Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Will my tires ever come clean

Decided to try out the Tuff Shine cleaner and clearcoat on my wife`s 2018 Nissan Murano. The only issue everyone talked about was make sure the tire is clean. No problem I thought since we purchased the vehicle in Oct. of last year the tires have only been washed. Never dressed or coated.

Well I`ve now scrubbed the tire ten times and the suds still are not white. I don`t want to take a chance and put on the clearcoat have it look like crap.

The tires are Continental Cross Sports.

Any help would be great as I`m about to call it quits and go another route.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Will my tires ever come clean

I`ve stopped scrubbing *clean* for the last 8-9 years or so. I just clean them well with the pressure washer, before applying. In my mind, one is causing more harm than good, removing the tire blooming agents.

TS is soooooo easy to apply, if it doe not last that long, no big deal. Just another HP rise, and another ~swipe~ with the sponge when it drops off...
    Likes Vegas1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas1 View Post
    Decided to try out the Tuff Shine cleaner and clearcoat on my wife`s 2018 Nissan Murano. The only issue everyone talked about was make sure the tire is clean. No problem I thought since we purchased the vehicle in Oct. of last year the tires have only been washed. Never dressed or coated.

Well I`ve now scrubbed the tire ten times and the suds still are not white. I don`t want to take a chance and put on the clearcoat have it look like crap.

The tires are Continental Cross Sports.

Any help would be great as I`m about to call it quits and go another route.
    You`re probably seeing the antiozonants coming to the surface. I limit deep cleaning tires to special occasions like full details, I don`t ever fully clean a tire for maintenance (APC @ 1:10 works well). With harsh chemicals we can start deteriorating the rubber and pull the antiozonants out of it, cutting the tires ability to not dry out, etc. Go ahead and apply the clearcocat. If they turn brown, they turn brown, it`s okay.
    Likes Vegas1, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    I`ve stopped scrubbing *clean* for the last 8-9 years or so. I just clean them well with the pressure washer, before applying. In my mind, one is causing more harm than good, removing the tire blooming agents.

TS is soooooo easy to apply, if it doe not last that long, no big deal. Just another HP rise, and another ~swipe~ with the sponge when it drops off...
    Interesting since I have the pressure washer out as I`m cleaning my deck. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    You`re probably seeing the antiozonants coming to the surface. I limit deep cleaning tires to special occasions like full details, I don`t ever fully clean a tire for maintenance (APC @ 1:10 works well). With harsh chemicals we can start deteriorating the rubber and pull the antiozonants out of it, cutting the tires ability to not dry out, etc. Go ahead and apply the clearcocat. If they turn brown, they turn brown, it`s okay.
    Hope I didn`t damage the tire. I think I`ll just go ahead and coat them tomorrow. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to be clear you were rinsing the brush well between cleanings right? (Not trying to offend you here, just need to know your process) If not you will never have clean suds. 10 cleanings does seem excessive. I`m normally around 5 +/- 1 to prep tires for tuff shine clear coat.
    John

JEMM Auto Detailing - Serving the Greater Binghamton, NY area

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by audicoupej View Post
    Just to be clear you were rinsing the brush well between cleanings right? (Not trying to offend you here, just need to know your process) If not you will never have clean suds. 10 cleanings does seem excessive. I`m normally around 5 +/- 1 to prep tires for tuff shine clear coat.
    Always rinsed well till the water coming through the brush was clear.

I was expecting maybe 5 at the most since the tires had never been dressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas1 View Post
    Always rinsed well till the water coming through the brush was clear.

I was expecting maybe 5 at the most since the tires had never been dressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You should be good to coat then. Let us know how it works out.
    John

JEMM Auto Detailing - Serving the Greater Binghamton, NY area

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve never used the Tuff Shine cleaner, I`ve always used Mother`s, which is cheaper and works well enough for me. That said, the key is to get the sidewalls looking PERFECT. Tuff Shine does very little if ANYTHING to the appearance of the tire other than adding a bit of gloss. In fact it seems to make defects look worse. If there is a smidge of brown anywhere on the tire, Tuff Shine will make it more visible!

Post Thanks / Like

I`m all out on Mothers but TS tire cleaner is at least 2.5X more potent than the mothers IME. You may not even get *more brown* with mothers thinking pretty clean, grab the TS and spray and you will get ~brown~. I don`t merit the color of cleaning though like I mentioned in my OP....I just opt for clean enough. Tires ain`t cheap - $400+ a corner when you figure $3 and change for a tire plus another $30-$40 per M/B. I`m keeping my blooming agents

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Raining today then won`t get a chance till next week to work on them. I`ll update then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I`ve never used the Tuff Shine cleaner, I`ve always used Mother`s, which is cheaper and works well enough for me. That said, the key is to get the sidewalls looking PERFECT. Tuff Shine does very little if ANYTHING to the appearance of the tire other than adding a bit of gloss. In fact it seems to make defects look worse. If there is a smidge of brown anywhere on the tire, Tuff Shine will make it more visible!
    The only tire coating I`ve ever used is the famous TW Endura. Super easy to use. Just don`t have enough left to do the wife`s larger SUV tires. But I still have enough left to do mine one more time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Now you tell me. (LOL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    I`m all out on Mothers but TS tire cleaner is at least 2.5X more potent than the mothers IME. You may not even get *more brown* with mothers thinking pretty clean, grab the TS and spray and you will get ~brown~. I don`t merit the color of cleaning though like I mentioned in my OP....I just opt for clean enough. Tires ain`t cheap - $400+ a corner when you figure $3 and change for a tire plus another $30-$40 per M/B. I`m keeping my blooming agents
    Thanks for all the info.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Vegas, fwiw 1 coat is enough for me on TS. 2 coats is too glossy for me...but then it might be right for the masses eyes
    Likes Stokdgs, Vegas1 liked this post

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information