stretch.
    Not a stretch if they haven`t tested it themselves. We all know it will work, because we`ve all mix-and-matched products from different lines. I think if they said they can`t verify how well it will work vs "nothing works as well as our stuff", I think it would be less irritating.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta love a loophole.

Post Thanks / Like

I paid $59.99 and got 10ml of gloss coat in there Giant syringe. I’m still waiting on the other 20mls they owe me.

Post Thanks / Like

For the cost of GC, it should perform much better. I suppose the trade-off is ease of use.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information