Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

help me pick a coating

I`m re-starting my detailing business, last time around I just kind of haphazardly used whatever products I liked. As I was always buying and trying out new stuff my repertoire would change from week to week. This time around I want to stick with a base of products. I`d like to have 3 coatings, I`m going to have QP-ON 2.0 for my entry level, it`s cheap and lasts a year. For the other end CSL+EXO v4 topped with C2v3. For the mid I was going to go with MOHS, but 2 coatings with waiting an hour in between`s not great for a mobile detailer. And it`s the same price as CSL+EXO V4 which defeats the purpose of it being a mid level offering. CQuartz is out of the running also because they recommend 2 coats, and waiting 1-3 hours between. I`ve been out of the detailing game for over a year, so I`m behind the times a bit on new products still. I know the big dogs, but what smaller brand should I be looking at for a single, or double layer with no waiting that lasts 12-24 months.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: help me pick a coating

What about McKee`s 37 for a mid level. I`ve been pretty happy with it but I`m not a pro detailer.

Post Thanks / Like

Why not just use CSL or Exo as your mid level offering. CSL only requires 1 coat and it is recommended to apply two coats with Exo which can be done as soon as the first coat is applied.

As far as Cquartz they recommend 2 coats but it is not a requirement. As long as you feel that you got even coverage then you are fine.

But as I was saying you already have what you need with GTechniq.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, Cquartz UK 3, which is quite nicely priced, you can apply 2nd layer "within 45-60 minutes OR after 24 hrs" or something to that effect.

Point being, break the vehicle up into sections and you can get 2 layers of UK 3 down VERY quickly.

I gave both CQUK 3 and CSL/EXO a go last winter and watching the vehicles since then prefer how CQ UK 3 is doing. I did top the CQUK w Gliss though.

I used CSL on it`s own topped with C2V3 back in 2017 and it was among the worst combos I used as far as keeping itself clean...until the C2V3 wore off about a month later.

Personally, after trying a boxload of coatings over the last 2.5 years, I just dont get why many think CSL/EXO is "the best coating in all the kingdom" as I have found a few others that eat it for lunch as far as hydrophobic behavior and self-cleaning goes. Does apply like a dream though and has a nice deep, rich look.

Everybody is different though, gotta use what works for you. Plenty of good choices out there.

Additional coats may be applied with 45-60 minutes or wait until the following day if you are beyond 60 minutes. `CarPro recommends`2 coats. Max Layer - 3 coats.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by c5longhorn View Post
    What about McKee`s 37 for a mid level. I`ve been pretty happy with it but I`m not a pro detailer.

See, thank you I will go read up on that. Never used anything from them, but I`ve used Pinnacle & Wolfgang & Blackfire stuff. And I liked everything I used. PBMG puts out good stuff. As for the "pro detailer" haha, I mean I`m pretty good at it, and I will be doing it to make money. But compared to a lot of the folks on here, I`m not a pro detailer either lol. In my town it doesn`t take much to impress people for detailing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Why not just use CSL or Exo as your mid level offering. CSL only requires 1 coat and it is recommended to apply two coats with Exo which can be done as soon as the first coat is applied.

As far as Cquartz they recommend 2 coats but it is not a requirement. As long as you feel that you got even coverage then you are fine.

But as I was saying you already have what you need with GTechniq.

Such a simple answer, that`s probably why I didn`t think of it. When I started processing this out in my brain, the original coating section of my web site has SIX different coating offerings. I realized, that was way too much. Maybe even 3`s too much still. But with you`re suggestion I have 4, since I use 2 for 1 it`s like I have 3 total.

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    FWIW, Cquartz UK 3, which is quite nicely priced, you can apply 2nd layer "within 45-60 minutes OR after 24 hrs" or something to that effect.

Point being, break the vehicle up into sections and you can get 2 layers of UK 3 down VERY quickly.

I gave both CQUK 3 and CSL/EXO a go last winter and watching the vehicles since then prefer how CQ UK 3 is doing. I did top the CQUK w Gliss though.

I used CSL on it`s own topped with C2V3 back in 2017 and it was among the worst combos I used as far as keeping itself clean...until the C2V3 wore off about a month later.

Personally, after trying a boxload of coatings over the last 2.5 years, I just dont get why many think CSL/EXO is "the best coating in all the kingdom" as I have found a few others that eat it for lunch as far as hydrophobic behavior and self-cleaning goes. Does apply like a dream though and has a nice deep, rich look.

Everybody is different though, gotta use what works for you. Plenty of good choices out there.
    Well, the last coating I applied was 3 years ago, I haven`t ordered anything yet, I`m still planning things out in my head. I might end up going UK 3.0 + Gliss for my top end and just offer UK for the mid. I was basing my thoughts on everything I`ve read and seen on videos. People are getting 3-5 years from a properly coated and maintained CSL+EXO. I`m seeing 24 months with UK 3.0, which isn`t bad but shorter. The only other I could find that was in the 5 year range where you actually could get 5 years. And not some crazy manufacturer claim is Zapang from Kamikaze. And that`s like $350, which is a lot lot lot of cash. I`m sure it`s every bit as great as Todd from Esoteric claims, but $350`s close to what I`d want to charge customers. I should go do more reading on UK 3.0. Or maybe I could try CSL+EXO and UK 3.0 myself. My 1st 4 customers who get a coating and have me maintain it can be my test dummies. I just looked at UK 3.0 kit prices and it`s cheaper than I thought. 1 coating topped with Reload could be the killer mid price option.

There are too many products out there which is a bad thing for me lol. Coating`s aren`t exactly a $20 bottle of shampoo where I can try 6 different ones in a few months. Or a cheap(er) spray wax. I gotta rely on people on forums and YT, and everyone has a favorite. Thanks for pointing out the breaking up the vehicle part, I mean I knew that. But saying it made me think about it. My pea brain was = 1 hour, 1 hour after I`m done. No, 1 hour after I start wiping it off the 1st panel. So there`s not a 60 minute stretch, maybe none at all.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Do yourself a favor and look at Kamikaze, a coating for each level you want. Stupid easy. My only advice, just offer 2 levels. A short term and a more durable. Makes it easier for the client. We went thru all that and it just confused the client.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by quebert View Post
    Such a simple answer, that`s probably why I didn`t think of it. When I started processing this out in my brain, the original coating section of my web site has SIX different coating offerings. I realized, that was way too much. Maybe even 3`s too much still. But with you`re suggestion I have 4, since I use 2 for 1 it`s like I have 3 total.

Well, the last coating I applied was 3 years ago, I haven`t ordered anything yet, I`m still planning things out in my head. I might end up going UK 3.0 + Gliss for my top end and just offer UK for the mid. I was basing my thoughts on everything I`ve read and seen on videos. People are getting 3-5 years from a properly coated and maintained CSL+EXO. I`m seeing 24 months with UK 3.0, which isn`t bad but shorter. The only other I could find that was in the 5 year range where you actually could get 5 years. And not some crazy manufacturer claim is Zapang from Kamikaze. And that`s like $350, which is a lot lot lot of cash. I`m sure it`s every bit as great as Todd from Esoteric claims, but $350`s close to what I`d want to charge customers. I should go do more reading on UK 3.0. Or maybe I could try CSL+EXO and UK 3.0 myself. My 1st 4 customers who get a coating and have me maintain it can be my test dummies. I just looked at UK 3.0 kit prices and it`s cheaper than I thought. 1 coating topped with Reload could be the killer mid price option.

There are too many products out there which is a bad thing for me lol. Coating`s aren`t exactly a $20 bottle of shampoo where I can try 6 different ones in a few months. Or a cheap(er) spray wax. I gotta rely on people on forums and YT, and everyone has a favorite. Thanks for pointing out the breaking up the vehicle part, I mean I knew that. But saying it made me think about it. My pea brain was = 1 hour, 1 hour after I`m done. No, 1 hour after I start wiping it off the 1st panel. So there`s not a 60 minute stretch, maybe none at all.
    First thing is don’t get caught up in the clams of how long a coating lasts. This is going to very depending on each persons environment. You may not see the claimed 5 years that GTechniq claims. More realistically it will be half of that claim at best.

If you want to simplify it even more offer Exo as your entry level and CSL as your mid and CSL/Exo as your top end of you want to stay within the GTechniq line.

They are a nice to work with which is why many like using them. CSL is nice just not as hydrophobic as some of the other coatings. The benefit is that only one coat is needed.

Cquartz offers a good line up as well. CQUK 3.0 works well as a stand alone. If you want to stay within this line up get yourself Cquartz Lite for entry level and CQUK 3.0 for everything else. Gliss can be an add on.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Marine Clerk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    Do yourself a favor and look at Kamikaze, a coating for each level you want. Stupid easy. My only advice, just offer 2 levels. A short term and a more durable. Makes it easier for the client. We went thru all that and it just confused the client.
    I really did think about going this way, but their cheapest coating costs what CSL+EXO v4 cost, and that was going to be my top offering. I`m not Larry from AMMO and I won`t have customers who have car collections. I was looking to spend about $60 and $120 on whichever 2 I offer. Miyabi`s $119 and ISM`s $139 or $149. I like your 2 coating idea, and maybe since coatings will be the smallest percentage of my business. The price of going Kamikaze wouldn`t be so bad. I`ve watched all of Todd`s videos I definitely love what Kamikaze offer. Miyabi topped with Overcoat would greatness. Does Esoteric ever have like 20% sales? I`m so use to here and AG and getting 20-25% it would hard for me to swallow always paying retail lol.

Hummm, as always I ask a question here and I get too much help.

Post Thanks / Like

For an entry level coating PBL Paint Coating would be my choice especially if you are mobile. It goes on easy, you can get 4+ cars out of a bottle, it doesn’t harden in the bottle, and it lasts 12-24 months. I had it last 24 months on a not very well taken care of car. Use Essence as an AOI and top it with the PBL, quick and relatively inexpensive.

The new McKees formula will harden in the bottle if not used quickly.

I would offer CQuartzUK 3.0 for its application temperature range. As a mobile detailer you need something that will apply the same in different temperatures and U.K. fits the bill. I just use one coat with Essence as the primer with good results. For an additional charge you can top it with Gliss. Upselling will increase your profits and the customer will go for the extra slickness.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    For an entry level coating PBL Paint Coating would be my choice especially if you are mobile. It goes on easy, you can get 4+ cars out of a bottle, it doesn’t harden in the bottle, and it lasts 12-24 months. I had it last 24 months on a not very well taken care of car. Use Essence as an AOI and top it with the PBL, quick and relatively inexpensive.

The new McKees formula will harden in the bottle if not used quickly.

I would offer CQuartzUK 3.0 for its application temperature range. As a mobile detailer you need something that will apply the same in different temperatures and U.K. fits the bill. I just use one coat with Essence as the primer with good results. For an additional charge you can top it with Gliss. Upselling will increase your profits and the customer will go for the extra slickness.

UK 3.0 + Gliss sounds good, but the instructions say to apply it 4 hours after CQuartz, or 45 minutes if CQ was IR cured. For mobile a 4 hour wait would be a no go. UK 3.0 on it`s own looks sweet for the price. So even without Gliss it could be a good option. AND THANK YOU for mentioning Essence, I was looking for it but couldn`t remember anything about it. I thought maybe some YT videos would jog my memory. But all that did was lead me to discover AngelWax Enigma AIO, which I watched 5 videos about and ended up ordering today. Awh well, when it runs out I`ll get some Essence.

HUMMM since my web site won`t be listing the names of the coatings, maybe I`ll offer 2, but still use all 6 I originally was thinking about. That way I can become comfortable with a range of products and level up my abilities.
    Likes Marine Clerk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m using UK 3.0 + GlissV2, very satisfied with it.

Topping with EliXir monthly, it goes on like a detailing mist and is Not streaky.

Using Merlins Elixir as a sacrificial topping plus it has hydrophobic properties and added slickness.

PMed with Guz(thanks again) for give and take sessions before using this combo.
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

UK 3.0 + Gliss sounds good, but the instructions say to apply it 4 hours after CQuartz, or 45 minutes if CQ was IR cured. For mobile a 4 hour wait would be a no go. UK 3.0 on it`s own looks sweet for the price. So even without Gliss it could be a good option. AND THANK YOU for mentioning Essence, I was looking for it but couldn`t remember anything about it. I thought maybe some YT videos would jog my memory. But all that did was lead me to discover AngelWax Enigma AIO, which I watched 5 videos about and ended up ordering today. Awh well, when it runs out I`ll get some Essence.

HUMMM since my web site won`t be listing the names of the coatings, maybe I`ll offer 2, but still use all 6 I originally was thinking about. That way I can become comfortable with a range of products and level up my abilities.
    Gliss is not a requirement for using CQUK 3.0. CQUK 3.0 does a good job without it. But yes the minimum time is 4 hours after the last coat of CQUK 3.0.

Unlike CSL, CQUK 3.0 does not need a topper to get good hydrophobic properties. Exo is what takes CSL to the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by Marine Clerk View Post
    I`m using UK 3.0 + GlissV2, very satisfied with it.

Topping with EliXir monthly, it goes on like a detailing mist and is Not streaky.

Using Merlins Elixir as a sacrificial topping plus it has hydrophobic properties and added slickness.

PMed with Guz(thanks again) for give and take sessions before using this combo.

Glad I could and it’s good to see you are enjoying that combo.
    Likes Marine Clerk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I would second the Guz, Exo entry, CSL mid and the combo as your higher end. CSL is good for 3-5 according to them, if you can offer almost 2 from EXO and over 2 for CSL then 4 ish for the combo that sounds like a winning combo to me. KISS Keep It Simple Stupid (or as Mike P likes to say for the last S, Simon)
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    I would second the Guz, Exo entry, CSL mid and the combo as your higher end. CSL is good for 3-5 according to them, if you can offer almost 2 from EXO and over 2 for CSL then 4 ish for the combo that sounds like a winning combo to me. KISS Keep It Simple Stupid (or as Mike P likes to say for the last S, Simon)
    I think this, but with only 2 levels, I can use either EXO or CSL for the basic level, and the combo for the high. EXO and CSL are like $5 apart. Looking at GTechniq`s comparison chart, it really sucks. EXO is way more dirt repellent, but looks like it pretty poor at protecting swirl`s during washes. And CSL`s the exact opposite. And every other coating combo I`m finding that would be sweet, has a 4 hour cure time, which means I`d have to make return trips, or wait around forever. I`m probably way overthinking this. Even with EXO not having the hardless of CSL and CSL not being as good as EXO for repelling dirt. Either would be leagues above having no protection. And the people I do this for, aren`t Autopia`ers who know about every damn thing. The people out here think a "full detail" is a wash + wax + vacuuming.

I`ll buy the GTechniq stuff and do my best to up-sell to the Black combo. And maybe 5 years down the road I can become an accredited GTechniq installer. I don`t know how, but they guarantee CSL+EXO for 5 years if you have someone they certified do it.

Post Thanks / Like

I think this, but with only 2 levels, I can use either EXO or CSL for the basic level, and the combo for the high. EXO and CSL are like $5 apart. Looking at GTechniq`s comparison chart, it really sucks. EXO is way more dirt repellent, but looks like it pretty poor at protecting swirl`s during washes. And CSL`s the exact opposite. And every other coating combo I`m finding that would be sweet, has a 4 hour cure time, which means I`d have to make return trips, or wait around forever. I`m probably way overthinking this. Even with EXO not having the hardless of CSL and CSL not being as good as EXO for repelling dirt. Either would be leagues above having no protection. And the people I do this for, aren`t Autopia`ers who know about every damn thing. The people out here think a "full detail" is a wash + wax + vacuuming.

I`ll buy the GTechniq stuff and do my best to up-sell to the Black combo. And maybe 5 years down the road I can become an accredited GTechniq installer. I don`t know how, but they guarantee CSL+EXO for 5 years if you have someone they certified do it.

First, find a customer that wants a coating, then buy the products on Amazon with Prime. There is no sense with buying coatings in hopes that you will find a customer that wants a coating, find the customer first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information